INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Is Tesco justified?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
Diane

Is Tesco justified?

#1 Post by Diane » September 23rd, 2009, 4:13 pm

This is about a Jedi knight who was told his hood breach store rules and he had to leave the premises.

Jedi emotionally humiliated

Do they not serve niqab wearers in Tesco?

jaywhat

Re: Is Tesco justified?

#2 Post by jaywhat » September 23rd, 2009, 4:32 pm

No - and I would not shop in Tesco anyway and I am sad that anyone does.

Marian

#3 Post by Marian » September 23rd, 2009, 4:34 pm

Diane wrote:This is about a Jedi knight who was told his hood breach store rules and he had to leave the premises.

Jedi emotionally humiliated

Do they not serve niqab wearers in Tesco?
Jedi church is no more silly than any of the other religions in terms of observances so why should they experience discrimination?
In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the Jedi's haven't had anything equalling the Inquistion :D
jaywhat wrote:No - and I would not shop in Tesco anyway and I am sad that anyone does.
Why? Isn't it just a grocery store?
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#4 Post by jaywhat » September 23rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

Several reasons - like puttting small shop keepers out of business - but mainly fiddling on planning applications such as building bigger stores than agreed on and also buying up land to stop rivals opening with nearby competition. (Just like any other business, I hear you cry)

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » September 23rd, 2009, 4:54 pm

I'm with jaywhat on this.
Tesco are an abomination.
No it's not "just a grocery store" See here. Tesco would like to put everybody else out of business not just small shops.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Gottard

#6 Post by Gottard » September 23rd, 2009, 5:27 pm

...and they squeeze suppliers almost out of business!
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Hundovir

#7 Post by Hundovir » September 23rd, 2009, 5:39 pm

If they are, it's by faith alone according to Luther, based on:

"Therefore, being justified by faith, we have peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ."—Romans 5:1.

Oh, you didn't mean this...

As a frequent crash helmet wearer, I get peed off that it's also seen as more objectionable that a burka/niqab.

Gurdur

#8 Post by Gurdur » September 23rd, 2009, 5:59 pm

Alan C. wrote:I'm with jaywhat on this.
Tesco are an abomination.
No it's not "just a grocery store" See here. Tesco would like to put everybody else out of business not just small shops.
I'm with Alan C and jaywhat on this.

Diane

#9 Post by Diane » September 23rd, 2009, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the information about Tesco. I didn't know about that stuff.

In the OP I said niqab when I meant hijab covering the head but not the face.

Now, let's say it was another supermarket and it allowed the hijab. Do you think it should also allow the hood - or should it be entitled to ban both on the grounds that they alarm customers and make identification through the cameras more difficult?

Alan C.

#10 Post by Alan C. » September 23rd, 2009, 11:00 pm

When the current Tesco here in Shetland was Somerfield, Safeway, and Morrisons, they had at least three Muslim women working on the checkouts, all wearing the hijab (head covering) and they (the Muslim checkout operators) would all happily sell you pork or alcohol, even on Friday! Since Tesco took over,these women seem to have disappeared :puzzled:
Whether they have been given less high profile jobs or let go, I don't know.
But knowing Tesco's record I would think they were probably sacked.

Diane,
I don't think anybody at any time should be allowed to conceal their identity, wheather it be a 15 year old "hoody" or someone claiming "but it's my religion!"

Marian

#11 Post by Marian » September 23rd, 2009, 11:37 pm

jaywhat wrote:Several reasons - like puttting small shop keepers out of business - but mainly fiddling on planning applications such as building bigger stores than agreed on and also buying up land to stop rivals opening with nearby competition. (Just like any other business, I hear you cry)
Wow! Thanks for the education on Tesco. I can see why you guys dislike it. It reminds me of Costco here. http://www.costco.ca/. Although with Costco, you have to purchase a membership and it's really only worth it if you buy in bulk.
Diane wrote: Now, let's say it was another supermarket and it allowed the hijab. Do you think it should also allow the hood - or should it be entitled to ban both on the grounds that they alarm customers and make identification through the cameras more difficult?
If the garment obviously conceals the identity ie. the face, then it should not be allowed but a hood(just over the head) or hijab doesn't obscure either. But that leaves the issue of burqa alive and well.
Transformative fire...

jaywhat

#12 Post by jaywhat » September 24th, 2009, 6:08 am

mmitchc633 wrote: If the garment obviously conceals the identity ie. the face, then it should not be allowed but a hood(just over the head) or hijab doesn't obscure either. But that leaves the issue of burqa alive and well.
I feel that if the face is clear that is OK whatever else one is wearing.

As for Tesco, I am happy people here seem to be anti. We are so anti that when drivng past a Tesco we never slow to let a customer's car in or out - or a Tesco lorry.
A friend of mine is a Tesco user and a Roman Catholic. I cannot bring myself to talk about either.

Hundovir

#13 Post by Hundovir » September 24th, 2009, 7:28 am

jaywhat wrote:A friend of mine is a Tesco user and a Roman Catholic. I cannot bring myself to talk about either.
A friend of yours? Burn him! :D

Marian

#14 Post by Marian » September 24th, 2009, 11:15 am

:pointlaugh: At the stake or molten lead poured down the throat? Kidding.
Transformative fire...

Lifelinking

#15 Post by Lifelinking » September 24th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Some more potential customers that have been banned....
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Marian

#16 Post by Marian » September 24th, 2009, 1:42 pm

:hilarity: I think my favourite is the cow in the nun's habit.
Transformative fire...

Lifelinking

#17 Post by Lifelinking » September 24th, 2009, 1:53 pm

There's a phrase you don't hear every day..
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan H

#18 Post by Alan H » September 24th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Why are Tescos any different/worse than, say, Morrisons or Sainsbury's?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#19 Post by Alan C. » September 24th, 2009, 5:20 pm

With respect Alan, that's like asking why is Islam any worse than Buddhism or Anglicanism. (In my view)

Lifelinking

#20 Post by Lifelinking » September 24th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Alan H wrote:Why are Tescos any different/worse than, say, Morrisons or Sainsbury's?

I must admit I was sort of wondering the same thing myself.
William McIlvanney