INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

What about Identity Cards?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
God
Banned

What about Identity Cards?

#1 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 2:18 pm

I'm against 'em. Info here (am I allowed to do this? If not somebody please tell me):

From NO2ID Supporters' Newsletter No. 75 - 5th July 2007
Campaign website here

TIME TO DEMAND REAL CHANGE
The new Prime Minister has promised change. He wants to re-establish trust. He needs to hear that the best way for him to demonstrate a break with the past is to drop the current ID scheme.

Both the Commons and the Lords are conducting inquiries into 'surveillance society'. Despite all the posturing and tough talk, very little has yet been done. NOW is the time to act.

Please take the time to write to your MP. Today. If not today, this week.

If your MP is Labour and/or in favour of ID cards (you can check your MP's voting record at http://www.theyworkforyou.com - ID cards are one of the key issues listed) you must challenge their misconceptions. Show them that support for the scheme is falling, not growing. It may not take just one letter. Be patient and polite, but insist that the scheme be dropped.

If your MP already opposes ID cards, ask that they demand a fundamental reconsideration of the ID scheme and data sharing at every opportunity. The database state is being constructed a piece at a time and ID cards are not the only problem.

Campaign website here

Lifelinking

#2 Post by Lifelinking » July 10th, 2007, 5:49 pm

I don't like the idea of ID cards.

My reaction is terribly emotional I know, but I cannot shake it out of my mind that those in my family who have in the past been forced to carry ID cards, were living under the yoke of the most terrible dictatorships.

From what we have seen in the public domain, not one of the people involved in the recent incidents in London or Glasgow would have had the slightest problem obtaining an ID card.

I think we should say no to them.

God
Banned

#3 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 6:05 pm

Lifelinking wrote: I think we should say no to them.
Absolutely! But "saying no" does mean more than simply expressing an opinion that they are a bad idea. The enabling legislation has already been passed and it really is a matter of actively campaigning.

Brown has stated his intention to go ahead with them.

Campaign website here

Moonbeam

#4 Post by Moonbeam » July 10th, 2007, 6:26 pm

I would not object to ID cards if they were simply a convenient alternative form of ID for people who don't have a passport or drivers licence. I would certainly object to their being compulsory, both on the grounds of intrusiveness and sheer waste of money.

Lifelinking

#5 Post by Lifelinking » July 10th, 2007, 6:29 pm

The enabling legislation has already been passed and it really is a matter of actively campaigning.
Thank you god for keeping me right.......

Alan C.

#6 Post by Alan C. » July 10th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Lifelinking.
Thank you god for keeping me right.......
I'll bet you never thought you'd ever type that. :hilarity:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

ranter

#7 Post by ranter » July 10th, 2007, 8:57 pm

God, you do exist , after all.
I have been banging my drum about ID cards for years. Saying 'no' isn't enough. Please..... all do what God advises. He's the big faceless person in the sky, so he does know what's best. We all need to barrage our MPs and MSPs and fight this 'til the end. Id cards will not make us more safe! I feel a rant............

Who knows about the the new 'mosquito device'?
This is a new device aimed particularly at young people who loiter. Hmmmmm- I loitered when I was young, but i'm digressing.
This is a device which is designed to deter youngsters(but it could me you or me) who walk around in their daily/nightly business, at certain times of the day/night. The frequency of the device is above the hearing range of people aged 25 or over, although it is specifically targeted at youngsters. Apart from the potential damage to our lugs, we are assuming everyone is guilty of something. There is already one in operation at Marks & Spencer, Blackheath, S. London What is happening in our 'democracy'?
God, give us all a break and sort this out. Please!
:wink:
PS. Bad enough having to put up wi' mosquitos in sunny climes once a year!

I

God
Banned

#8 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 9:06 pm

ranter wrote: God, you do exist , after all.
He's the big faceless person in the sky...
Do you mind?! Didnt you see my pic wot Maria posted for me?
ranter wrote: God, give us all a break and sort this out. Please!
After you just got through calling Me "faceless"?!

Anyway, I don't sort stuff out. I just create. Sorting stuff out is human business!

ranter

#9 Post by ranter » July 10th, 2007, 9:22 pm

God, you will remain faceless until you post a photo. Why should you get off the hook.
As you remain faceless I wll assume you can sort all and sundry too.

God
Banned

#10 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 9:46 pm

ranter wrote:God, you will remain faceless until you post a photo. Why should you get off the hook.
My graphical image reproduction faithfully computerised was posted on my behalf by Maria - wasn't it Maria? In the Introductions thread.

'ang on a mo'

Maria wrote:I am delighted to present:

GOD

As accurate a graven image of Me as ever has been produced upon this planetary installation. More youthful than most, too.

ranter wrote:As you remain faceless I wll assume you can sort all and sundry too.
Doh! Story of my life. People make ASSUMPTIONS all the time.

It's enough to drive One to a Big Bold FONT!

ranter

#11 Post by ranter » July 10th, 2007, 10:03 pm

God,
I'm getting really tired now. Been juggling in between visits. Getting better all the time. Bean bags from ELC. You can use 3 pairs of socks all rolled up, apparently.
That scribble(sorry Maria) resembles Peter Sutcliffe.
Get a photo, or I'll ask admin to do what HSS do wi' folk like you!
Are you a man or a mouse. Squeak squaek.
I'll beseech you and make you angry again. :hilarity:

God
Banned

#12 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 10:11 pm

ranter wrote:Are you a man or a mouse.
I am the alfred and the ominous.
I am the blob of bubblegum and the alpha romeo of destruction.
I am the big and the little
The cuckoo spit and grittle
I am the man in the moon.
I am mouse I am house I am kit I am cat
I am old I am young I am this I am that
I am thin I am huge I am large I am fat
I am bald as a coot and all hairy at that
I end at the start and start in the middle
And now I must go cos I must solve another riddle

Byeeeeeeeeeeee.....

scogirl

#13 Post by scogirl » July 10th, 2007, 10:24 pm

Moonbeam wrote:I would not object to ID cards if they were simply a convenient alternative form of ID for people who don't have a passport or drivers licence. I would certainly object to their being compulsory, both on the grounds of intrusiveness and sheer waste of money.
I completely agree.

If they were going to give me one tomorrow, for free, I wouldn't have an option as I already have a passport, and in today's 'big brother' society, I'm sure the powers that be know more about me than I could ever imagine, between CCTV all over my home town, car reg-plate recognition, even my boots advantage card lets someone see what brand of shampoo I like and what kind of toothpaste I prefer...

But I WILL NOT pay for an ID card, they could threaten me with prison and I still wouldn't pay it. I don't know how much clout they would actually have anyway & I am sure I would be in good company.

ranter

ID

#14 Post by ranter » July 10th, 2007, 10:46 pm

Hear Hear. C'mon the ranters!

God
Banned

#15 Post by God » July 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm

To Get A Bit Heavy for a Mo'

But the ID dangers lurk everywhere. Ordinary people get it into their heads that they have a right to know stuff. Take Ranter. She is getting really heavy about wanting me to post a photo of me.

As far as I am aware, it is not a condition of posting to this forum that you have to provide a photo.

In today's climate of religious fundamentalism, fatwahs and so on, if Ranter were messing about with the name of God, I wonder would she be quite so keen to have her photograph plastered over the internet?

So I do hope she will stop hassling me about it please. It's getting to be a pain.

:cross:

Lifelinking

#16 Post by Lifelinking » July 10th, 2007, 10:59 pm

you should actively campaign against it god....
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#17 Post by Alan C. » July 10th, 2007, 11:33 pm

Lifelinking wrote:you should actively campaign against it god....
I think she/he/it, is probably invisible.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

ranter

who's being tetchy then?

#18 Post by ranter » July 11th, 2007, 9:04 am

I'm sooooooo sorry that you consider yourself hassled by my good self You ain't seen nothing yet, but so as not to cause upset I will not mention your daft photo again. In fact I won't even wonder what or who you resemble. A faceless person suits me fine.
I was not that happy about having my coupon plastered here either, but I thought as I was amongst like minded cyber friends, it was only fair when so many others were doing it.
I'd change my name if I were you.
Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us.
Emjoy your day.
/ :wink:

God
Banned

Re: who's being tetchy then?

#19 Post by God » July 11th, 2007, 9:53 am

ranter wrote: I was not that happy about having my coupon plastered here either, but I thought as I was amongst like minded cyber friends, it was only fair when so many others were doing it.
You have put your finger on an essential difference between you and me. If something is likely to make me unhappy, then unless there was some other very good reason I would be pretty unlikely to do it.

What has what others choose to do or not do got to do with what I might choose to do or not do? I simply don't understand.

If I ever thought I was doing something simply because that's what other people were doing, I would immediately consider doing something else. Not that I would necessarily do something else, because obviously that would be just as pointless.

I find the best thing in life is to do what I want to do, not what anyone else might think I should do. Of course, quite often what I want to do coincides with what someone else would like me to do. And there are indeed some people whose advice I actively seek and am likely to follow. But the ultimate decision remains mine.

And obviously, with regard to the above, there always needs to be the proviso that in so following the dictates of my own desires, I should of course take reasonable care not to cause harm to others. Which does not mean I am about to kow-tow to muslim fundamentalists, BTW.
ranter also wrote: I won't even wonder what or who you resemble.
I closely resemble the graphical image I already provided. Only like I already said, there are more lines on me.
plus ranter wrote:Just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get us.
Sorry. Wasn't that my point? About playing with the name of God and the risk of fatwahs and stuff!
In addition ranter wrote:I'd change my name if I were you.
I already did. Last night. And you didn't even notice! :-(

Lifelinking

#20 Post by Lifelinking » July 11th, 2007, 6:27 pm

We were waiting for you Godot..... :grin:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney