INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Marian

Re: Films

#141 Post by Marian » January 15th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Ikiru wrote:Marian, have you gotten Kurosawa's Ran out yet?
Not yet. Working on it :) Have you seen Rabbit Proof Fence?
Transformative fire...

Alan C.

#142 Post by Alan C. » January 15th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Marian wrote:
Ikiru wrote:Marian, have you gotten Kurosawa's Ran out yet?
Not yet. Working on it :) Have you seen Rabbit Proof Fence?
I watched Rabbit Proof Fence years ago, tear jerkingly moving.

Trivia, it's the longest fence anywhere in the world.
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Marian

#143 Post by Marian » January 15th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Alan C. wrote: I watched Rabbit Proof Fence years ago, tear jerkingly moving.
Trivia, it's the longest fence anywhere in the world.
Yes, I cried my way through it too. Oooh, I knew that bit of trivia! Yes, I did :)
Transformative fire...

Ikiru

#144 Post by Ikiru » January 15th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Marian wrote:Have you seen Rabbit Proof Fence?
Yes, I watched that for the first time last year (or was it 2008? my memory is going). Very good, and yes, I cried too!

The government only apologised for its treatment of the "stolen generations" just last year after Kevin Rudd was elected. A wee bit late methinks...

Speaking of Aussie films, has anyone seen Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? I don't usually go for comedies, but this was really good... You'll never see Agent Smith or Elrond the same way again! LOL
Sketches from Life
“The materials for poetry are all about you in profusion.” ~ Masaoka Shiki

Marian

#145 Post by Marian » January 16th, 2010, 11:17 am

Ikiru wrote: Yes, I watched that for the first time last year (or was it 2008? my memory is going). Very good, and yes, I cried too!

The government only apologised for its treatment of the "stolen generations" just last year after Kevin Rudd was elected. A wee bit late methinks...

Speaking of Aussie films, has anyone seen Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? I don't usually go for comedies, but this was really good... You'll never see Agent Smith or Elrond the same way again! LOL
Speaking of fading memory, did I already suggest you watch 'Igor'?

Absolutely shameful about that apology coming so late but the Canadian government did the same apology thing to the aboriginal peoples here for the exact same behaviour. I don't recall if the Australian gov't gave out any compensation but the Cdn gov't did to the tune of $350 million. Seems like a lot but really isn't considering the far reaching effects the residential schools had and continues to have on the community. Oh, better get off my soap box now, I could go on all day about this. :)

Haven't seen Priscilla. Will look into it.
Transformative fire...

Ikiru

#146 Post by Ikiru » January 18th, 2010, 3:45 am

I ordered Twelve Angry Men (the original with Henry Fonda and Lee J. Cobb, directed by Sidney Lumet) and should arrive here in the next few days. I watch this film probably once every 3-5 years at least but I've never actually owned it before (there are very few films I consider worth owning, even really good ones-- its just as well to hire them out instead). It is one of the best films that Hollywood has put out: low budget, no special effects, just a solid script and powerful acting. 95% of the film takes place on a single set. Its on my personal top five favourite films.

For those who haven't seen it, Twelve Angry Men is about a juvenile who has been accused of murdering his father with a switchblade. You don't actually see the trial itself, only the jury deciding whether the kid is guilty or not. Without really examining the evidence brought forth in the case, everyone just makes the assumption that the kid did the deed-- except for one man (played by Fonda)-- he doesn't think the defendant is innocent, he just simply thinks that just maybe there are some things to question before rushing off to a guilty verdict. What follows is the dismantling of prejudices and other non-rational thinking. It is almost as if the individual members of the jury are the ones who are on a different trial. Cobb absolutely steals the show, and his performance at the end always leaves me in tears.

I *HIGHLY* recommend this film-- its solid acting from start to finish.

Anyway, I'm stoked and can't wait to watch it again! :happyclappy:
Sketches from Life

Ikiru

#147 Post by Ikiru » February 1st, 2010, 3:27 pm

I didn't do this deliberately, but last night I watched two excellent Russian films:

Ivan's Childhood (directed by Tarkovsky):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056111

and a 1970 adaptation of Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064839

Ivan's Childhood is about a 12-year old spy for the Russians against the invading Nazis. The title of the film is ironic, since the main character never really had much of a childhood to speak of-- his family being murdered by the Nazis, he joins the Russian soldiers seeking vengeance. The film alternates between dream sequences and fantasies and the war torn reality Ivan lives in. The contrast between these dreams and reality, particularly the final dream sequence, only heightens the tragedy. Excellent cinematography.

The Crime and Punishment adaptation was very good-- more faithful to the novel than a BBC production from the late 70s with John Hurt which I watched last year (I love John Hurt, but I feel he was mis-cast for this part, as well as some of the other actors). Still, I was slightly annoyed that the ending felt too rushed (a problem with the BBC production as well). An extra 15-20 minutes I felt was needed to wrap up some loose ends to the story. The casting and acting was superb. I wished Katerina Ivanovna had gotten more screen time however-- the absurd pathos of her character is so memorable in the novel, and the actress here did an excellent job (if you know the novel, you know she is NOT over-acting).

I wouldn't recommend the film without first reading the novel. The translation by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky is readable and enjoyable. Its a gripping book-- my favourite novel ever. :thumbsup:
Sketches from Life

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#148 Post by Maria Mac » March 9th, 2010, 9:06 pm

I notice a lot of people are talking about Lovely Bones at the moment and with most of those who've read the book being disappointed in the film and those who haven't read the book rhapsodising about it.

We saw it at the weekend and, having the read the book, I was rather disappointed but Alan, who hasn't read the book, thought rather more of it. Amazing special effects and superb acting from the young star and her young co-stars but most of the characters seemed one-dimensional and the story was stripped to the bare bones with a lot of colourful detail missing.

Here's my post on the book copied from the book thread.
I haven't read many novels this year but my favourite was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, a story told in the first person by a teenage girl who was raped and murdered by a neighbour and who tells the story from heaven as she watches what happens to her family and friends after her death. Sebold is not religious and there is no hint of god or religion in the books. It's just a tale of the supernatural basically. I couldn't put it down. It's now a Hollywood film but the reviews aren't great.

getreal

#149 Post by getreal » March 9th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Anyone seen the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland? I was thinking of seeing it this weeked, but have read very mixed reviews.

I have just ordered No Man's Land, by Branko Djuric. Won an Oscar, I'm told.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Marian

#150 Post by Marian » March 10th, 2010, 11:12 am

getreal wrote:Anyone seen the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland? I was thinking of seeing it this weeked, but have read very mixed reviews.

Getreal,
You and Tim!
Me and Johnny!

I will be seeing this on video. Tim Burton is just bizarre enough to fascinate me. Burton and Depp have done something like 7 films together.
Transformative fire...

Nick

#151 Post by Nick » March 10th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Marian wrote:Tim Burton is just bizarre enough to fascinate me.
It's the surname that does it....... :D

Marian

#152 Post by Marian » March 10th, 2010, 5:08 pm

:laughter: Right you are, Nick!!
Transformative fire...

jamesjones950

#153 Post by jamesjones950 » March 10th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Watched a French film on BBC4 on iPlayer last night. Well worth a watch. A Cannes award winner.

"The Singer" in English, but actually "Quand j'etais chanteur" in original French

Gerard Depardieu
a "New Atheist" for the last 55 years

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#154 Post by Maria Mac » March 10th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Merci, James, I love good French films.

Paolo

#155 Post by Paolo » March 10th, 2010, 9:53 pm

getreal wrote:Anyone seen the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland? I was thinking of seeing it this weeked, but have read very mixed reviews.
Just watched it a couple of hours ago. I really enjoyed it, but that's partly because I wasn't expecting it to be anything like the book.

Hardly Oscar-winning or gritty drama, but for a bit of slightly surreal escapism it's pretty close to perfect.

Beki

#156 Post by Beki » March 17th, 2010, 11:21 pm

Paolo wrote:
Just watched it a couple of hours ago. I really enjoyed it, but that's partly because I wasn't expecting it to be anything like the book.

Hardly Oscar-winning or gritty drama, but for a bit of slightly surreal escapism it's pretty close to perfect.

Yup - I really liked it too. Apart from the fact that I watched it in 3D (first time at a 3D film). Not sure about that actually. It seemed to get really blurry when the action moved too fast which was quite off-putting. Wish I'd seen it in 2D. I love Tim Burton and I don't think anyone could have pulled the film off any better.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

getreal

#157 Post by getreal » March 17th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Thanks for sharing your views on that. I was begining to think it'd not be worth seeing as I had read so many poor reviews.

Beki- I was going to see it in 3D (never done that before either) but you have convinced me not to bother (think it'll save a few bob too!)
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Beki

#158 Post by Beki » August 13th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Anyone else seen Inception. Just went to see it last night and really enjoyed it!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - M Ghandi

Alan H

#159 Post by Alan H » September 7th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Came across this little gem: The Lunch date
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#160 Post by Dave B » September 7th, 2010, 6:14 pm

That was great Alan.

Especially in the opening scenes it is a good example of the fact that progress, in the form of colour in films, does not always improve things. Black and white films make more use of lighting to give effect, a far more exacting art to my mind.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#161 Post by Maria Mac » January 23rd, 2011, 2:57 pm

Saw The King's Speech yesterday and highly recommend it. Great cast! I don't often cry at the movies but this one had me blubbing all the way through out of empathy for the future George VI cos of his impediment.