INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Standing for the National Anthem

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Zeff

Standing for the National Anthem

#1 Post by Zeff » September 4th, 2016, 8:41 am

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... k-edition/
I don't know that such 'protest' is sensible. We could all probably find some reason for protest against any national anthem. Would he remains seated for the Russian anthem in Russia? Or the Saudi one in Saudi Arabia?

I tend not to stand for the UK's national anthem or the Scottish National Anthem (if that is Flower of Scotland) because they have no relevance to me. I will only comply in so far as it might seem churlish or arrogant to remain seated. I wouldn't sing either of them. I think they're divisive rather than a show of unity. God Save the Queen has one merit - it is short and instantly forgotten.

I've read discussions about having an English national anthem. Imagine merely swapping GStheQ with Jerusalem! Or, There'll Always be an England.

Under current circumstances it is probably just best to oppose any change. It doesn't look like change will make anything better. An interesting situation though, compared with the past when it seems to have been easy to get almost everyone to sing the anthem and say they were Christians without too much fuss.

I have mixed feelings about the EU anthem....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_-KoBiBG0
but the talk of divinity and "And the Cherubs stand before God" repulse me.

jaywhat

Re: Standing for the National Anthem

#2 Post by jaywhat » September 4th, 2016, 9:47 am

I say stand if you want to, but of course, you may want to because you would otherwise feel uncomfortable or may not want to insult others.

Fia

#3 Post by Fia » September 4th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Yup Jaywhat. Like being in a church I'll stand but remain silent and unbowed.

Zeff: "The Archers" theme tune was suggested by Billy Connelly :D He said folk could learn to "tum-ti-tum" on the coach from the airport.
I used to detest "Flower of Scotland", although a great tune to belt out, as it was so angry. However, since Indyref1 and Brexit I'm warming to "and send them homeward to think again"

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » September 4th, 2016, 6:50 pm

Can't see the need for anthems - or flags.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Zeff

#5 Post by Zeff » September 5th, 2016, 10:50 am

Fia wrote:..."The Archers" theme tune was suggested by Billy Connelly :D He said folk could learn to "tum-ti-tum" on the coach from the airport.
I used to detest "Flower of Scotland", although a great tune to belt out, as it was so angry. However, since Indyref1 and Brexit I'm warming to "and send them homeward to think again"
I am pro-Remain (JMHO), but I like the idea of the Archers' theme. There's no need for flags or anthems, they just exist and a tum-ti-tum anthem would help to keep anthems in a proper perspective and help prevent their over-importance.

Patriotism and nationalism - people think they know the difference but it seems to me we need to decide on one word or the other for the same phenomenon.