View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 No homeopathy on the NHS petition 
Site Admin

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/2159

August 14th, 2011, 11:03 pm
Profile WWW

done and shared :)

August 14th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Don't quite see this one... OK Homeopathy is twaddle.. but NHS homeopathy is not likely to be the dagerous twaddle, is it?
Plenty of medical practice relies to some extent on the placebo effect... So if t works and it's cheap, why waste a whole petition on opposing it? Why not petition against the over-prescribing of psycho-twaddle medicines from big pharma that are immensely expensive, hugely addictive, and spreading much faster than the hippy-woo stuff.

August 14th, 2011, 11:42 pm

thundril wrote:
Why not petition against the over-prescribing of psycho-twaddle medicines from big pharma that are immensely expensive, hugely addictive, and spreading much faster than the hippy-woo stuff.

it ain't one or t'other: if you want to start a petition against that, then do so; it can run alongside the homoeopathy one.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

August 15th, 2011, 9:35 am
Profile WWW

Signed

August 15th, 2011, 9:47 am
Profile WWW

Signed.

August 15th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Site Admin

thundril wrote:
Don't quite see this one... OK Homeopathy is twaddle.. but NHS homeopathy is not likely to be the dagerous twaddle, is it?
Plenty of medical practice relies to some extent on the placebo effect... So if t works and it's cheap, why waste a whole petition on opposing it?

My objections to the funding of homeopathy on the NHS are:

(1) It is using up precious funds that should be spent on better things. I am haunted by the spectre of my dying mother being ejected from an NHS hospital because they were short of beds and staff. Michael Baum, oncologist, successfully campaigned for the closure of Tunbridge Wells homeopathic hospital when West Kent pct couldn't find the funds for life-saving medication. £4 million a year buys a lot of tamoxifen. Homeopathy is actually extremely expensive given that the remedies are just sugar pills.
(2) It is a dangerous* cult therapy that dates from a pre-science era. NHS funding gives it a credibility it doesn't merit.

*By dangerous, I mean that needless tragedies have happened because people have put their faith in it. I invite anyone who needs convincing to watch this recent Australian documentary on Penelope Dingle, who died a slow agonising and wholly unnecessary death because she decided to put all her faith in homeopathy to cure her cancer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdLOBRUwq10

Medical practice does indeed rely to some extent on the placebo effect but there is no need to use homeopathy as a placebo. Any old sugar pill presented as an analgesic or whatever will do. Why introduce the extra layer of deception with the old 'like cures like' and the 'less is more' codswallop?

Quote:
Why not petition against the over-prescribing of psycho-twaddle medicines from big pharma that are immensely expensive, hugely addictive, and spreading much faster than the hippy-woo stuff.

As Tet says, it's not either/or. I personally don't know what meds you are referring to or whether they are being over-prescribed. It's not a subject I feel qualified to comment on.

Providing sugar pills in a publicly funded health service and pretending they work by sympathetic magic, on the other hand..... :wink:

August 16th, 2011, 1:46 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Providing sugar pills in a publicly funded health service and pretending they work by sympathetic magic, on the other hand..... :wink:
Care to add something like, ". . ., at a fantastically inflated price, . . ." in there Athena?

August 16th, 2011, 9:25 am
Profile WWW

Dave B wrote:
Quote:
Care to add something like, ". . ., at a fantastically inflated price, . . ." in there Athena?

Indeed -- typically around £1500/kg.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

August 16th, 2011, 12:23 pm
Profile WWW

signed

August 16th, 2011, 7:44 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Dave B wrote:
Quote:

Indeed -- typically around £1500/kg.
Hmmm... I worked it out for a comment on a blog post:

Quote:
Each sugar pill is 0.14 g and around £5 per pack of 84, making this £425 per kilo! Granulated sugar from your local supermarket costs around £1.00 per kilo – an astonishing markup!

Whichever is right, it's still bloody expensive!

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

August 16th, 2011, 10:56 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Yes, a good way of putting the argument! I do frequent H&B because I’m a vegetarian and they have some convenient stuff, but I am dismayed by more than half the shop given over to supplements, homeopathy and other unnecessary nonsense.
Our local Lloyds pharmacist does not stock homoeopathic stuff any more but they do carry Bach "remedies" which gets up my nose. Company policy, local manager has no say.

August 17th, 2011, 9:11 am
Profile WWW

A subject very close to my heart. Duly signed.

August 23rd, 2011, 10:12 pm
Site Admin

Posting this in here as well. They're winning.

Athena wrote:

August 30th, 2011, 7:12 pm
Profile WWW

But the gap has closed since last I looked - I suppose I should not be surprised there are than many non-critical dimbos around when I consider the most popular TV programs and films . . . At least my fantasy world stays within the covers of books when I put them down.

August 30th, 2011, 7:27 pm
Profile WWW

I've voted no, (of course,) even at the risk of being taken to be a Grauniad reader....

Alarmingly, the noes are losing... :sad2:

What does that say about Grauniad readers?

Semi-detached from reality, perhaps?

At least that would explain their economic commentary.... :wink:

August 30th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Nick wrote:
Alarmingly, the noes are losing... :sad2:

Really? On the two occasions that I looked (yesterday when I voted and just a moment ago), they were winning -- but the gap has narrowed considerably to 35.4/64.6 (Y/N) since yesterday when it was, IIRC, around the 20/80 mark.

If the Y camp was winning yesterday evening, it suggests a fairly small number of voters if there are such huge swings

August 31st, 2011, 11:18 am
Profile WWW

Noes still on top by about 2:1

August 31st, 2011, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW

No's still on top - 70% versus 30% and the poll has just one day to go. C'mon No's!

August 31st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Profile WWW

GO NOES!!

August 31st, 2011, 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next