INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Alan H

Re: Films

#201 Post by Alan H » March 18th, 2012, 10:34 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Marian wrote:
getreal wrote:Oh! That's who's in Marians new avatar picture!!
LOL!! Yep. Drool.......
This, of course, makes absolutely no sense now Marian has changed her avatar!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Marian

#202 Post by Marian » March 19th, 2012, 6:21 am

Dave, I did see the ending. Thought it was disappointing. It seemed the acting went downhill but maybe that's because I thought it ridiculous that the bullets didn't hit Eli. I mean that's just taking Hollywood bullets too far. ;)

@AlanH, I had to put Marvin the Martian up. His favorite line is: You earth creatures make me very angry.
Seems fitting. :)
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#203 Post by Dave B » March 19th, 2012, 9:26 am

I agree with you about the ending - spoiled what could have been a very good film I think. It had the right elements but handled in the wrong way.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#204 Post by Marian » March 19th, 2012, 10:17 am

And besides, Dave, shouldn't Eli have sacrificed himself as in WWJD? :)
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#205 Post by Alan H » March 19th, 2012, 10:58 am

Marian wrote:@AlanH, I had to put Marvin the Martian up. His favorite line is: You earth creatures make me very angry.
Seems fitting. :)
:laughter: Very fitting!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

thundril

#206 Post by thundril » March 19th, 2012, 7:25 pm

Just watched Volver. (Written and directed by Pedro Almodovar)
Stunning portrayal of female strength against oppression. Also very moving, at times hilarious. And it's got Penelope Cruz in the lead role.
Last week watched Lord of War again. Chilling performances by Nicholas Cage and Eamonn Walker.

getreal

#207 Post by getreal » March 20th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Is Eamonn Walker the actor that Fatboy Slim used in his video. Weapon of Choise I think it was called.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#208 Post by Alan H » March 20th, 2012, 7:48 pm

No, that was Christopher Walken in Weapon of Choice.
Alan Henness

getreal

#209 Post by getreal » March 20th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Alan H wrote:No, that was Christopher Walken in Weapon of Choice.

Ooops! Spelling and wrong actor.

Choice
Choice
Choice
Choice
Choice

Fantastic clip BTW. Don't think I've seen it in it's entierity before.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#210 Post by Alan H » March 20th, 2012, 10:39 pm

getreal wrote:
Alan H wrote:No, that was Christopher Walken in Weapon of Choice.

Ooops! Spelling and wrong actor.
Or, as someone in the comments said: Christopher Flyin.
Fantastic clip BTW. Don't think I've seen it in it's entierity before.
It's good, isn't it?
Alan Henness

stevenw888

#211 Post by stevenw888 » March 21st, 2012, 4:49 pm

Went to see "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" last night with my wife. Great film, can't recommend it enough. Judie Dench and Celia Imria are especially good, as is the Indian lad (ex of Slumdog Millionaire). A great night out at the cinema - must do that more often - it's half price on a Tuesday! The pair of us got in for less than £8.00. Bargain!
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Dave B

#212 Post by Dave B » March 21st, 2012, 5:18 pm

Marian wrote:And besides, Dave, shouldn't Eli have sacrificed himself as in WWJD? :)
If I knew what WWJD (and have watched it, if that is the appropriate thing to do with a WWJD) was I might be able to answer that! :D
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Nick

#213 Post by Nick » March 21st, 2012, 8:21 pm

Oh, Dave! Clearly, you are destined for Hell! WWJD is the acronym for "What Would Jesus Do?"

Most of the time, I think the answer would be "Exclaim WTF...?!"

In passing, I, also, have had good reports of Marigold Hotel. Can't remember the last time I went to the flicks....

Dave B

#214 Post by Dave B » March 21st, 2012, 8:44 pm

:laughter:
Me, 2015

Alan H

#215 Post by Alan H » April 18th, 2012, 9:43 pm

I'll shoehorn this in here...

From 1954, This is your life: Laurel and Hardy

Only slightly spoiled by the lack of attention to detail about where Stan Laurel was born - they put Ulverston somewhere near Castle Douglas in Scotland! Scotland isn't even mentioned on the map.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#216 Post by Alan H » April 18th, 2012, 10:10 pm

And completely spoiled by the last few minutes where the presenter hands out gifts from the sponsors...At least there's none of that on the BBC. Oh.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#217 Post by Alan C. » April 18th, 2012, 11:18 pm

Alan H wrote:I'll shoehorn this in here...

From 1954, This is your life: Laurel and Hardy

Only slightly spoiled by the lack of attention to detail about where Stan Laurel was born - they put Ulverston somewhere near Castle Douglas in Scotland! Scotland isn't even mentioned on the map.
Ulverston was in Lancashire in 1954 when that was filmed, then it became part of Furness (can't remember when) But is now part of Cumbria.

We've been in the house (museumy thing) where Stan was born.

Ulverston, as you say Alan was never in Dumfries and Galloway. :)
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Compassionist

#218 Post by Compassionist » May 28th, 2012, 5:18 pm

Has anyone here watched Salvation Boulevard? If not, I recommend it. If you have watched it, I would like to discuss it. Thank you.

Compassionist

#219 Post by Compassionist » June 9th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Has anyone here watched 'Prometheus'? I watched it in 3D on Tuesday. It's a prequel to the 'Alien' series of movies. Unexpectedly, it brought in Christianity as the faith of the central character, an archeologist, Dr Shaw. The movie showed that aliens created humans on Earth. This doesn't gel with Christianity at all. Did anyone else think it was strange?

getreal

#220 Post by getreal » June 10th, 2012, 4:33 pm

I went to see it last night, Comp. The garphics were amazing. The 3D unnecessary (it just detracted from the stunning camera work). The plot was rubbish. It was totally disjointed with caracters behaving in a completely irrational manner. I mean, even Captain Kirk insists on doing a bit of recce before the crew decide to go on to the surface of a hostile planet. And why did some of the crew act like screaming schoolgirls?? Surely, if you have signed up for a journey like this, you will know that there will be abit of the unexpected, expected? The caracters were totally one dimentional, too. The android was the only believeable caracter ( yes, I am aware that sounds wierd, but unless you have seen it...).

All in all, appart from the awesome opening scene, a big disappointment. It didn't help that the cinema is a 35 mile round trip and it the ticket cost for 2 of us was £23.

Dave B

#221 Post by Dave B » June 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm

The garphics were amazing.
Really, getreal - and how were the graphics? :D

[I should not criticise, my fingers seem to have a life of their own these days, often hitting the key next to or above the one I want - good thing I have the spell checker enabled in Firefox . . .]
Me, 2015