INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

What about Identity Cards?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Lifelinking

#21 Post by Lifelinking » July 11th, 2007, 6:27 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

We were waiting for you Godot..... :grin:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

God
Banned

#22 Post by God » July 11th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Lifelinking wrote:We were waiting for you Godot..... :grin:
The rule of that name was that as soon as anyone mentions "waiting" then the name goes...

Gone!

Lifelinking

#23 Post by Lifelinking » July 11th, 2007, 9:30 pm

A sort of Godago..go
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

God
Banned

#24 Post by God » July 11th, 2007, 10:28 pm

Lifelinking wrote:A sort of Godago..go
Oh bugga!

That's the next one!

lewist

#25 Post by lewist » July 11th, 2007, 11:09 pm

I think this thread is about identity cards. Apart from all the other issues, how come the government feels it has the right to legislate for this and then demand a substantial sum of money from everyone for them?

Alan C.

#26 Post by Alan C. » July 11th, 2007, 11:32 pm

Lewist.
how come the government feels it has the right to legislate for this and then demand a substantial sum of money from everyone for them?
To take your first point Lewis, I think the present government think they have a (god given)? right to do whatever they please, "you elected us now put up and shut up" kind of attitude.

On your second point, I think they initially set the figure at around £35 per person, as an afterthought they remembered all the people on low/no income, they (the government) don't want to have to make up the shortfall, so had to up the anti for the people who could pay and this is why the potential cost to me and you has spiraled.

In my opinion, it's just another form of stealth tax of which I don't think any government in my lifetime has been better at sneaking in, than this present government.
Edited to add.
The idea that ID cards are an anti terrorist solution, is in my oppinion Bollocks, I believe they have them in the US, Goldie? nuff said.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

God
Banned

#27 Post by God » July 12th, 2007, 12:51 am

Campaign website here

Goodnight all!

Nick

#28 Post by Nick » July 12th, 2007, 11:39 am

As previously stated in the forum of Another Place, I am strongly against ID cards, on the grounds of cost, inefficiency and ,most of all, a curtailment of civil liberties.

At a very simple level, what name should I put on my card? Having spent over 20 years avoiding the name I was given, I am not about to be forced to change back.

I once sent Tony Blair an email, asking for a single hair from his head, so that I could add him to a DNA register. I assured him there was nothing to worry about, as I was only interested in those who would do others harm. Unsurprisingly, I never got a reply......

gcb01

#29 Post by gcb01 » July 12th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Nick

I'm surprised you didn't get a knock on the door from his thought police.
Regards

Campbell