INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Funerals

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
ranter

Funerals

#1 Post by ranter » November 2nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

Thoughts please and I’ll keep this one very brief.
I overhead a colleague saying that her husband ‘doesn’t do funerals’. WTF does that actually mean?
If I didn’t think it was decent and respectful to acknowledge the celebration of life as well as the passing of same, I’d probably ’ opt out' too.
Is it just an excuse to avoid thinking about our own mortality?
Ranter

Alan H

Re: Funerals

#2 Post by Alan H » November 3rd, 2019, 12:19 am

A funeral is for the friends and relatives of the deceased. Some people may not want to be reminded of their mortality or they may not have liked the deceased or his/her friends and family - or he/she may just find them dreary and depressing. Or too religious. or not religious enough...

Each to his own.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

ranter

Re: Funerals

#3 Post by ranter » November 3rd, 2019, 10:44 am

Point taken and a valid one too.
I should have mentioned that the husband who 'doesn't do funerals' was a very close, long standing friend of the man who died.
I, personally would never go to a funeral if I didn't like or respect the person who died, although I know many people who do.
Yes indeed, each to their own!
R