INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What do you make of this?

Enter here to explore ethical issues and discuss the meaning and source of morality.
snaggletooth

What do you make of this?

#1 Post by snaggletooth » October 16th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Just found this : http://www.antihumanism.com/
Don't know if it's been mentioned before, (sorry if it's old news), but what do you think of it?

Lord Muck oGentry

Re: What do you make of this?

#2 Post by Lord Muck oGentry » October 16th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Stop screwing around and start thinking seriously about killing all those but our most valuable members of society. We don't need movie actresses, we don't need democratic politicians, we don't need people with IQs of under 120. We need smart, strong, capable people who can think outside the mental confinement called humanism.
Well, he may yet be cured by the love of a good woman...
What we can't say, we can't say and we can't whistle it either. — Frank Ramsey

lewist

#3 Post by lewist » October 16th, 2008, 6:53 pm

Humanism is death disguised as life. When you are a humanist, you think only of humans. You see the world as existing only for human consumption. It is more important to save every life than to produce better beings, in your view.
What? The person who wrote all this seems to know nothing whatever of what Humanism is.
What is Humanism?
Humanism is the mental habit of looking at the world as if it existed only for human beings. If there's a forest, you consume it. If there is land, you use it. If there was other stuff on that land, it's Too Bad, because you've just gotta have that 4x4 truck, color television, and sprawling suburban home, if you're a wealthy first worlder. Or maybe you simply want another patch of land for subsistence farming and slash-n-burn agriculture, if you're a third worlder. Either way, you're not thinking of anything except yourself and other humans. It's like the whole rest of the world doesn't exist.
I don't know what is being described here but it surely is not Humanism. It strikes me as ignorant right wing drivel.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

lewist

#4 Post by lewist » October 16th, 2008, 6:54 pm

...unless it's a wind up?

xman

#5 Post by xman » October 16th, 2008, 7:51 pm

He's deluded about humanism and thinks he has a new idea to fix it. If he actually read the New Humanist Manifesto he'd realise that all his ideas are already incorporated.

X
Always remember, it's your right to have a SUPER day.
If you're wrong, call me ... I'll have one for you!

Critical Thinking - http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/ctlessons.html

Paolo

#6 Post by Paolo » October 17th, 2008, 8:13 am

It sounds like the work of 22 year old literature student who is basing their entire rationale on one conversation had whilst drunk/stoned at a noisy party. Lacks research, lacks credibility, lacks any impact. Philosophical masturbation for the college generation.

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » October 17th, 2008, 10:02 am

Paolo wrote:It sounds like the work of 22 year old literature student who is basing their entire rationale on one conversation had whilst drunk/stoned at a noisy party. Lacks research, lacks credibility, lacks any impact. Philosophical masturbation for the college generation.
:hilarity: Brilliant summary!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Gottard

#8 Post by Gottard » October 17th, 2008, 11:49 am

Entangled mind! He surely needs a Psychiatrist.
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

snaggletooth

#9 Post by snaggletooth » October 20th, 2008, 9:53 am

Lord Muck oGentry wrote:
Stop screwing around and start thinking seriously about killing all those but our most valuable members of society. We don't need movie actresses, we don't need democratic politicians, we don't need people with IQs of under 120. We need smart, strong, capable people who can think outside the mental confinement called humanism.
Well, he may yet be cured by the love of a good woman...
Or maybe he should take his own advice, his IQ seems to be under 120.... :)

Parapraxis

#10 Post by Parapraxis » November 2nd, 2008, 10:37 am

Talk about straw man arguments and misrepresentation!
The poster formerly known as "Electric Angel"

SkiCarver

#11 Post by SkiCarver » November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 pm

next he'll be posting pictures of himself with numerous guns, then he will brass up some school or university killing a few students and teachers before topping himself.

is it a UK site? In all seriousness, if it's not a wind-up, its the sort of thing that should be reported to the Met or FBI.
Atheist by choice, dyslexic by the grace of dog.

snaggletooth

#12 Post by snaggletooth » November 2nd, 2008, 12:23 pm

SkiCarver wrote:is it a UK site? In all seriousness, if it's not a wind-up, its the sort of thing that should be reported to the Met or FBI.
I'm not sure where it's based, I found it from a link on Facebook searching for Humanist groups. There's a few Anti-Humanist ones on there!

SkiCarver

#13 Post by SkiCarver » November 2nd, 2008, 2:57 pm

from the spelling, i have guessed that the site is in the US. I have reported it to the FBI.
Atheist by choice, dyslexic by the grace of dog.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#14 Post by Maria Mac » November 3rd, 2008, 2:59 pm

snaggletooth wrote: I'm not sure where it's based, I found it from a link on Facebook searching for Humanist groups. There's a few Anti-Humanist ones on there!
Well, now there's another humanist group on there. Join, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33074158004

I came across that anti-humanism guy some time ago and dismissed him as bonkers.

lewist

#15 Post by lewist » November 3rd, 2008, 11:38 pm

Maria wrote:...and dismissed him as bonkers.
Maria, you have a wonderful penchant for going straight to the heart of the matter.

PriestofPoppycock

#16 Post by PriestofPoppycock » November 4th, 2008, 1:48 am

Since when did Humanism become a philosophy of raping the earth and indulging ourselves at the expense of the environment? Many articles I read in the Humanist are very concerned about the environment.

And his idea that we should just slaughter everyone to save the planet? How the hell can that even be accomplished? No one would allow that, and even if we could slaughter 90% of the human race, as he suggests, our world would be drastically altered, economies would crash, etc. The impact that would have on the survivors mentally, emotionally, and otherwise would be devastating.

He offers no realistic solutions to our problems.

James

snaggletooth

#17 Post by snaggletooth » November 7th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Maria wrote: Well, now there's another humanist group on there. Join, if you haven't already done so.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=33074158004

I came across that anti-humanism guy some time ago and dismissed him as bonkers.
Thanks for that, it'll be done directly! :)

thundril

#18 Post by thundril » November 11th, 2008, 2:34 pm

SkiCarver wrote:from the spelling, i have guessed that the site is in the US. I have reported it to the FBI.

Ok he's bonkers, but do you really trust the FBI to handle freedom of speech issues? It's harmless drivel. Give it no more airtime.