INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Philosophical discussions elsewhere

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
thundril

Philosophical discussions elsewhere

#1 Post by thundril » October 26th, 2011, 9:44 am

After grumbling to Animist about the general crapness of the discussions on the Philosophy Now forum, today there are two new topics opened on articles in PN magazine.'How can we know anything at all?' and 'Moral Relativism and Cultural Chauvinism' Anyone up for a go at injecting new blood into a moribund site?
Editted to add: I've extended the same invitation to the Theologicans; so we might get to engage some of them on more neutral ground, where we can be a bit less 'irenic'. Could be fun!

keithprosser2

Re: Philosophical discussions elsewhere

#2 Post by keithprosser2 » October 26th, 2011, 1:30 pm

I have added 'Irenic' to my vocabulary. I initially thought it might mean 'like Irene', but on checking it out its actual definition it is nothing like the Irene I knew.
Sure I'll pop along to PN.

thundril

#3 Post by thundril » October 26th, 2011, 1:56 pm

So close in form to 'Ironic', so far away in sense!
By the way I've just posted the following message on the Theologica site
Try here and here. Even without being able to access the whole articles, I thought the opening of these threads on two very fundamental questions might be an opportunity for some of us, from a Theological and a Humanist website, to meet on neutral ground for an open discussion. Any takers?

stevenw888

#4 Post by stevenw888 » October 26th, 2011, 5:46 pm

I'm intrigued.
Neutral ground
Open discussion
Are there fundamental differences between Humanists and Philosophers? If so, what are they?
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

thundril

#5 Post by thundril » October 26th, 2011, 5:56 pm

stevenw888 wrote:I'm intrigued.
Neutral ground
Open discussion
Are there fundamental differences between Humanists and Philosophers? If so, what are they?
No, Steven. I was talking about Humanists and Theologists meeting on PN's site to debate. Recently I have been making a rather polite nuisance of myself on the Theologica forum; but their rules require an irenic tone. So, since new threads have been opened recently concerning two issues important to both Humanist and theist world views, (Knowledge/Faith and Sources of Morality) on the Philosophy Now forum, I wondered if some THers and some Theologicans might meet on neutral ground for a debate.
Could be rambunctious?

animist

#6 Post by animist » October 27th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I'm keen to get on the PN site, but seem to run into problems about user names. If/when I do get on, I may be Peter the Kermit or Petrus Animisticus (wish I'd used one or other on Theologica!)

animist

#7 Post by animist » October 30th, 2011, 6:23 pm

stevenw888 wrote:I'm intrigued.
Neutral ground
Open discussion
the obvious one is that humanism is itself a philosophy. Philosophers are just people who like to ramble on about whatever takes their fancy, and their orientation may be religious, atheistic, solipsistic, deterministic, or any other istic