INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Fundies say the darndest things

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Lorikeet

Re: Fundies say the darndest things

#41 Post by Lorikeet » September 6th, 2009, 1:56 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Must say, I reckon I just had too much of a good thing by reading all 8 pages - taken in smaller quantities this is just hilarious :laughter:
All humans are brothers. We came from the same supernova.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Fundies say - and do - the darndest things

#42 Post by Maria Mac » March 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Religious fruitcakes

#43 Post by Maria Mac » March 4th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Just kidding.

Do we have a thread where people can make drive-by posts on religious fruitcakes? If not, this can be it.

I just wanted to share this paragraph with you.
Some churches urge people to pour a second cup of coffee for God at the breakfast table; some members would invite God for dinner, and lay a place for him. One woman would have "Date nights" with God, where she would go into the park and sit on a bench with him, eating a sandwich.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ristianity

:exit:

Gottard

#44 Post by Gottard » March 4th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Maria, I'm aghast to have heard a phrase in a talk show by a catholic priest (arguing about the presence or not of crucifix in schools: " a lay Country in essence, is an empty place without a culture and no soul" :headbang:
The only thing I fear of death is regret if I couldn’t complete my learning experience

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#45 Post by Maria Mac » March 4th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Thanks, Lifey, I think you're absolutely right. At first I was going to say 'loonies' but then I thought that was a bit strong - I tend to use that for those who torture and kill in the name of religion. 'Fruitcake' sprang to mind because it seemed comical and, therefore, somehow lighter and more appropriate to the silliness described in the article.

However, rather than risk causing hurt or offence, I've decided to change the name of the thread. That doesn't mean the word 'fruitcake' is proscribed, though. :)

Lifelinking

#46 Post by Lifelinking » March 4th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Thanks Maria. I had actually deleted my post and was in the process of rewriting it, as I was not sure if it had came across properly. I can 'repost' some or all of it if you want. Like the new thread title btw. :wink:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Lifelinking

Re: Fundies say - and do - the darndest things

#47 Post by Lifelinking » March 4th, 2010, 10:35 pm

well here is an example I read about. In Utah they have passed a Criminal Miscarriage Bill
This law:

•defines legal abortion as a procedure "carried out by a physician or through a substance used under the direction of a physician." Anything else that terminates a pregnancy is now defined as illegal abortion - including miscarriages.•states that "The killing or attempted killing of a live unborn child in a manner that is not abortion shall be punished as...criminal homicide." (emphasis mine)•removes existing immunity from criminal prosecution for women "who seek to have or obtain an abortion" or "upon whom a partial birth abortion is performed."•applies the legal standard of an "intentional, knowing or reckless act of the woman" as punishable as criminal homicide.
Translation: If a woman has a miscarriage but didn't know that she was pregnant, she cannot be charged with criminal homicide. So while this law does not criminalize all miscarriages, anything that could be defined as "knowing" or "reckless" would leave a woman at risk for criminal prosecution.

Think it couldn't possibly be that bad? The ACLU of Utah is pretty sure that it could. In their letter appealing to Utah Governor Gary Herbert to veto the bill (Spoiler: He won't!), the ACLU said:

Practically speaking however, this bill changes the presumption that abortions obtained in this state are legal. If this bill is signed into law, women in this state will essentially be in the uncomfortable and unfortunate position of having to prove that abortions they obtain (or miscarriages that they suffer) are not unlawful.
:deadhorse:
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#48 Post by Alan C. » March 4th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Didn't you already start this topic Maria?
Fundies say the darndest things
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#49 Post by Maria Mac » March 4th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Thank you, Alan.

Sometimes I frighten myself.

Merging the topics.

Marian

#50 Post by Marian » March 5th, 2010, 1:35 am

Lifelinking wrote:well here is an example I read about. In Utah they have passed a Criminal Miscarriage Bill
Oh, I am so not surprised! Utah is the land of the Mormons after all; home of the largest groups of fundie LDS complete with polygamy. http://nowscape.com/mormon/polyg.htm
Transformative fire...

Birdcrazy

Re: Fundies say the darndest things

#51 Post by Birdcrazy » March 14th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Here's one I heard my own grandmother say:

We were at a restaurant, and my grandma refused to tip. She said she heard on the radio (I guess she added the extra pause, hopefully) "Christians don't tip, like they should" :hilarity:
I broke free from fundamentalist Christianity