INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Talk to Someone Else

Otherwise known as the Games Room, think of this as a subforum of the social club reserved just for sociable icebreaker games. Beware - they can be addictive!
jaywhat

Re: Talk to Someone Else

#101 Post by jaywhat » February 27th, 2011, 10:54 am

Latest post of the previous page:

You are too good for them - you'll be taking on the whole job next so you do not have to wait for slow coaches who do not have your drive.

Dave B

#102 Post by Dave B » February 27th, 2011, 10:57 am

On reflection, JW, it would not be good for the manager to get any member(s) of staff and me around a table to thrash it out, I am not in the "disciplinary loop" and the manager could not find in my favour in my presence. If I were in Paul's position I would find in favour of a staff member (assuming he was competent in all other respects and only had a personal issue with a single volunteer) every time, even if it meant losing that volunteer's skills. To do otherwise would cause problems.

His only solution would be to thank the vol. for his services so far and "let him go". Then he might suggest to the staff that they bring any future problems of a similar nature to his attention in future, before they become an issue!

Cross posted: I am what I am in terms of skills and hate to not be able to practice them but need a purpose to apply them to - no "art for art's sake" for me I fear! I have tried other volunteer jobs but this one has most of the elements I enjoy - except for this problem! Pity that politics, personal and other, too often get in the way of the good stuff.

Next week I may be spending more time tutoring someone in using a PC for Fair Shares - another "job" I enjoy.

Belated: Thanks for your comments and questions, JW, it is always good to have another's perspective on things that one is perhaps too close to. I am sure there is a solution, though it may be one that I do not like! Never mind, any viable solution, including, "Byee" is better than continued aggravation - go out on the highest high one can achieve! Even if it came to that I would complete the computer work as much as possible and send the files off to them. If they really need the gazetteer they will either find another vol to complete it or do the work themselves.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#103 Post by jaywhat » February 27th, 2011, 11:39 am

Good luck Dave. (I have just edited to add NOT)

Dave B

#104 Post by Dave B » February 27th, 2011, 11:49 am

There are days when I think the drive is stuck in reverse! :laughter:

Thanks again.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#105 Post by Dave B » March 9th, 2011, 7:30 pm

I mentioned, some where else, that I was a member of a team of amateur archaeologists and historians who researched a bit of Gloucester due for clearance for renewal and that we had been shortlisted (one of three finalists) for a national award for community involvement in heritage.

Well, we did not get the first prize, a big project on Dartmoor ticked more boxes than us, but we got the "Highly Commended" certificate. Also our self-effacing council employed mentor was inundated with requests for information on how she organised it since, unlike the Dartmoor job, it is affordable (= cheap) and the team (once trained) did 90% of the work on their own.

Most of the work was involved in surveying a specific, and very interesting, building in the freezing January/February of last year. I and my fellow historian, on the other hand, had the pleasure of spending a few weeks in a nice and warm County Archive!

All but two team members were retirees, the oldest being over 80, and the survey team was able to draw on their own experiences in trades like building, electrics, plumbing etc. to date the many changes that the building went through. We produced a report that was declared superior to anything that the professionals would have done (these days all council archaeology depts have to tender for work on an economic basis and usually produce as little as they can get away with for the price, it is no longer a true "profession" in the academic sense! They are contractors now.)

But I do not feel that we took work from them, without us the job would never have been considered by the city council or the development agency in the first place. Nor would the second, similar, project we did at the beginning of this year. But, another small part of Gloucester's history has been put into order and described.
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#106 Post by Alan C. » March 9th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Very interesting Dave and good work,

Lots of archaeological sites here in Shetland, Jarlshof being one of the best.

A local joke goes "I wonder why they built the village right next to the airport?"
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Dave B

#107 Post by Dave B » March 9th, 2011, 9:02 pm

That is one the places in the UK I would like to visit, Alan! And the brochs fascinate me as well.

I can only surmise that the Shetlands were a tad warmer in the old days!

Definition: archaeologist, a person who's career is in ruins.
Me, 2015

Nick

#108 Post by Nick » May 10th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Changing the subject totally, a GP friend of mine visited an exhibition for allergy-sufferers at Olympia at the weekend, and was surprised to find that in the other exhibition hall was an exhibition dedicated to pets....! There was fur and feathers everywhere! What great planning! :laughter:

jaywhat

#109 Post by jaywhat » August 11th, 2013, 11:48 am

Hello Mum! I may not try talking to you very often because you are dead. You cannot hear me and ,of course you cannot reply. I have also stopped writing to you, so my rubbishy self centred waffle will have to go into my daily writing and may or not end up on Kindle in some years time.
Bye for now. Love John ...what the fuck am I up to! :smile:

Ninny

#110 Post by Ninny » August 12th, 2013, 6:54 am

Hello, John! No, this is not your mother. It's your wife. Keep taking the tablets. x

jaywhat

#111 Post by jaywhat » August 12th, 2013, 8:13 am

:pointlaugh: xx