INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Aliens, biology, evolution and organised religion.

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
allybalder

Aliens, biology, evolution and organised religion.

#1 Post by allybalder » July 17th, 2007, 1:03 am

A friend who keeps a closer eye and ear to Radio3 progs. than I do told me about this earlier - of course I missed it but just listened again.

The Essay
Life, But Not As We Know It
Listen to this episode for up to 7 days after broadcast
Monday 16 July 2007 23:00-23:15 (Radio 3)

A biologist, a writer and a philosopher each explore their fascination with the notion of extraterrestrial intelligence and what such a discovery could mean for the future of humanity.

Duration:
15 minutes

Playlist:
1/3. Biologist Jack Cohen on why the discovery of aliens would change our view of biology, evolution and organised religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/theessay/pi ... /?focuswin
check out the Humani forum from our website http://www.nireland.humanists.net

allybalder

Radio 3

#2 Post by allybalder » July 17th, 2007, 11:43 pm

Jack Cohen Biologist was interesting on Mon evening - this is part 2 from a writer
Radio 3 Wed 18th 23:00
The Essay
A biologist, a writer and a philosopher each explore their fascination with the notion of extraterrestrial intelligence and what such a discovery could mean for the future of humanity.

2/3. Writer Andrew Crumey delves into our literary past to discover a fascination with alien life dating back to the middle ages and beyond.

and then on thurs 19th
23:00

The Essay
3/3. Philosopher Nick Bostrom explains why he believes that the discovery of aliens would be a disaster for the future of humanity and lead to the end of civilisation as we know it.

Lucretius

#3 Post by Lucretius » July 27th, 2007, 12:44 am

I find this subject very interesting. Books By Carl Sagan often explore this type of issue. A great humanist.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Mencken