INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Who deserves what?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Compassionist

Who deserves what?

#1 Post by Compassionist » November 6th, 2019, 11:42 am

An enemy of mine told me: "If you can't defend your life, you don't deserve to live. If you can't defend your property, you don't deserve to own property." His worldview is "Might is right. Adapt or die." Certainly, history is full of examples of such events. What do you think and feel about this? Thank you.

Alan H

Re: Who deserves what?

#2 Post by Alan H » November 6th, 2019, 11:43 am

Selfish and uncaring.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Compassionist

Re: Who deserves what?

#3 Post by Compassionist » November 6th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Alan H wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 11:43 am
Selfish and uncaring.
I agree with you Alan H. Unfortunately, many people have been murdered, robbed, raped, abused, assaulted, injured, enslaved, etc. across the planet and across the 200,000 years humans have existed. Humans are not alone in doing terrible things to other living things. Nature is full of examples of living things harming other living things. Carnivores and omnivores kill and eat their victims. Herbivores consume their victims. Only autotrophs don't victimise other living things. “Ethics, too, are nothing but reverence for life. This is what gives me the fundamental principle of morality, namely, that good consists in maintaining, promoting, and enhancing life, and that destroying, injuring, and limiting life are evil.” – Albert Schweitzer, “Civilization and Ethics”, 1949. I totally agree with Albert Schweitzer but my enemies do not. Thank you.