INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Organ Transplant phenomena

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
grammar king

Organ Transplant phenomena

#1 Postby grammar king » September 14th, 2008, 12:49 pm

What do you think of the stories we sometimes hear of patients receiving the organs from someone they don't know, and taking on some personality traits of that person?

I was having a discussion with someone about the lack of evidence for a soul, and to my surprise they brought this up as possible evidence. Obviously I tend to side with cellular memory as a possible explanation, but do you think the stories are even true? Not a lot of scientific research goes into it and they tend to appear in tabloids and on daytime TV. It's also quite difficult to double blind something like this. I've often seen people cite "documented cases" but not once have I ever seen any such documentation.

What do you think?

Alan H

Re: Organ Transplant phenomena

#2 Postby Alan H » September 14th, 2008, 2:11 pm

It seems highly unlikely.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

#3 Postby jaywhat » September 15th, 2008, 6:28 am

No more than, say, than eating pork would make you grunt.

Paolo

#4 Postby Paolo » September 15th, 2008, 7:30 am

Having an organ transplant suggests that the recipient has been very ill (likely to die), have undergone painful surgery and have been exposed to a lot of medication. There are cases where any one of those three factors have caused substantial changes in a person's personality. A commonly heard about change in personality is a considerably more proactive and positive outlook on life. I would expect that people donating their organs (or families that OK the use of a person's organs based on what that person was like in their life) are generally positive-thinking people (I have not seen any studies on this so this is almost as tenuous as the soul idea), so personality traits that get "passed on" may actually reflect a paradigm shift in the recipient towards an outlook that happens to have been shared by the donor.

All hand-waving unsubstantiated theorising, but at least it doesn't invoke totally unnecessary supernatural influences!

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#5 Postby Maria Mac » September 15th, 2008, 6:24 pm

If there were an iota of truth in it I've no doubt my fastidious husband would willingly give me his kidney in the hope it would make me less untidy.

I could just about swallow a psychological explanation for this alleged phenomenon if, indeed, it exists at all.

LilacHamster

#6 Postby LilacHamster » September 20th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Ha! Maria, my husband always thinks I find ways to avoid housework, and you know what he is absolutely right!

I don't know about this phenomenon or if it exists, but I have heard some other puzzling things I cannot work out the answer to. The main one is when people who claim to remember past lives, then those things they remember are actually verified and it does seem they are remembering the life of a real person who existed. There have been a few cases like this, I can look them up, so I would like to know what the explanation is for this (are they all totally made up?). I saw a program on TV once about it.

A few years ago a friend tried to hypnotise me as I was interested in past lives, but it didn't work for me. It was around the time when I had a brief flirtation with a group called the London Earth Mysteries Circle, lovely people actually although they had some ideas I would think a bit strange now and are not the kind of group I would go to now. They weren't anything sinister or cultish or controlling like some such groups might be.

Lesley

Alan H

#7 Postby Alan H » September 20th, 2008, 5:46 pm

LilacHamster wrote:I don't know about this phenomenon or if it exists, but I have heard some other puzzling things I cannot work out the answer to. The main one is when people who claim to remember past lives, then those things they remember are actually verified and it does seem they are remembering the life of a real person who existed. There have been a few cases like this, I can look them up, so I would like to know what the explanation is for this (are they all totally made up?). I saw a program on TV once about it.
There are a few possible explanations:

1. That they are actually remembering what their body/soul experienced in a previous life.
2. That they are making it up and any 'hits' are post fitted to the recalled memories.
3. That they are simply recalling things they had heard/read/experienced in their current life, but have just forgotten they had.
4. That they are simply recalling things they had heard/read/experienced in their current life, and are pretending to not know.

Possible explanations 2, 3 and 4 are very simple and easily understood. Possible explanation 1 would be extraordinary and, as such, would require an extraordinary explanation as to how it could occur. As part of that, explanations 2, 3 and 4 would have to be rigorously and conclusive investigated and rejected for each case.

I wouldn't hold my breath.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Return to “Sciences and pseudo-science”