INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Omniculpability = Omniscience + Omnipotence

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Compassionist

Omniculpability = Omniscience + Omnipotence

#1 Post by Compassionist » August 3rd, 2020, 11:28 am

Omniculpability = Omniscience + Omnipotence. If God exists, then, God must be held accountable for failing to prevent all suffering, unfairness and deaths. God is not exempt from ethical conduct. Culpability is directly proportional to power. The greater the power, the greater the culpability. Since living and non-living things are neither omniscient nor omnipotent, we are not omniculpable.

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
― Epicurus

“Ethics, too, are nothing but reverence for life. This is what gives me the fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good consists in maintaining, promoting, and enhancing life, and that destroying, injuring, and limiting life are evil.” – Albert Schweitzer, “Civilization and Ethics”, 1949. Doing good is always good. Doing evil is always evil.

Compassionist

Re: Omniculpability = Omniscience + Omnipotence

#2 Post by Compassionist » August 6th, 2020, 11:30 pm

Religions are lies used to scam people. All the religions contradict each other because they are all false. I respect everyone's human rights. One of these rights is the right to follow any or no religion. So, I am ok with you being religious. I am ok with 86% of currently alive humans being religious. I have no intention of converting you or anyone else out of your religions. As for God or Gods, humans have believed in thousands of Gods over the last 200,000 years. God's or Gods' existence and nature are up for debate.

Lord Muck oGentry

#3 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » August 8th, 2020, 4:27 am

From Leibniz's Theodicy, where he speaks of Bayle on Calvin:

'The ears of some are offended when one says that God willed it. But I ask you, what else is the permission of him who
is entitled to forbid, or rather who has the thing in his own hands, but an act of will?'

The difficulty is not omniscience; it is omnipotence. If you can despise such a god, you must.
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

Compassionist

#4 Post by Compassionist » August 10th, 2020, 10:58 pm

I think omniscience and omnipotence go hand in hand. If one is omniscient, one can use that knowledge to make oneself omnipotent. If one is omnipotent, one can use that omnipotence to become omniscient. Together, omniscience and omnipotence make such a being omniculpable. I am an agnostic atheist. I am not convinced that any omniscient, omnipotent and omniculpable God or Gods exist.