INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Are there any moral facts?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.

Are there any moral facts?

Poll ended at January 1st, 2011, 5:50 pm

Yes.
25%
No.
63%
I'm not sure.
No votes
Other (I'll explain in my post...).
13%

Total votes: 16

Radius

Re: Are there any moral facts?

#121 Post by Radius » January 31st, 2011, 5:27 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

thundril wrote:
Radius wrote: Yes, contingent on philosophical naturalism, which is a set of opinions I have obviously chosen to accept.
In what sense have you 'obviously chosen to accept' a set of opinions? Is this evidence of 'free will'?
choice doesn't entail free will; just agency

thundril

#122 Post by thundril » January 31st, 2011, 5:33 pm

Fair point; but in that context, ( if the choice does not imply free will) I can't understand why it is 'obvious' that you have chosen a particular set of opinions. Would it not seem more likely that you have merely ended up holding these opinions?

Radius

#123 Post by Radius » January 31st, 2011, 5:35 pm

thundril wrote:Fair point; but in that context, ( if the choice does not imply free will) I can't understand why it is 'obvious' that you have chosen a particular set of opinions. Would it not seem more likely that you have merely ended up holding these opinions?
sure, I guess

animist

#124 Post by animist » January 31st, 2011, 5:50 pm

Radius wrote:
thundril wrote:Fair point; but in that context, ( if the choice does not imply free will) I can't understand why it is 'obvious' that you have chosen a particular set of opinions. Would it not seem more likely that you have merely ended up holding these opinions?
sure, I guess
well, that's quite strange, ie that you somehow landed yourself with certain opinions! I think you are simply "choosing" to deny free will in any way you can, and you have not anyway defined what you mean by "agency". The problem is that many choices are actually not free in the substantive meaning of "free", eg I do not "freely" give my money to a mugger, even though I choose to do so, because my choices/options are very constrained; and so for you to insist that NO decision can ever be free seems to miss the important differences between degrees of freedom

thundril

#125 Post by thundril » January 31st, 2011, 6:17 pm

animist wrote:]
well, that's quite strange, ie that you somehow landed yourself with certain opinions!
But isn't it quite normal for people to hold opinions without choosing? eg. adopting uncritically the prejudices/beliefs/moral values of one's culture?

Marian

#126 Post by Marian » February 1st, 2011, 12:39 pm

thundril wrote: But isn't it quite normal for people to hold opinions without choosing? eg. adopting uncritically the prejudices/beliefs/moral values of one's culture?
I don't know if it's 'normal' but it's certainly typical. :) Yes, adopting the prejudices, beliefs, etc without question is exactly what The Man wants. Defining The Man as those in power be it religious or gov't etc. It isn't without irony that believers are called sheep. Baaa.
Transformative fire...

thundril

#127 Post by thundril » February 1st, 2011, 12:41 pm

Marian wrote:
thundril wrote: But isn't it quite normal for people to hold opinions without choosing? eg. adopting uncritically the prejudices/beliefs/moral values of one's culture?
I don't know if it's 'normal' but it's certainly typical. :) Yes, adopting the prejudices, beliefs, etc without question is exactly what The Man wants. Defining The Man as those in power be it religious or gov't etc. It isn't without irony that believers are called sheep. Baaa.
Yes you're right, Marian. I often use 'normal' when I mean typical.
And you're ight about the bloody sheep too!
Baaaa!

animist

#128 Post by animist » February 1st, 2011, 1:56 pm

thundril wrote:
animist wrote:]
well, that's quite strange, ie that you somehow landed yourself with certain opinions!
But isn't it quite normal for people to hold opinions without choosing? eg. adopting uncritically the prejudices/beliefs/moral values of one's culture?
yes that is true, amending "normal" to mean "typical" or "commonplace" as you and Marian have sorted out. You cannot escape your own background of genes/environment/experience/conditioning and so on, and to that extent you are never completely free; I am not actually sure what being completely free could actually mean, because it would imply having no personality at all. But not being totally free does not prevent you from reflecting on your own values, how you apply them to cases, why you think the way you do, and so on. This after all what we are trying to do a lot of the time in this forum and by exposing ourselves to new opinions and information. I somehow doubt, going back to Radius and my reaction to him, that he as an individual is passively accepting conventional values: clearly he thinks for himself and believes what he likes, so even if many people do uncritically believe what they are told, he is not one of them!

thundril

#129 Post by thundril » February 1st, 2011, 2:01 pm

animist wrote: I somehow doubt, going back to Radius and my reaction to him, that he as an individual is passively accepting conventional values: clearly he thinks for himself and believes what he likes, so even if many people do uncritically believe what they are told, he is not one of them!
Think I agree with you there, Animist.
Gosh, I'm being agreeable today. :wink:

Marian

#130 Post by Marian » February 1st, 2011, 4:19 pm

animist wrote:...he as an individual is passively accepting conventional values: clearly he thinks for himself and believes what he likes, so even if many people do uncritically believe what they are told, he is not one of them!
I haven't read enough of Radius's posts. In fact, I think I've read two. Just too overwhelming to try and catch up on the forum is all. What struck me about your statement was that you said he clearly thinks for himself. I would say that even followers do think for themselves but it depends on the subject at hand. I see that people can think critically about certain aspects of their lives but shut down when it comes to others. Now, not knowing enough about Radius means that I am not talking about him specifically here. Rather I'm generalizing.
thundril wrote: Think I agree with you there, Animist.
Gosh, I'm being agreeable today. :wink:
:laughter: Stop that thundril. I'm beginning to wonder if you added something to your cup o tea. :)
Transformative fire...

animist

#131 Post by animist » February 1st, 2011, 9:57 pm

here are recent articles on moral relativism which you may find interesting:

http://www.philosophynow.org/issue82/Whither_Morality
http://www.philosophynow.org/issue82/Mo ... d_Response
http://www.philosophynow.org/issue82/Co ... da_Shoulda

I think a lot of the arguments are crappy, but then I would, as I think there are at least some moral facts. See what you think, and I will write some comments about the article in a day or two.

PS - there are three other articles in the same series which you can read on the Net if you are interested - authors are Richard Joyce, Richard Garner and David Wong

tynder

#132 Post by tynder » May 20th, 2011, 8:42 am

w/o life itself there would be no liberties whatsoever.

Marian

#133 Post by Marian » May 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Hey animist, I'm reviving this thread as you posted three articles that I would like to have a look at. :) Unfortunately, you can't access these unless you are a paid subscriber, which I am not. Can you link them elsewhere or maybe write your commentary for them? I'm interested to see.
Transformative fire...

animist

#134 Post by animist » May 21st, 2011, 2:25 pm

Marian wrote:Hey animist, I'm reviving this thread as you posted three articles that I would like to have a look at. :) Unfortunately, you can't access these unless you are a paid subscriber, which I am not. Can you link them elsewhere or maybe write your commentary for them? I'm interested to see.
of the three I posted, the one by Prinz seems to be still available if you click on it, but not the two by Marks - these were quite short and I am not sure I've got them. But the longer three I mentioned (Wong, Garner and Joyce) I have on a Word file - actually I am not sure how to post Word files into TH, anyone know? They're a bit long to print out entire. Otherwise, I can email them to you if you like?

Marian

#135 Post by Marian » May 24th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Yes, please email me the documents, animist.
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#136 Post by Alan H » May 24th, 2011, 8:49 pm

animist wrote:I am not sure how to post Word files into TH, anyone know?
Just below the Post a reply section (where I'm writing this), there is an Upload attachment section. Click on Choose File, select the file you want to attach, then click on Add the file. Once it's completed that, Sumbit your post in the usual way and the attachment will be shown at the bottom of the post. If you want to add another, repeat the process. If you want to place the attachment in teh middle of the text, select the attachment in the Attachments: immediately below this and click on Place inline. Once there, you can move the [attachment ] code wherever you want in your post.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

animist

#137 Post by animist » May 25th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Alan - thanks, but in fact the files are txt (text only) and I am getting the message that extension txt is not allowed, so can I still attach them?

Alan H

#138 Post by Alan H » May 26th, 2011, 1:26 am

animist wrote:Alan - thanks, but in fact the files are txt (text only) and I am getting the message that extension txt is not allowed, so can I still attach them?
Ah! That should work now - please try again.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

animist

#139 Post by animist » May 26th, 2011, 10:15 am

Alan - looks better now, thanks

Marian - there are now two files attached, each with two of the papers I mentioned
Attachments
garner wong.txt
(38.13 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
joyce prinz.txt
(38.84 KiB) Downloaded 120 times