INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Darwin Awards

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Dave B

Re: Darwin Awards

#21 Post by Dave B » April 2nd, 2012, 11:13 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I think there are many people who simply do not know the dangers, have never heard of such accidents or read the warning notices in petrol stations etc. I would bet that every year some idiot pours petrol on a bonfire and by the time they get a match going find out, the hard way, that they are standing in a "pool" of fumes.

I remember seeing people who should know better at work decanting flammable solvents near people using gas powered soldering irons. "Need" and "habit" can be far stronger than "thought".

At the same time Maude was being less than thoughtful and responsible when he made his remarks. He should know that people take such things literally. Any MP or politician should know that every word they utter will be analysed and used against them given the slightest excuse. But he was not responsible for that person's stupidity.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#22 Post by Alan C. » May 31st, 2012, 6:49 pm

‘Praise the Lord and pass the rattlesnakes’ – a tragic case of hiss and hearse!
The son of a serpent handler who himself died in 1983 after being bitten, Wolford was trying to keep the practice alive,
The article linked is well worth a read.
UPDATE: Yesterday’s earthquake in Italy claimed the life of parish priest in the town of Rovereto di Novi. He was said to have been killed by a falling beam when he went back into his church to save a Madonna statue.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Compassionist

#23 Post by Compassionist » May 31st, 2012, 7:07 pm

:)

Alan C.

#24 Post by Alan C. » June 8th, 2012, 8:22 pm

If this is true it surely merits some kind of award, but even if it's not, it's still quite funny.
Maybe the best lawyer story of the year, decade, and probably the century.

A Charlotte, North Carolina lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against fire, among other things. Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy, the lawyer filed claim against the insurance company.

In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost in a series of small fires. The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued … and WON! (Stay with me here.)

In delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer “held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigarswere insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire” and was obligated to pay the claim.

Rather than endure lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the rare cigars lost in the “fires.”

NOW FOR THE BEST PART…

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON! With his owninsurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine.

This is a true story and was the First Place winner in the recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest.

Only in America! No wonder the Third World countries think we are nuts :-)

Dave B

#25 Post by Dave B » June 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm

Have heard this before, I would love it to be true as well!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#26 Post by Alan C. » June 25th, 2012, 8:47 pm

And yet another deluded arsehole leaves the gene pool, this one was only 22 and I don't think he had yet passed on his madness.
Lawyer tells of agonising scenes as doctors forced to let a Jehovah's Witness who wanted to live, die
It's worth reading the article to see the dilemma doctors face, having to stand by and watch a young man with an easily curable illness die, while at the same time being unable to help the likes of Tony Nicklinson to end his life existence.

Alan C.

#27 Post by Alan C. » September 24th, 2015, 4:15 pm

This shouldn't be in the comedy thread but it fits with the thread title (I'm surprised it hasn't already been posted)
Hajj pilgrimage: 717 dead in crush near Mecca
I was only saying to Lewis the other night, it seems that every time a big gathering of religionists get together there is some sort of tragedy, and still they don't ask 'where was god'?