INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Leo Igwe arrested again

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Alan H

Leo Igwe arrested again

#1 Post by Alan H » January 12th, 2011, 11:49 pm

Leo Igwe has been arrested again.

From Leo's brother, Uche, earlier this evening:
Dear All,

I have just been informed that Leo Igwe has been arrested by the police in Akwa Ibom State. I got a text from his wife now and we still do not know where they too him too.
He has been campaigning in Uyo the last time we spoke a few days ago. The government of Godswill Akpabio has promised to deal with Activists who are working on the issue of abandoned child witches.

Please anyone who has a contact with Akwa Ibom State government should help as we want to send a locate Leo and send him legal representation.

Uche Igwe
From Josh Kutchinsky:
I have just spoken with Uche Igwe (Leo's brother) in the
United States.

It is important that people try to make inquiries of the officials in Akwa Ibom State. I will try and provide numbers so that people can begin to make representations. Below is a press release put out by Uche.

Josh
Leo Igwe, Humanist Leader and child rights campaigner arrested by Police in Akwa Ibom State

News reaching us now has confirmed that Mr. Leo Igwe, Humanist leader and representative of International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) in Africa has been arrested by the police in Akwa Ibom State. The information reaching us is sketchy but someone has confirmed that Leo and his colleague Ernest Asuquo are currently being held at the Anti kidnapping unit at the Police Area command in Uyo. He is in communicado and has not been allowed to speak to any member of his family or his lawyers. Leo Igwe and his colleagues have been working on the campaign against child with witches in Akwa Ibom State. He has led a statewide campaign and has freed many children who were accused to be witches. A few days ago he freed a child who fled persecution and was living with a lunatic because of the accusation that she was a witch by her family.

We are outraged and we urge the Akwa Ibom State government to immediately and unconditionally release these activists (Leo and Earnest) who are helping to advance the rights of abandoned children and who are fighting relentlessly for the abolition of the inhuman act of killing innocent citizens in the name of belief.

Uche Igwe

[email protected]
From James Ibor, Executive Secretary, Basic Rights Counsel in Nigeria:
i have confirmed that leo is held in the police headquarters ikot akpanabia, uyo, akwa ibom state. I hope to see him tomorrow morning to ascertain the reason for his arrest.He is billed to testify at the Justice Abraham led commission of inquiry into cases of child abuse on Friday 14th Jan.,2011 at court six.
start serious press,sam itauma is already maliciously standing trial for daring to expose witch hunters in akwa ibom state
James Ibor
Executive Secretary
Basic Rights Counsel
N0.53,IBB Way,Calabar
Cross River State
Nigeria.
TEL:+234 8037367684;+234 8028800874.
From Josh:
I have been scouring the internet but I think not very effectively. All I have managed to come up with are these:

Akwa-Ibom State High Court of Justice
15, Ekpeyong Street, Uyo.y
085-204557, 202483, 201033

Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice,
Akwa-Ibom State Ministry of Justice,
Wellington Bassey Way, Uyo.
085-201831.

I am not sure how accurate they are or whether contacting them will do much good but tomorrow I will try and obtain from them further information if I can.

I also have the address for
His Excellency Chief (Dr.) Godswill Akpabio
Governor of Akwa Ibom State,
Government House,
Wellington Bassey Way,
Uyo,
Akwa Ibom State,
Nigeria

This was from a letter written to him by the Bar Human Rights Committee. So I have also sent an email to them.

No doubt others will be galvanizing some action and we will hear more later.

Very concerned at this disturbing news in what is a very frightening region,

Regards

Josh
I will update this thread when I get any further information.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

Re: Leo Igwe arrested

#2 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 12:53 am

Article on Sahara Reporters about Leo's arrest:
Clampdown On Child Rights Activists In Akwa Ibom State: Leo Igwe Arrested By Police On the Orders Of Gov. Akpabio
Posted: January 12, 2011 - 23:46
Posted by siteadmin

By SaharaReporters, New York

SaharaReporters has confirmed the arrest in Akwa Ibom State, of another child rights activist, Mr. Leo Igwe.

Mr. Igwe, a leader and representative of International Humanist and Ethical Union (IHEU) in Africa, was arrested by the police in Akwa Ibom State earlier today as the state governor Goodswill Akpabio begins clamping down on activists involved in the rescue of children accused of witchcraft.

Mr. Akpabio had vowed to jail the activists for bringing his administration into disrepute over the campaign against the harmful traditional practice, which violate the rights of children in the state.

A family member told Saharareporters that Mr. Igwe and his colleague, Ernest Asuquo, are currently being held at the anti-kidnapping unit at the police command in Uyo. The men are being held incommunicado and have not been allowed to speak to any member of his family or his lawyers.

Mr. Igwe, along with Sam Ituama, who runs a homeless shelter for rescued child “witches,” have been working on the campaign against child abuse in Akwa Ibom State. The successful campaigns have exposed the depth of the harmful practice in the state. But it has also pitched the activists against the state governor, who recently accused them of “corruption”.

Yesterday, Saharareporters reported on the governor’s attempt to railroad Mr. Ituama into the dock in a separate trial of someone else in which he had merely been invited to testify.

Mr. Igwe, for his part, has led a statewide campaign and has freed many children who were accused of being witches. A few days ago he freed a child who fled persecution because of the accusation by her family that she was a witch and was found living with a lunatic.

Speaking to SaharaReporters from Washington DC, Mr. Igwe’s younger brother, Uche, said, ”We are outraged and we urge the Akwa Ibom State government to immediately and unconditionally release these activists (Leo and Earnest) who are helping to advance the rights of abandoned children and who are fighting relentlessly for the abolition of the inhuman act of killing innocent citizens in the name of belief.”

SaharaReporters tried reaching officials of the Akwa State government to obtain their reaction but was told a majority of them were already in Abuja for the Peoples Democratic Party presidential primaries holding tomorrow to pick the ruling party’s presidential flagbearer.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

thundril

#3 Post by thundril » January 13th, 2011, 1:00 am

This is outrageous. Sorry it's been going on so long and this is the first I've noticed.
What can I do to help?
Is Avaaz aware?

Alan H

#4 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 1:13 am

Although he was arrested a while ago, it's been quiet until this evening. Although I have met Leo, I have to rely on information from Josh who knows him well and who is in contact with his brother.

I suspect it's best to wait until morning and see if there is further news.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 10:42 am

From Josh this morning:
I have just spoken with Hon. Justice Abraham who is the Chairperson of the Akwa-Ibom State Commission of Inquiry into Witchcraft Accusations and Child Rights Abuses.

He informed me that Leo Igwe is scheduled to give evidence to the Commission tomorrow. I asked Justice Abraham to do all in his power to ensure the safety of Leo and of the other person arrested with him, Mr Ernest Asuquo.

I do not want to do anything to upset Justice Abraham whom I hope may have the power to be able to protect Leo.

I have tried the telephone numbers I found for Akwa-Ibom State High Court of Justice and the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, but none of them seem to be working numbers they are all of the form 085xxxxxx which I dialed, prefixed by the country code for Nigeria 00234

I will keep you posted with news as I have it.

I know that many of you know Leo well.

For those who are new to Hummay or those who have heard of Leo's arrest last year in Mbaise, Imo State, in Southern Nigeria.

This is now a very different situation. Last year Leo and his family members were being harassed in his home state further to their championing the cause of a young girl who had been raped and whose assailant, by means of power and corruption, was evading justice.

Here we are talking of Akwa Ibom State in Southern Nigeria

The issue here has been Leo and others defending human rights in relation to accusations of witchcraft. A conference organised by Leo had been disrupted and Leo had been attacked and physically assaulted. The situation is complex. Others, it is now being claimed, are being hounded by the Governor of the State of Akwa Ibom for the embarrassment that such human rights activities is causing him.

It is vitally important that all concerned know that people from all over the world are now focussing their attention on Akwa Ibom State and watching how Human Rights Defender Leo Igwe and his colleagues and friends are being treated.

Please do all you can.

Best wishes

Josh Kutchinsky
Alan Henness

animist

#6 Post by animist » January 13th, 2011, 10:56 am

thanks, Alan, for this information. I urge all TH members to join and/or support Amnesty International and all other human rights groups who campaign against the awful things like this that go on worldwide. Unfortunately it does seem that this loathsome persecution of so-called child witches uses religion as an excuse for their practices. Also, looking at an article on an exorcism cult in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, it seems that the village in question had expensive stuff like refrigerators - when these did not work for whatever reason, child witches were blamed. Whatever is going on?

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 11:17 am

An article, written by Leo a few days ago, in the Nigerian Tribune:
Akpabio and the child-witch commission

Written by Leo Igwe Wednesday, 05 January 2011

IN what appears to be another move to combat the allegations of witchcraft and child abuse, the governor of Akwa Ibom State, Chief Godswill Akpabio, has inaugurated a six-member Commission to inquire into witchcraft accusations and child rights abuses in the state. He charged it to recommend appropriate actions to be taken to protect children from being branded witches and wizards, in order to guard against future occurence. The governor asked the Commission to determine the veracity of all the allegations of witchcraft against children and infliction of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment upon such children, and to examine the role and culpability of all the allegations and abuses or practices and make recommendations.

He urged the people of Akwa Ibom to cooperate with the Commission, in order to 'obliterate this blot from the pages of our history'. The Commission is chaired by Justice Godwin Abraham and has Barrister Theresa Obot, Dr Okon Edet Akaiso, Dr Essien Edward Essien, Rt Rev John Koko-Bassey, Barrister Uduak Victor Ekwere, as members. The Commission was given six weeks to submit its report.

Anyone who has been following the 'child witch saga' in Akwa Ibom State would regard this as a welcome development.

Surely it is, particularly when looked at on the surface. But taking a critical look at this development, one wonders why the state government decided to set up this Commission after passing into law the child rights Act, which prohibits witchcraft acusations and child abuse. If the government was yet to determine the veracity of the allegations of witchcraft against children and inf!iction of degrading treatment on them, why did it sign into law the child rights bill, with sections that prohibit child witch stigmatisation?

That there is already an existing law enacted by the state implies that the government is not in doubt as to the veracity of the claims of witchcraft accusations and child abuse. So, what is the rationale behind setting up this body? Does it mean that the allegations of witchcraft and child abuse were not verified before the government enacted the child rights law? If there is one thing any intelligent observer of the situation in Akwa Ibom is expecting from the government, it is not to setting up a body to inquire into the allegations of witchcraft, but to facilitate the enforcement and implementation of the child rights law, which was enacted in 2008.

Since this law came to be two years ago, Akwa Ibom has not recorded any successful prosecution. Not even one offender had been convicted or punished under the child rights law in the state. And this has nothing to do with the veracity of the allegations of witchcraft, but has everything to do with the gaps in the political will, in the policing and justice system in Akwa Ibom State. And if this Commission could at the end of the day succeed in closing these gaps, and ensure the full implementation of the child rights Act, then, the whole idea of setting it up would have been worthwhile.

But that seems unlikely, going by the pronouncement of the government of Akwa Ibom, particularly its reactions to the international media coverage of the problem of witchraft accusations and child abuse. Some people think the government might at the end of the day have some hidden agenda for setting up the Commission. In August, the CNN broadcast a report on child witch stigmatisation in Akwa Ibom state. It highlighted the role of churches in fueling the problem, and what governemental, including the United Nations agencies were doing to address this menace. That report by the CNN angered the government of Akwa Ibom State for reasons I am yet to understand, for the government was given the opportunity by the CNN to state its case and present its own side of the story, but it blew it. The CNN reporter interviewed the Commissioner of Information to know what the government was doing to tackle the problem of witchcraft accusations and child abuse, but the Commissioner used the time to attack individuals and NGOs, whom he accused of exaggerating the problem and using it to raise money for themselves. The governor, in his own reaction, was visibly upset. He also blamed the NGOs for using the same images to generate international sympathy and funds.

However, he outlined the efforts his government had made to tackle the problem, including enacting the child rights law, providing free education to all children from primary to secondary level, and making some donations to stigmatised children in Eket. The governor admitted that, after two years of enacting the law, not a single offender had been successfully prosecuted. It was not long after this broadcast on the CNN, which rattled the Akwa Ibom State government, that the governor inaugurated this Commission.

The world is watching, and many are wondering what could be the real motive behind setting up this august body. It is only time that will tell what the actual mission of this Commission is. I hope at the end of the day, this Commission would not be used to witchhunt individuals and groups, particularly those whom the government accuses of using the witchcraft problem to dent the image of the state internationally.

I hope the Commission will not be used to undermine the work of NGOs, who are complimenting the efforts of the government in the fight against child witch stigmatisation. The Commission should be used to recognise the selfless efforts and humanitarian gestures of individuals and groups, which have worked over the years under very dangerous circumstances, to tackle this social scourge with little or no assistance from the government. The Commission should work to fill in the gaps in the response by the state to this embarrassing phenomena and facilitate the total eradication of child witch stigmatisation in Akwa Ibom State.

Igwe, IHEU Representative in West Africa, wrote in from Ibadan.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 11:48 am

From Josh:
Dear all,

I have just received the following messages regarding the release of Leo Igwe from custody

Hello friends, I am Eugene Igwe ,Leo Igwe's brother. I was informed minutes ago that Leo has been released. My brothers Martin Igwe and Uche appreciate your solidarity in these challenging times. The struggle continues. Thanks , Eugene Igwe.

From Gary Foxcroft, Stepping Stones Nigeria,

I have just spoken with Leo. He has been released without charge. He got a bit of a beating in custody but is in good spirits.

I’ve told him to get some rest, food and a bath and I will call later to follow up.

The judge has been of great help. Please do thank him.

All best wishes,

Gary
Alan Henness

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 2:15 pm

From Josh:
Hi everyone.
I have now just spoken with Leo. He is in his hotel where he had been staying. He sounds shaken but strong. He is very appreciative of the reaction from all over. And he is sure it helped in getting him released. This morning he was told that the driver and photographer, who had been arrested with him yesterday, were to be released but that he wouldn't be.

I was very impressed with the speed with which Hon Justice Godwin Abraham responded to my call to him for assistance. The Judge is chairing the Commission of Enquiry at which Leo was meant to give testimony tomorrow morning.

I wrote to thank him for his response before hearing of the release of Leo.

I wrote:
I very much appreciate the speed of your response to my request.
I very much hope Mr Igwe will be released shortly and be able to assist your commission in its work.

I trust that I may contact you again should there be any further unfortunate developments. Otherwise, I once again thank you for your kind and swift response and remain,

yours sincerely,

Josh Kutchinsky
Leo is resting now and has promised to make a statement soon about the recent events.

I sent him all our love.

Regards

Josh
Alan Henness

Alan H

#10 Post by Alan H » January 13th, 2011, 5:49 pm

http://www.saharareporters.com/news-pag ... ce-command
Leo Igwe Regains Freedom: Brutalized by Akwa Ibom Police Command
Posted: January 13, 2011 - 18:40
Posted by siteadmin
By SaharaReporters, New York

Leo Igwe, an activist arrested last Tuesday in the ongoing onslaught against child rights activists by the Akwa Ibom State government, was released today by the Police who claimed it was a case of mistaken identity.

Confirming his freedom in a telephone chat with Saharareporters, Mr. Igwe described his incarceration as a nasty experience.

“It was a terrible encounter and it was premeditated going by the way they executed the plot to hold me accountable for “kidnapping;” my hands were tied behind me and they beat me mercilessly,” he said.

He stated further, “My head was swollen and I kept massaging it so that it does not become permanent; from Tuesday night to this morning I was kept incommunicado and had no contact with either my family or my lawyers.”

Continuing his account, he said, “During my interrogation I discovered that my case was worsened by the fact that I was an Anti Witchcraft advocate; they kept saying that I was a fraudster making money from the child witch phenomenon so it was funny for them to say that it was a case of mistaken identity.”

It will be recalled that Governor Akpabio had promised to make life uncomfortable for NGO’s working on children’s rights in the state when he ordered the arrest of Sam Ikpe-Itauma in a radio broadcast last year.

The Governor reportedly promised that “Heads will Roll” when he was reacting to a report aired by CNN on the child witch situation.

Sam Ikpe-Itauma is currently being hounded and is facing charges of witchcraft stigmatization along with a Pastor who, in a documentary aired on BBC Channel 4, confessed to having killed over 100 “child witches.”

However, the Akwa Ibom State Commissioner for Information told Saharareporters from Abuja today that Mr. Igwe was arrested in a bank for "fraud-related issues", and that the current prosecution of Ikpe-Ituama was as a result of a court bench warrant that summoned him to testify in the ongoing case against the pastor.
The Commissioner’s explanation concerning Mr. Igwe is significantly different from the “mistaken identify” statement attributed to the Police, unless it means that the Police arrested the activist believing he was someone else.
Alan Henness

Ophelia_Benson

#11 Post by Ophelia_Benson » January 13th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Could I make a suggestion or request? Could you move the new posts to a new topic? I'd like to link to this but the new posts start in the middle of page 2, so I can't link directly. It takes persistence to figure out that this topic starts a year ago and then skips more than half a year in the middle of page 2. You're providing solid information, not just discussion, so it would be well worthwhile to make it more easily accessible.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Leo Igwe arrested again

#12 Post by Maria Mac » January 13th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Good idea - done. Welcome, Ophelia. :)

Ophelia_Benson

#13 Post by Ophelia_Benson » January 14th, 2011, 2:25 am

Ah, thanks so much, Maria; that's much better! And thanks for providing all this material.

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » January 14th, 2011, 2:31 am

It's actually very easy (but far from obvious!) to link to one post in a thread: just click on the small symbol to the left of the post title.
Alan Henness

Ophelia_Benson

#15 Post by Ophelia_Benson » January 14th, 2011, 5:08 pm

I know, but I wanted to link to all the posts on the current situation. I was afraid that linking to just one post would make it look as if there were only one. I don't mean "I" in the "I want I want" sense - I thought it would be better for everyone who wants to know more about Leo's situation and everyone who wants to get the word out, if there were a new thread for the current situation. Thanks again for providing all this information.

Ophelia_Benson

#16 Post by Ophelia_Benson » January 16th, 2011, 12:41 am

Leo's account of his detention is here: http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/201 ... st-in-uyo/

He's still very battered and in pain, I'm sorry to say, and his left hand isn't working properly. That's his reward for rescuing a little girl who had been raped twice and was ill with malaria.

Alan H

#17 Post by Alan H » January 16th, 2011, 1:58 am

Thanks for that, Ophelia.
Alan Henness

joshkutchinsky

#18 Post by joshkutchinsky » January 17th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Earlier this evening I spoke with Leo Igwe.

Today, Monday 17th January, Leo Igwe was subjected to several hours of close questioning and cross examination before the Akwa-Ibom State Commission of Inquiry into Witchcraft Accusations and Child Rights Abuses .
There were four lawyers present representing Helen Ukpabio, the notorious founder and head of African Evangelical franchise Liberty Foundation Gospel Ministries. They questioned Leo in apparent collusion with government lawyers in an attempt to discredit him as a witness. They asked a lot about Leo's financial arrangements, his employment by the International Humanist and Ethical Union and how much money he earned. They asked him whether he believed in God. Leo Igwe answered that it depended how you understood what is meant by God. They asked whether humanists believed in the God Jehovah? He answered that they did not. Wanting to pin him down they asked more directly: did he believe that God had created the world? Leo answered, to some amusement, that he didn't know as he wasn't there at the time. It then seems that the Bishop, Member of the commission, asked that the questioners move on having established that Leo believed in a God.
Leo felt that nothing was established, by the lawyers questions and his answers before the Commission, to lend any currency to accusations that he was profiting from his consistent and unequivocal defense of the human rights of children in Akwa Ibom State.
Leo is now planing to leave Akwa Ibom and return to his bride (he married on 5th January) and family and friends. All of whom have understandable been most worried and concerned.