INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Weird Book Room

Enter here for humour and irreverence.
Ken H

The Weird Book Room

#1 Post by Ken H » November 28th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Some of these books would make great gifts for the holidays!

My favorite would be "The Pop-up Book of Phobias". :smile:

http://www.abebooks.com/books/weird/ind ... -_-t-01cta
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

animist

Re: The Weird Book Room

#2 Post by animist » November 28th, 2010, 6:03 pm

looking at the site, I was drawn to "Lenin's Embalmers"; the care given to the supposedly worthless cadaver of the great leader seems to remind us that the most irreligious doctrines cannot escape the human need for some form of religiosity

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » November 28th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Some great looking books there. I bought, "101 Uses for a Dead Cat" as a pressie for a cat loving friend (with the right kind of ironic humour) many years ago. Good imaginative stuff.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

adrianbkelly

#4 Post by adrianbkelly » February 13th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Giraffes? Giraffes! is a very funny book and is one of a range of spoof educational books for children, including "Your Disgusting Head: The Darkest, Most Offensive & Moist Secrets of Your Mouth, Nose & Ears."

I bought it for my wife, who has several toy giraffes named after British newsreaders. Don't ask.

Ade
A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. – Mark Twain

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » February 14th, 2011, 12:04 am

adrianbkelly wrote:I bought it for my wife, who has several toy giraffes named after British newsreaders. Don't ask.
But we need to know...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

adrianbkelly

#6 Post by adrianbkelly » February 14th, 2011, 6:24 am

My wife loves giraffes and when I bought her a toy one, we had just seen the episode of "The Royle Family" where you find out that Norma's last words were "Trevor McDonald", which she found hilarious. She needed a name for her giraffe and voila!
She now also has Bill Turnbull, Dermot Murnaghan and (not strictly a newsreader) Jeremy Paxman.

She's 35.
A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. – Mark Twain

Nick

#7 Post by Nick » February 14th, 2011, 10:49 am

Are you deliberately avoiding the possibility of your giraffes breeding?

While we are on the subject of naming giraffes, (and the topic doesn't come around as often as you might think or wish,) some years back, Longleat had a baby giraffe called Twiglet. Could there ever be a better name for a baby giraffe?

Well, maybe..... If I had a cuddly toy giraffe of my own, I'd call her Sophie Raworth. :wink:

Griblet

#8 Post by Griblet » February 14th, 2011, 11:08 am

We have a large cast-iron pig, dressed as a chef, called 'Gross Loydman'.
A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

adrianbkelly

#9 Post by adrianbkelly » February 14th, 2011, 12:23 pm

We're not deliberately trying to limit the giraffe population of the house, but I think we'd have to bring in more than one female at one time; it would be cruel to subject Sophie Raworth, or any other female, to the attentions of 4 sex-starved newsreading giraffes. Also, think of the mess!

Twiglet is a great name, especially as Mel loves those too! I'll suggest it to her when she gets her next giraffe.

Ade