INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Humanists and Santa

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Compassionist

Re: Humanists and Santa

#21 Post by Compassionist » December 30th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Nick wrote:I like the sentiment of video very much. Had an encounter with a 6 year old and her family yesterday. Not impressed by the talk of Santa that was pumped out. :cross:
I can certainly relate to you. The other day an eight year old was going on and on to me and my son about how Santa was going to bring him Xbox for Christmas because he was such a good boy all year. My son knows the truth about Santa and we never fed him the lies about Santa. My son refrained from bursting the other boy's bubble as we have told him not to burst peoples' belief bubbles as they usually get upset if that happens.

Fia

#22 Post by Fia » December 30th, 2013, 8:50 pm

I've come late to this thread. As the excellent vid Alan posted I still remember the anger I felt when I realised my parents had be lying to me. At the same time that they'd told me lying as wrong. I then told a chum and got into a huge pile of trouble. Confusion ruled.

So I have never reinforced the Santa thing at home. When my children were wee they had all the Santa crap from school, media etc., but it was perfectly clear that their presents came from me, who had worked darn hard to provide them. When they asked questions I said some folk believe he exists and some don't, and it's up to them to decide for themselves. As I'm sure I've said here before, once they get Santa one can avoid the tooth fairy by cutting out the middle woman and exchange tooth for money and a hug, and then somehow an omnipresent god isn't really much of an issue :)
Compassionist wrote:My son refrained from bursting the other boy's bubble as we have told him not to burst peoples' belief bubbles as they usually get upset if that happens.
Great parenting Compassionist :clap:

Compassionist

#23 Post by Compassionist » December 30th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Fia wrote:I've come late to this thread. As the excellent vid Alan posted I still remember the anger I felt when I realised my parents had be lying to me. At the same time that they'd told me lying as wrong. I then told a chum and got into a huge pile of trouble. Confusion ruled.

So I have never reinforced the Santa thing at home. When my children were wee they had all the Santa crap from school, media etc., but it was perfectly clear that their presents came from me, who had worked darn hard to provide them. When they asked questions I said some folk believe he exists and some don't, and it's up to them to decide for themselves. As I'm sure I've said here before, once they get Santa one can avoid the tooth fairy by cutting out the middle woman and exchange tooth for money and a hug, and then somehow an omnipresent god isn't really much of an issue :)
Compassionist wrote:My son refrained from bursting the other boy's bubble as we have told him not to burst peoples' belief bubbles as they usually get upset if that happens.
Great parenting Compassionist :clap:
Thank you Fia. Religious people get even more upset then believers in Santa if their belief bubble gets burst by humanists!

Cam

#24 Post by Cam » February 18th, 2014, 9:31 am

My step-grandson will be asking questions soon (he will be 4 in June) and I am going to treat him like I do anyone else. If I am asked a direct question I will not lie. That is a breech of trust as far as I'm concerned. If the question is never asked then I won't mention the issue.

I think an approach like: your parents saved up a lot and did not buy things for themselves so that they could afford to buy you your presents.

Is a lot healthier than: a magic man in a red suit gives loads of really expensive toys to all the children in the world.

I hope that particular statement is never questioned either as it might lead to:

No, hang on, erm maybe not all the children. Just the ones with wealthy parents. In fact the wealthier the parents, the more and better the toys! The really poor don't get anything, not even proper food or clean water.

Compassionist

#25 Post by Compassionist » February 18th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Cam wrote:My step-grandson will be asking questions soon (he will be 4 in June) and I am going to treat him like I do anyone else. If I am asked a direct question I will not lie. That is a breech of trust as far as I'm concerned. If the question is never asked then I won't mention the issue.

I think an approach like: your parents saved up a lot and did not buy things for themselves so that they could afford to buy you your presents.

Is a lot healthier than: a magic man in a red suit gives loads of really expensive toys to all the children in the world.

I hope that particular statement is never questioned either as it might lead to:

No, hang on, erm maybe not all the children. Just the ones with wealthy parents. In fact the wealthier the parents, the more and better the toys! The really poor don't get anything, not even proper food or clean water.
I agree with your comments and approach. Thank you for posting.