View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:27 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What does Halloween celebrate? 

I had about 30 guisers, all primary school age children. They were guisers in the Scots tradition, all with a turn to do - mainly the jokes nine year olds find funny - and grateful for the sweeties I put in their bags. I well understand the apprehension some people have of Halloween but here it is lovely. Parents hover in the street to make sure their offspring do it right and give a grateful and cheery wave before they go off elsewhere.

November 1st, 2010, 9:01 am

It's good to know that it is still being celebrated in true Scottish fashion (should that be Celtic?). It would be a shame if it just became another retail festival. I heard on the TV that it is the 2nd biggest money making festival after christmas in the US.

I was shopping in Glasgow at the weekend (I got a really nice top, since you asked) and staff in all the shops were dressed in fancy dress costumes, which I don't mind at all, but I couldn't believe all the "halloween" tat for sale. Shame.

November 1st, 2010, 12:37 pm
Site Admin

Marian wrote:
Here are our costumes. No plastic landfill stuff, no cheesy plastic. Pure creativity and lots of cardboard boxes.

Fab costumes - you make a great milk carton! :laughter:

Not sure if everyone this side of the pond knows about the missing people on milk cartons thing, though.

November 1st, 2010, 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

Maria wrote:
Fab costumes - you make a great milk carton! :laughter:

Not sure if everyone this side of the pond knows about the missing people on milk cartons thing, though.

Thanks! We got lots of compliments from both adults and kids. It's fun to watch their faces light up when they get up close. Jr won 1st prize at his school for best costume. That'd be 3 years running. ;)

Didn't even occur to me that the missing persons/milk carton wasn't ubiquitous to both continents. North Americancentric, I guess :) They even post the missing persons pictures on transport trucks over here. What do they do in the UK?

November 1st, 2010, 1:36 pm

Details of missing persons have been put on some milk cartons/bottles, but I think it was mainly deliveries and I'm not sure I've ever seen them on supermarket milk.

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

November 1st, 2010, 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I wasn't aware of that. In answer to what we do about publicising missing persons in the UK, I'm not sure we do anything much beyond the occasional series on daytime TV.

November 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm
Profile WWW

There's a fairly big sandwich board in our Co-op entrance with the picture and descriptions of two missing men.

November 1st, 2010, 3:33 pm

We had 18 come by our house. All but one were very young kids, with their moms standing by. The older boy, about 6 feet tall, was dressed as a zombie rock star complete with a real guitar! We decorated with some pumpkins and skeleton lights. We never have any trouble with trick-or-treaters around here. Gave out little Milky Way bars, M&M's and Dum-Dums. The dentist will appreciate our efforts...

November 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm
Profile WWW

Maria wrote:
In answer to what we do about publicising missing persons in the UK, I'm not sure we do anything much beyond the occasional series on daytime TV.

Not much of a priority, I guess. The real emphasis is on missing children over here. Mostly parental/custody battles and teenagers running away. I wonder who thought of adverts on milk cartons in the first place?

Sorry, I'm getting things a bit off topic. ;)

November 1st, 2010, 5:05 pm
Site Admin

Marian wrote:
Sorry, I'm getting things a bit off topic. ;)

:pointlaugh: :laughter: :hilarity:

Trying to take all the credit are you?

November 1st, 2010, 6:24 pm
Profile WWW

Excellent costumes Marian, without resorting to plastic tat. I will admit to initially being a tad confused as to what was missing...

And a huge well done to Jnr for his first prize :clap:

November 1st, 2010, 9:29 pm

Maria wrote:
Trying to take all the credit are you?

:wink: Evil, aren't I?

Fia wrote:
Excellent costumes Marian, without resorting to plastic tat. I will admit to initially being a tad confused as to what was missing...
And a huge well done to Jnr for his first prize :clap:

Thank you, thank you. If you look again, you'll see that the missing sign is posted right across where my brain should be... :laughter:

November 2nd, 2010, 11:32 am

Good blog post:

Comedy Christians and Pagan hedonists

See also:

Christian groups criticise BBC coverage of paganism

Humanists warn of the ongoing fiction of unjust discrimination against Christians

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

November 2nd, 2010, 5:30 pm
Profile WWW

Anyone seen tyhis guy?

Totally brilliant.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =440625067

I doubt you could do that with a turnip!!

November 2nd, 2010, 6:04 pm

Totally brilliant! I agree! There is an abundance of talent out there. How come Tracey Emmin and here ilk are rated at all? :sick: Cue Emperor's New Bed, Emperor's New Tent, etc. A fool and his money are soon parted. Complete bollox.

November 3rd, 2010, 12:00 am

When visiting the Amsterdam Museum of Modern Art (not sure that's the correct name) my friend and I walked into a room which had a pile of rubble on the floor. We both immediatly looked up at see the damage to the roof, then fell about laughing when we realised that the rubble was the exibit. In another room there was what I thought was a radiator on the wall. That too was an exibit (and I got a row for touching it!)

I love Amsterdam, though. By far my favorite city in the world (though I must say I have yet to visit some)

I don't understand Tracy Emin at all. Banksy's good though!

November 3rd, 2010, 12:18 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3