INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Faith Schools

For discussions related to education and educational institutions.
getreal

Faith Schools

#1 Post by getreal » June 22nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 11566.html

Copied from Alan's Media scan (I hope that's OK)

This beggars belief. I'm glad it's not my taxes they are using to pay for this.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan C.

Re: Faith Schools

#2 Post by Alan C. » July 3rd, 2010, 4:57 pm

I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on cretinism but this will do just as well here.
Watch and weep (Only a couple of minutes).
Rare Look Inside Bible Belt Classroom
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » July 3rd, 2010, 5:51 pm

Ignorance Rules OK!

You can hear it in the voices of those kids that they cannot conceive of anything but the creationalist version.

I think as worrying as the growth of faith schools in this country is the point implied in the article that the governments are ignoring what the people say in surveys. But then, when did any government listen to the people except where they could not ignore the results of bye elections.

I wonder whether there are non-Christian faith schools in America? There is a very large, and powerful Jewish population in some locations, but what of others I wonder? Here we seem to attempt a multi-cultural society that tries to accommodate sometimes conflicting systems. Officially we are British first and whatever second - but is this the way most people feel? I think not.

In the States, or so I understand, the intention is you are American first in every way, the American culture was supposed to dominate and whatever ethnic group you belonged to came second (ideally, practically the divisions are there and may get worse between the Christians and the Muslims at least after some recent events.)

Faith schools can only widen that schism.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#4 Post by Fia » July 3rd, 2010, 9:10 pm

As usual, it's all about control, isn't it? In the US, the European founding fathers wanted their lifestyle and mores to be the foundation of the new society. As they expanded they imposed their cultural and legal imperialism upon the native population. Immigration to the melting pot could probably only work if there was a powerful cultural cohesion.

AFAIC there is no place for religion in any public sphere. Let those who wish to indoctrinate do so through out of school activities. If we don't educate our children together, how on earth do we expect them to live together?

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » July 3rd, 2010, 9:48 pm

A few comments from rd.net.
Comment 2 by Skeptic Pete

Dear oh dear oh dear.

"How could a black African have evolved from a white person? We have different skin!"
Notice also the not-so-subtle assumptions about race behind his view that blacks evolved from whites.

Wonder how he'd react to the likelihood that it was actually the other way round?
Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 4 by Richard Dawkins

"How could a black African have evolved from a white person? We have different skin!"

No, it's even funnier than that. He didn't say "black African", he said "African American." Most so-called African Americans are of mixed race anyway.

Richard

Marian

#6 Post by Marian » July 6th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Fia wrote: If we don't educate our children together, how on earth do we expect them to live together?
Imo, those religions that teach fundamentalism don't want their children to live with the heathens; they are considered an elect. Indoctrination is dangerous with/without faith schools.
Even the Westboro children attend a regular school but they are not to mingle with the non-believers except as casual acquaintances. Truly disturbing video here: http://n8rphelps.blogspot.com/2009/05/m ... erica.html
Transformative fire...

Compassionist

#7 Post by Compassionist » July 6th, 2010, 3:17 pm

Marian wrote:
Fia wrote: If we don't educate our children together, how on earth do we expect them to live together?
Imo, those religions that teach fundamentalism don't want their children to live with the heathens; they are considered an elect. Indoctrination is dangerous with/without faith schools.
Even the Westboro children attend a regular school but they are not to mingle with the non-believers except as casual acquaintances. Truly disturbing video here: http://n8rphelps.blogspot.com/2009/05/m ... erica.html
I agree.

Marian

#8 Post by Marian » July 6th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Dave B wrote: I wonder whether there are non-Christian faith schools in America? There is a very large, and powerful Jewish population in some locations, but what of others I wonder?
Out of curiosity, could you please define what you mean by a large and powerful Jewish population? Citations?
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » July 6th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Out of curiosity, could you please define what you mean by a large and powerful Jewish population? Citations?
A good point, Marian, and I stand guilty to being influenced by the media. They often seem to use phrases like, "The powerful Jewish lobby . . .", especially where this has anything to do with America's actions in the ME that might affect Israel. Because this is often mentioned these days perhaps I have come to think of it having influence in other areas of politics.

I am guilty of generalising. I beg your pardon.

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#10 Post by Marian » July 6th, 2010, 10:15 pm

:kiss: It's all good and yes, the media is quick to capitalize on questionable stereotypes/generalizations. Just keeping you on your toes. :)
Transformative fire...

Nick

#11 Post by Nick » August 17th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Richard Dawkins is presenting a programme on Faith Schools on More 4 at 9pm tomorrow, Wednesday 18th August 2010. If you can't receive More 4 (like me :sad:) I expect it will be available through the Richard Dawkins website, and probably as a podcast on line from More 4

getreal

#12 Post by getreal » August 17th, 2010, 6:03 pm

I've been looking foward to this for a few weeks now :D
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

jaywhat

#13 Post by jaywhat » August 18th, 2010, 9:37 am

Nick wrote:Richard Dawkins is presenting a programme on Faith Schools on More 4 at 9pm tomorrow, Wednesday 18th August 2010. If you can't receive More 4 (like me :sad:) I expect it will be available through the Richard Dawkins website, and probably as a podcast on line from More 4
Also with a strong article about it in the Radio Times.

Alan H

#14 Post by Alan H » August 19th, 2010, 12:35 am

Not seen it yet, but there's a good summary of it here.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#15 Post by Alan H » October 15th, 2010, 12:08 pm

The BHA do sterling work on many fronts and issue press releases on a very regular basis.

One of today's is about a Catholic priest writing in The Tablet, saying that children from unmarried couples should be put at the back of the queue behind the children of married couples:

BHA: priest's suggestion that children of unmarried couples should be turned away from Catholic schools is 'deeply unjust'
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Marian

#16 Post by Marian » October 16th, 2010, 10:57 am

AlanH,
There was one line that caught my eye from the article you posted about the Catholic priest wanting to spare the little bastards from the knowledge that they are going to burn in hell. Quite thoughtful of him really. :D

This is the quote: Such discrimination is currently prohibited by the admissions code, although many ‘faith’ schools are allowed to use religious criteria in allocating places.

I'm confused by this statement. So, it's discrimination to disallow students from entering a catholic school based on their parent's marital status but the religious criteria is ok to use for placement purposes. How is the second one different than the first?
Transformative fire...

peterangus

#17 Post by peterangus » October 17th, 2010, 8:53 pm

Fia wrote:....... Let those who wish to indoctrinate do so through out of school activities...............
We should discourage the religious indoctrination of young children, no matter where. Whether in-school or out-of-school.
Peter Angus

Fia

#18 Post by Fia » October 18th, 2010, 11:39 am

You are quite right, Peter :redface: I apologise for my sloppy language.

Alan C.

#19 Post by Alan C. » February 17th, 2011, 4:12 pm

I thought I was reading the Onion after the first few lines,
Catholic schools can avoid “unsympathetic meddling” by secularists if they take up the Government’s offer of academy status, the Education Secretary has said.
Please read the whole piece and see if sickens your stomach as it did mine.
Gove: Catholic schools can escape ‘meddling’ by becoming academies

lewist

#20 Post by lewist » February 17th, 2011, 5:35 pm

Education in England is entering a dark phase. This article is worrying. I'm just glad that this policy is not (at present) being introduced here. Yes, we do have catholic schools but they are under local authority control and by and large they have to follow the Curriculum for Excellence.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.