INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Small a for All

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
getreal

Small a for All

#1 Post by getreal » July 30th, 2015, 6:02 pm

i came across this small Scottish charity by accident and thought it was such a brilliant idea.
I just with I had found it when I was clearing out my mum and mil's hoises as I threw out loads of new and almost new bras.

What do you think?

http://www.smallsforall.org/aboutus/

I'm not sure if "smells" is a Scottish term. It means underwear.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

Re: Small a for All

#2 Post by Alan H » July 30th, 2015, 6:37 pm

getreal wrote:I'm not sure if "smells" is a Scottish term. It means underwear.
Considering the subject matter, that was an unfortunate typo... :laughter:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Altfish

#3 Post by Altfish » July 30th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Smalls is a term that is used in my family in the Manchester area

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » July 30th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Altfish wrote:Smalls is a term that is used in my family in the Manchester area
IIRC originally came from the phrase "small clothes" as a euphemism. Goes back to earlyish 17thC, blame the Puritans!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » July 30th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Oh dear! The typos are terrible.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » July 31st, 2015, 8:21 am

Getreal! I am very impressed by the concept of this charity.

Some may be aware that the grossest insult you can pay a teacher of domestic science is to refer to her as a knicker lady. This goes back to Victorian times when pre-pubescent girls from poor households may not have had any underwear. As they approached puberty, the sewing teacher would teach them to make their own underwear, a set of very useful skills for a growing young woman in that time. This aspect of the curriculum outlasted its usefulness, and my wife told of having to make this horrible thing which she took home at the end of P7 and put straight in the bin.

Clearly there were people in Victorian times who could see the importance of a simple thing like this and made practical efforts to allow these young women the dignity of having their own underwear.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » July 31st, 2015, 9:45 am

lewist wrote:Getreal! I am very impressed by the concept of this charity.

Some may be aware that the grossest insult you can pay a teacher of domestic science is to refer to her as a knicker lady. This goes back to Victorian times when pre-pubescent girls from poor households may not have had any underwear. As they approached puberty, the sewing teacher would teach them to make their own underwear, a set of very useful skills for a growing young woman in that time. This aspect of the curriculum outlasted its usefulness, and my wife told of having to make this horrible thing which she took home at the end of P7 and put straight in the bin.
I never knew that!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#8 Post by getreal » August 2nd, 2015, 1:18 am

Wow! You learn the most amazing things on this forum!

I have emailed them fro more information. I particularly want to know if they have any religious affiliations as some of the text I have read about them references "sisters" and priests. However, this appears to be only in relation to the African side of the organisation, and I'm aware that the logistics of distribution may mean working in conjunction with church organisations. I just want to be sure after my terrible "Christmas shoe box fiasco"!

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » September 13th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Early day motion 432 POINT OF LIGHT RECOGNITION FOR SMALLS FOR ALL CAMPAIGN
Date tabled: 11.09.2015
Primary sponsor: Bardell, Hannah
Sponsors:
That this House recognises the excellent work that Maria MacNamara, founder of Smalls for All, has carried out in collecting over 100,000 items of underwear to send to women in Ethiopia and across Africa in orphanages, slums, internally displaced persons camps, schools and hospitals; further recognises the immediate impact that a lack of underwear can have on access to education, particularly in managing periods; considers that having underwear makes some women less vulnerable as otherwise it looks like they cannot afford it and there is no husband, brother or father to care for them; recognises that Smalls for All is providing charitable aid to orphanages and medical centres; recognises the work that it is being done in collecting the underwear and distributing it to Africa; welcomes the fact that this charity has grown from strength to strength and continues to be a source of inspiration for volunteers across the country; and congratulates Maria MacNamara on her Point of Light award for her service.
Alan Henness

lewist

#10 Post by lewist » September 14th, 2015, 8:11 am

Well done Hannah!

Ex headteacher of new MP beams. :D
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Nick

Re: Smalls for All

#11 Post by Nick » September 14th, 2015, 10:39 pm

It would appear, though, that the only signatory is the sponsor..... :sad: