INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used. For further information, see our Privacy Policy. Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

Search found 633 matches

by Lord Muck oGentry
November 8th, 2007, 8:38 pm
Forum: Sciences and pseudo-science
Topic: The earth is 6,000 years old.
Replies: 26
Views: 3116

Alan H wrote:
gcb01 wrote:This was simply an unsuccessful ruse to get round a US Supreme Court ruling.
Yes, but what'll be their next tactic (assuming we don't think they'll just give up!)?




Nice warm words like diversity:

http://learning-together.org.uk/docs/called16.htm
by Lord Muck oGentry
November 5th, 2007, 1:44 am
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Should Ian Blair resign over De Menezes shooting?
Replies: 20
Views: 2509

FloatingBoater wrote:
De Menenses was and innocent victim, yes,

not of the Met

but of the terrorists still amongst us who would threaten us all.


True

False

False

( in that order)


FB,

I understand, I hope, why you say these things. But I prefer humdrum truth.
by Lord Muck oGentry
November 5th, 2007, 1:08 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: The Achilles Heel of Atheism
Replies: 9
Views: 1253

Maria wrote:I like how you think, Lord Muck.


I bet you say that to all the boys!

:)
by Lord Muck oGentry
November 5th, 2007, 12:48 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: The Achilles Heel of Atheism
Replies: 9
Views: 1253

Re: The Achilles Heel of Atheism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aETl0oALYxg I can't work out if this is a weak attempt at humour or the guy is actually serious. He's all dressed up in a suit and tie and standing in front of a book case - is he taking off someone or genuinely trying to give himself an air of gravitas? If the latter...
by Lord Muck oGentry
November 4th, 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: The Achilles Heel of Atheism
Replies: 9
Views: 1253

There are several modern versions of the Ontological Argument. As that cove mentioned Norman Malcolm, I imagine this is what he had in mind:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/o/ont-arg.htm

Section 4, about two thirds of the way down the page.
by Lord Muck oGentry
November 3rd, 2007, 12:00 am
Forum: Miscellaneous Discussions...
Topic: Why exactly do hospitals need to know...?
Replies: 15
Views: 2099

They've been watching too much MASH and want Mulcahy Red to " put the fix in"?
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 27th, 2007, 2:11 am
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: How to shut an atheist up
Replies: 10
Views: 1573

"1. When the prissy anti-Christs tell you the Bible stands in the way of science, inform them that the greatest scientific geniuses in history were devout Christians-and scientists from Newton to Einstein insisted that biblical religion provided the key ideas from which experimental science cou...
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 21st, 2007, 12:55 am
Forum: Religion
Topic: Don't you wish there was life after death, though?
Replies: 65
Views: 5272

Can't really say whether it would help me contemplate death if I thought I could survive it and go on to Paradise or something of that sort. But that's because I think the notion is incoherent: talk of life after death is simply talk of life going on- only in a rather odd way. So that thought isn't ...
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 19th, 2007, 12:20 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Capital punishment and war
Replies: 11
Views: 1839

Re: Capital punishment and war

If I am opposed to the restoration of the death penalty because of the possibility of wrongful conviction and someone innocent being executed, to be consistent should I also be opposed to all war because of the possibility of innocent people being killed? It has been suggested elsewhere that I shou...
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 11th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

Deacon Doubtmonger wrote:LMoG: OK if I wait till the weekend also? Such few functioning brain cells as I have left are overburdened from my job and rapidly losing millivolts ...


Yes, of course. In fact, I may be busy for a few days myself.

And look after those brain cells- they're all we've got. :)
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 9th, 2007, 11:29 pm
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: Are you a humanist or what?
Replies: 456
Views: 68089

I don't mind atheist, secularist, humanist, naturalist.

But above all I'm a Resistentialist:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistentialism
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 8th, 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum: Humanism, secularism, freethought...
Topic: most overused bible verse
Replies: 25
Views: 3748

Another vote here for John 11:35.
But usually in the slightly extended form-
John 11 [ empty intensifier] 35.
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 8th, 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

Good one, Nick. :)
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 8th, 2007, 12:15 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

DD, Sorry for the delay. Let me deal with the CofE joke first. The clergyman is a stock figure, who finds himself in a quandary when he is challenged about eternal suffering in Hell. He can't deny the dogma without impiety, but his natural kindness rebels at the thought of such suffering. So he reso...
by Lord Muck oGentry
October 2nd, 2007, 11:22 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

DD,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

May I put off replying until the weekend? For the moment at least, other matters call.
by Lord Muck oGentry
September 29th, 2007, 2:35 am
Forum: Sciences and pseudo-science
Topic: A cool site that explains the evidence for creation.
Replies: 2
Views: 687

FMG!
It's got footnotes. Well, that settles it. :grin:
by Lord Muck oGentry
September 29th, 2007, 2:17 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

If we are to say instead that using the gas is objectionable but using the wand is not, we need to find a relevant difference. One way is to say that religious belief is erroneous and irreligion is not. And it could be said that no excuse is needed to change erroneous belief by coercion: error has ...
by Lord Muck oGentry
September 29th, 2007, 12:58 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

But what methods are justifiable if "it's dead but won't lie down"? To my mind, none. If this really is the case, then it means that there is a significant proportion of people for whom it is a natural part of their existence, and any attempt to change their minds will necessarily be coer...
by Lord Muck oGentry
September 28th, 2007, 12:01 am
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

I think, if religion was stripped of it's undeserved privileges IE tax breaks, bishops in the house of Lords, preachers in prisons, schools, hospitals et-al, it would die a natural death, and we'd all be better for it. Alan C, I admire the general sentiment. But what methods are justifiable if &quo...
by Lord Muck oGentry
September 25th, 2007, 11:14 pm
Forum: Humanist Ethics & Morality
Topic: Religion-erasing magic wand?
Replies: 23
Views: 4783

DD, If you enjoy comedy treatments of religion, you may like this: m I certainly did. On the main topic, I may have failed to get my thoughts across. Using the wand is objectionable IMO for the same reason as using the gas. Leaving the question of consequences aside, for the moment at least, I objec...