INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

AltMed cash in on Swine Flu outbreak

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

AltMed cash in on Swine Flu outbreak

#1 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 1:16 am

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Lemonade Lily

Re: AltMed cash in on Swine Flu outbreak

#2 Post by Lemonade Lily » April 28th, 2009, 10:17 am

And of course the Homeopaths...http://www.helios.co.uk/swine_flu.html...who although they do not
"have a nosode"
for swine flu as yet because they haven't got hold of any of the
"disease material"
yet (my mind boggles).
But they do recommend some preventative measures (not the ones one would expect like wash hands, blah...) but supplements and homeopathic remedies which have
"been shown to be very effective in the treatment of epidemic diseases"
...oh?.....has anyone told WHO?
"However it must be stressed that there is at present only anecdotal proof that homoeopathic prophylaxis works"
.......anecdotal proof?? Nothing like a homeopathic oxymoron to start the day.

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 10:58 am

It had to happen. But do these people not have better things to do?
********************************************************************************
Israeli official: Swine flu name offensive
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090427/ap_ ... kosher_flu
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Israeli official: Swine flu name offensive
AP

Mon Apr 27, 10:07 am ET

JERUSALEM – The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.

Deputy Health Minister Yakov Litzman said the reference to pigs is offensive to both religions and "we should call this Mexican flu and not swine flu," he told a news conference at a hospital in central Israel.

Both Judaism and Islam consider pigs unclean and forbid the eating of pork products.

Scientists are unsure where the new swine flu virus originally emerged, though it was identifed first in the United States. They say there is nothing about the virus that makes it "Mexican" and worry such a label would be stigmatizing.

Two Israelis who recently visited Mexico have been hospitalized with symptoms of the flu. Health authorities have not yet confirmed whether they actually have the virus.

The current strain of swine flu is thought to have originated in Mexico where more than 100 people have been killed by the disease so far.

Laboratories in the U.S. and Canada have confirmed that of the samples tested so far, the swine flu virus in Mexico and U.S. appear to be the same.

[Retrieved: Tue Apr 28 2009 10:57:28 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)]

###################
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 11:35 am

I commented on the above in today's Scotsman. It'll be interesting to see the reaction.
Alan Henness

MedMae

#5 Post by MedMae » April 28th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I have one thing to say about all these alt med con artistis and religious nuts:

Their all swine!
Complexity is just simplicity multiplied to a point which exceeds a particular level of comprehension. - Theowarner

Lemonade Lily

#6 Post by Lemonade Lily » April 28th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Sad and predictable for a politician (ultra-orthodox according to Beeb)
Clearly he has nothing better to do
I have good old fashioned British flu at the moment (no insult intended) - well actually probably just a rotten cold!

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Alan Henness

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 1:33 pm

At least someone has their measure:
********************************************************************************
Disgusting homeopaths seek to exploit swine flu :: Damian Thompson
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_tho ... _swine_flu
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Disgusting homeopaths seek to exploit swine flu
Posted By: Damian Thompson at Apr 28, 2009 at 00:33:00 [General]
Posted in: Society , Religion
Tags:
Counterknowledge, Homeopathy, Swine Flu, swine flu virus

Well, that didn't take long. Homeopaths are already advertising their UTTERLY USELESS remedies for swine flu. Remember: this branch of pseudoscience, endorsed by the Prince of Wales and subsidised by the NHS, can do nothing to treat ordinary flu, let alone this new lethal variety.

But here comes Helios Homoeopathy, manufacturer of "high quality homeopathic remedies" (they can't even decide how to spell the word). I'm not going to link to their website, which sells snake oil straight off the page, but this is what they claim (hat-tip Ben Goldacre, who in my opinion deserves a knighthood for his services to the public understanding of science):

Due to the current reports of an approaching SWINE FLU epidemic, we have been inundated with questions. Here is some information, advice and a few suggestions for homeopathic remedies which have been traditionally used to treat the acute phase of flu and to speed up recovery.

The symptoms of H1N1 swine flu are similar to many other flu viruses. Fever and coughing are two of the most common symptoms but they can also include headache, chills, loss of appetite, muscle aches and fatigue as well as throat irritation. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea may also occur. Remedies for the acute stage would be determined in the usual homeopathic manner of selecting the best matched remedy for the symptoms being experienced. The elderly and vulnerable are more at risk of complications.

It is important for those more at risk to seek professional help from their homeopath or health practitioner now. Constitutional treatment is the best way for anyone to strengthen the immune system and Helios would recommend consulting a homoeopath.

At present we do not have a nosode, i.e.a remedy made from the disease material. However, we do have existing remedies which have been used successfully over many years to treat all stages of flu. These are effective and safe for everyone from babies to the elderly.

The homeopathic advice regarding Swine flu is that your best protection against disease comes from looking after your health generally and taking simple common-sense preventative measures. It is important for those more at risk, including the elderly and vulnerable, to seek professional help from their homeopath or health practitioner.

There are also a number of vitamin and mineral supplements and herbal remedies that will help to boost the immune system.

Now I'm not a doctor (well, I am, actually, but of the sociology of religion, which makes me just as much an expert in swine flu as Helios Homeopaths) but I can tell you one thing: if you think you have any sort of flu, do not consult a homeopath. Or any practitioner of alternative "medicine". I've got a friend who walks with a stick because cranial osteopaths diagnosed his bacterial infection of the spine as a virus.

Now, I'm not of course saying that the Prince of Wales endorses the wildly irresponsible claims of Helios Homeopaths. But he has devoted much of his life to persuading the public that this stuff works. Which it doesn't - at least, no better than placebos. And for that reason alone I hope the Queen outlives him.

[Retrieved: Tue Apr 28 2009 13:32:41 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)]

###################
Alan Henness

jaywhat

#9 Post by jaywhat » April 28th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Quotin AH
>JERUSALEM – The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.<

What hogwash!

So I am in a sharia court as a witness to a road accident and I cannot say what sort of animal ran out into the road in front of the cyclist. Is there no word for 'pig' in Hebrew or Arabic or are they just not allowed to speak its name?

Nick

#10 Post by Nick » April 28th, 2009, 2:24 pm

I'm puzzled by their sensitivity.... :puzzled:

After all, aren't they supposed to be 'unclean'? (Swine, that is, not Muslims and Jews.)

Isn't that therefore quite an apt name for a strain of flu?

Oh,well. Perhaps we should call it Moses Flu instead. Moses isn't offensive to rabbis, is he?

getreal

#11 Post by getreal » April 28th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Alan H. It's an ill wind...

Why don't people realise that statements like those by Yakov Litzman are counter productive, leading opponents of their particular views feeling justified in demonising them due to their beliefs?
When I first read this I was not entirely convinced that someone as senior as Litzman would have actually said such a thing in public and thought it may have been invented to cast Israel in an unfavorable light.

A few minutes on Google proved that I was alas, wrong. He is indeed a twat.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#12 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Alan Henness

getreal

#13 Post by getreal » April 28th, 2009, 5:54 pm

*sigh*

(at least I think that's how it's phrased)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Ken H

#14 Post by Ken H » April 28th, 2009, 8:21 pm

So far, there have been 64 confirmed cases of swine flu in the US, most have been fairly mild with no deaths reported. Annually over 36,000 Americans die from flu related causes. Hardly a reason to panic at this point.

The Mexican flu? That would probably insult most Mexicans. Maybe call it Montezuma's flu, Like that intestinal disease many tourists to Mexico get, "Montezuma's revenge".
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » April 28th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Courtesy of Skepchick.

Things More Likely to Save You From Swine Flu Than Homeopathy
April 28th, 2009 by Rebecca · 11 Comments
No Gravatar

1. Private island
2. Gas mask
3. Real medicine
4. Aliens
5. Mace
6. Jesus (note: only if you’re in a Stephen King novel)
7. Superman
8. Your own immune system

A short recap for those stumbling upon Skepchick for the first time: homeopathy is nothing more than regular water, shaken up and packaged in boxes covered in lies and sold to people who don’t know any better. For a more thorough overview, see this post.

Mark, an official Friend of Skepchick, tweeted us a link to this ridiculous site trying to sell homeopathic remedies by capitalizing on the world’s panicked reaction to outbreaks of swine flu. Here are some highlights (bolding mine):

It is important for those more at risk to seek professional help from their homeopath, GP or health practitioner now. Constitutional treatment is the best way for anyone to strengthen the immune system and Helios would recommend consulting a homoeopath.

Sorry, no. Just . . . no. If you are “more at risk” to have a deadly infectious virus, like you just got back from a pig-licking tour of Mexico* where you were repeatedly sneezed on, then you should see a real medical professional. Homeopaths do not necessarily have medical degrees and all they can do is give you sugar water and then maybe contract swine flu from you and then you can die in one another’s arms, just like Romeo and Juliet only stupider, which is really saying something.

At present we do not have a nosode, i.e.a remedy made from the disease material. However, we do have existing remedies which have been used successfully over many years to treat all stages of flu. These are safe for everyone from babies to the elderly.

Man I am so hoping they manage to get their hot little hands on a vial of swine flu so they can bust that sucker open and dilute the crap out of it until they have their extra special magic water, which they can then drink to cure the swine flu they just gave themselves.

In the meantime, feel free to self-treat your deadly, human race-ending disease with a variety of other products, all of which are actually just water and therefore are, in fact, perfectly safe for everyone from babies to the elderly. Until they all die of the swine flu.

Homoeopathy has a long history in the treatment and prevention of epidemic diseases.

That part is true. Back when hospitals were rife with infectious diseases and visiting the doctor was more likely to cause you harm than good, sitting at home and drinking a glass of water was a much better way to stem the spread of a virus. In fact, sitting at home and doing just about anything was better, but of course one should always stay hydrated. While you die of the swine flu.

That about sums up the total amount of good homeopathy has done for infectious disease.

However it must be stressed that there is at present only anecdotal and bibliographical evidence that homoeopathic prophylaxis works.

And there you have it! As the old joke goes: What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.

Those of you who are worried about swine flu: skip the homeopathy, stay clear of crowded public spaces, wash your hands, talk to a doctor if you have symptoms, and calm the frig down because getting riled up is only going to weaken your immune system more. Oh, the irony!

*I’m kidding: you aren’t more at risk by licking pigs, but you are more at risk for being in an area with known cases, which includes parts of Mexico. But seriously, why are you licking pigs?
Alan Henness

Fia

#16 Post by Fia » April 28th, 2009, 10:32 pm

JERUSALEM – The outbreak of swine flu should be renamed "Mexican" influenza in deference to Muslim and Jewish sensitivities over pork, said an Israeli health official Monday.
At last! Something they can agree upon :)
From small acorns and all that...

So I suggest "Peace" influenza :D

Lemonade Lily

#17 Post by Lemonade Lily » April 29th, 2009, 2:36 pm

How about the alternative to Tamiflu? Baniflu?

http://www.enaturalremedies.co.uk/banif ... accine.htm
Homeopathic remedy temporarily protects against flu virus and germs - safe for all ages
BaniFlu Temporarily:
Provides seasonal protection against current flu viruses
Increases the body’s ability to fight against invading germs
Improves recovery time from common flu symptoms (blocked nose, sneezing, coughing)
Discourages secondary complications of the lungs, chest, throat and ears
Protects against the flu while traveling or on vacation

Homeopathic flu vaccine alternative to prevent the flu and address common symptoms.
You couldn't make it up...........actually they did.

Alan C.

#18 Post by Alan C. » April 29th, 2009, 2:47 pm

^^^They should be prosecuted for (possibly) putting people in danger with their unproven and outlandish claims.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

grammar king

#19 Post by grammar king » April 29th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Fia wrote:
At last! Something they can agree upon :)
From small acorns and all that...

So I suggest "Peace" influenza :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T4Wk9M2 ... re=related :D

Fia

#20 Post by Fia » April 29th, 2009, 8:39 pm

:pointlaugh: