INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Search found 157 matches

by Kismet
July 13th, 2012, 4:59 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: Heidegger Contra Humanism
Replies: 18
Views: 3586

Re: Heidegger Contra Humanism

Kismet, could you respond to my request for one topic within the broad area of Phenomenology that we could discuss? That which is, is not scientific. That is, it cannot be filtered through our discursive account of being in the world, because to do so is to already conceal Being. Our right orientat...
by Kismet
July 12th, 2012, 3:30 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution
Replies: 38
Views: 8588

Re: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution

Alan H wrote:Meaningless nonsense.
In the very act, you condemn, and thus condemn yourself...
"There has to be another way."
I wonder what you think that should be...in your judgement, of course.
Prefer 'estimation' - though none of us are exempt from judgment.
by Kismet
July 12th, 2012, 1:03 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution
Replies: 38
Views: 8588

Re: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution

I certainly judge and come to my own decisions at what I laugh at. Do you think it should be otherwise? The problem is judgment is almost invariably a form of attack. Even if you are correct insofar as the facts support you. But the attitude to bear is what matters. Humanism does not serve as a suf...
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution
Replies: 38
Views: 8588

Re: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution

I responded to your points in detail in that other thread, and you didn't respond to my last post. Now you seem to be starting again, saying the same things slightly differently (but no more clearly), without taking on board earlier responses. Will you disappear again if you feel you're not getting...
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 2:46 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: Heidegger Contra Humanism
Replies: 18
Views: 3586

Heidegger Contra Humanism

A superb examination of Heidegger's rejection of humanism:



Much better explanation than I am capable of.
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 2:43 am
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Australian Guides show the way
Replies: 66
Views: 5579

Re: Australian Guides show the way

Still not sure I understand what you believe a secular state is. Can you explain? A state which disowns Being in the form of religion. I have no idea what on earth you mean by that. It would be helpful if you could explain further. Being discloses itself in various ways. At times in the form of rel...
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 2:40 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution
Replies: 38
Views: 8588

Re: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution

Alan H wrote:
Kismet wrote:The problem with humanism is that, basing its morality on the human, it is involved in a gross form of hypocrisy and power grabbing when it judges those which do not accept humanist principles as criminals.
:hilarity:
You may laugh but do you have any right to judge?

That is the question.
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 12:14 am
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Australian Guides show the way
Replies: 66
Views: 5579

Re: Australian Guides show the way

Alan H wrote:Still not sure I understand what you believe a secular state is. Can you explain?
A state which disowns Being in the form of religion.
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 12:13 am
Forum: Religion
Topic: Eternal torment in Hell
Replies: 119
Views: 9735

Re: Eternal torment in Hell

That is hardly an understanding of quantum physics; it is a layman's interpretation of an apparent consequence of it; not the same thing at all. Precisely. Therefore, all three of these things may be rendered at home and consistent with one another. Of course, you may disagree if you are a strict f...
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 12:12 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: How becoming a Humanist transformed my life for the better
Replies: 22
Views: 3041

Re: How becoming a Humanist transformed my life for the better

Kismet Define "reality" in this use. Our personal "reality" is extremely vulnerable to how we perceive the world around us and what we make of the experiences of life. The "reality" of the physical immediate world around us may be vulnerable to our actions, e.g. is it a reality that we can either m...
by Kismet
July 11th, 2012, 12:03 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: How becoming a Humanist transformed my life for the better
Replies: 22
Views: 3041

Re: How becoming a Humanist transformed my life for the better

Put simply, you can imagine axes extending outward from your own body and attaching themselves to each of these propositions. I consider this a bad thing. Put simply, I'm beginning to imagine axes -- and other implements with sharp edges -- extending outward from my own (yes, I know it's redundant)...
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Forum: Sciences and pseudo-science
Topic: The Science of Morality
Replies: 25
Views: 3070

Re: The Science of Morality

Tetenterre wrote:
Fia wrote: Could I have subtitles in plain English, please, Kismet?
Careful, Fia -- s/he's likely to get them from here! :D
Deepak Chopra is indeed a wise man with much practical wisdom and insight underneath his belt. But I agree some of the things he churns out could be less banal.
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution
Replies: 38
Views: 8588

Re: Guilt, Projection, and Moral Execution

Kismet, I am lost. How did you get from assuming (older) people do bad things because life was hard (my words), to, you feel sorry for the criminal and that is somehow all connected to the inadequacy of Humanism? I see an argument about original sin and giving yourself to Jesus arising. I actually ...
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum: Positive Humanism
Topic: A Northumberland HUMANIST nurse donates kidney to stranger
Replies: 29
Views: 4876

Re: A Northumberland HUMANIST nurse donates kidney to stranger

You misuse the phrase " beg the question ". How do I misuse the phrase? You have an unstated assumption in your argument, in that sense I use the phrase correctly. But, for the sake of argument, let's grant your statement the meaning that you seemed to intend: I was merely asserting that they were ...
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Australian Guides show the way
Replies: 66
Views: 5579

Re: Australian Guides show the way

My point is, a secular state is no more neutral than a religious state or a fascist state or a humanist state. ;)
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:31 pm
Forum: Sciences and pseudo-science
Topic: The Science of Morality
Replies: 25
Views: 3070

Re: The Science of Morality

Ah, I think you are perhaps getting your sociological and Freudian psychological terminology confused. Do you mean cultural mores? - a culture in itself surely can't have ego or indeed superego. I still don't get your 'oughts built into reality'. Where people don't have enough food, of course 'heal...
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Australian Guides show the way
Replies: 66
Views: 5579

Re: Australian Guides show the way

Fia wrote:So religionists are so unsure of their 'faith' that they can't get on with it privately without being bolstered by the state?
The topic is neutrality.
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum: Religion
Topic: Eternal torment in Hell
Replies: 119
Views: 9735

Re: Eternal torment in Hell

Before I can agree or disagree with your assertion is true, I need to know what you understand by quantum physics. Can you provide the meaning you ascribe to it? QP says, or rather implies, that this world is a projection. That it is observer-dependent and has no separate existence. Advaita teaches...
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:15 pm
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Australian Guides show the way
Replies: 66
Views: 5579

Re: Australian Guides show the way

Alan H wrote:What 'religious forms and traditions' are dissolved by this secularisation and why?
With the promotion of secularism, both in the state and in the masses, religion in all its forms gradually decreases.
by Kismet
July 10th, 2012, 1:14 pm
Forum: Sciences and pseudo-science
Topic: The Science of Morality
Replies: 25
Views: 3070

Re: The Science of Morality

'Cultural superego'???? 'fabric of reality'???? Could I have subtitles in plain English, please, Kismet? Cultural superego, in other words what a culture takes itself to be. Like wearing fifteen copper rings on your neck. Obviously not keeping in with what is biologically permissible or favourable....