INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Pub throws out gay couple for kissing

For news of events, petitions and campaigns that may be of interest to humanists and secularists.
Alan H

Pub throws out gay couple for kissing

#1 Post by Alan H » April 15th, 2011, 12:25 am

Probably too late and too far away for many but this is happening tomorrow evening:

GAY KISS-IN
The John Snow pub in Soho kicked out a gay couple for kissing late last night.

Tomorrow, we're responding with a MASSIVE SAME-SEX SNOGATHON.

Tomorrow, from 7 until 10: DON'T BUY ANYTHING.
Tomorrow, from 7 until 10: FOR THREE HOURS, DON'T TALK, JUST KISS.

and INVITE ALL YOUR FRIENDS
News reports:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ap ... ub-kissing
http://sosogay.org/2011/gay-couple-kick ... r-kissing/
http://londonist.com/2011/04/gay-couple ... issing.php
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

jaywhat

Re: Pub throws out gay couple for kissing

#2 Post by jaywhat » April 15th, 2011, 7:03 am

Wondered why a pub was so called and found that it is named after Dr. John Snow, a pioneer English epidemiologist (1813-1858). A plaque outside the pub reads, "This red granite kerbstone marks the site of the historic Broad Street Pump associated with Dr. John Snow's discovery in 1854 that cholera is conveyed by water."

http://www.sph.umich.edu/epid/GSS/pub.html

...but I think kissing is safe enough :laughter:

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » April 15th, 2011, 10:26 am

I find myself ambivalent in this situation, partly from not being sure what the true story is, how the two men actually did behave. I have no problem with a same sex couples having a quick hug or peck in public but do feel rather put off by actual snogging. Come to think of it even heavy hetero-snogging in public puts me off as well.

The rules of pubs used to be that the landlord had the right to exclude anyone that disturbed other customers or the peace of the house. A "public house" has a definition that dates from the days when they were actually private houses that had a drinking room with public access. The house owner had the right to control that access, as he or she would in a normal house. This carried on to the landlord, whether they lived on the premises or not. Not sure about managed houses.

Is that a fair right for the landlord to retain? If he or she has the impression that any customer is disturbing the others should they have the right to exclude that customer? Those other customers have the right to drink in an environment of their choosing (providing that does not break the above rule!) after all.

Who's right is the right right?

And thanks for the info on John Snow, jaywhat, I knew the name rang a bell somewhere.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

animist

#4 Post by animist » April 15th, 2011, 10:29 am

jaywhat wrote:Wondered why a pub was so called and found that it is named after Dr. John Snow, a pioneer English epidemiologist (1813-1858). A plaque outside the pub reads, "This red granite kerbstone marks the site of the historic Broad Street Pump associated with Dr. John Snow's discovery in 1854 that cholera is conveyed by water."

http://www.sph.umich.edu/epid/GSS/pub.html

...but I think kissing is safe enough :laughter:
this reminds me of the sign proudly hanging in a pub: "All the water in this establishment has been passed by the landlord"

Nick

#5 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2011, 11:39 am

I'm with Dave on this one. We don't really know what happened, do we? There are some pubs in London which are gay orientated in which I would not be comfortable. Not because I disapprove, or worse, am fearful of anything, but it is just not my scene.

In the pubs I go to, the landlords have, from time to time, approached patrons asking them to shut up because they are spoiling the music for others. Not talking in the pub?! Whatever next? (On one occasion, the landlord suggested a patron should leave, for asking for a pint of Stella. Quite right too! :laughter: )

I am a little concerned that things may not turn out as intended. If I were the landlord, I might have an event "For One Night Only- Poof-Petting Paradise!" But what happens if the pub is crowded with gays who refuse to buy anything and just snog? I don't think anyone would come out well from that situation.

Maybe they should have that sign they have in swimming baths: "No Running, No Pushing, No Petting, No Shouting, No Splashing" That should cover it. :wink:

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » April 15th, 2011, 1:58 pm

Since they have advertised the date and time of the gay snog-in, and assuming that was not a blind and another night will be picked, betcha the landlord finds has something like a "No snogging for anyone" rule posted prominently, employing bouncers to enforce it!

In this case, if the affection went beyond a quick peck I am on the landlord's side I think. Not agin gays, I know some, but displays of strong affection in public, by anyone, are not really pleasant.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#7 Post by jaywhat » April 15th, 2011, 4:05 pm

lot of fuss about what

Fia

#8 Post by Fia » April 15th, 2011, 5:00 pm

I agree with jaywhat, fuss about nowt.
Dave B wrote:displays of strong affection in public, by anyone, are not really pleasant.
Personally, I'd far rather have public displays of strong affection than arguing, fighting, and certainly the Neanderthal behaviour some men exhibit when there's some bloomin sport on some bloomin ginormous screen in a bar :sick:

Alan H

#9 Post by Alan H » April 15th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Fia wrote:I agree with jaywhat, fuss about nowt.
Dave B wrote:displays of strong affection in public, by anyone, are not really pleasant.
Personally, I'd far rather have public displays of strong affection than arguing, fighting, and certainly the Neanderthal behaviour some men exhibit when there's some bloomin sport on some bloomin ginormous screen in a bar :sick:
Quite.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » April 15th, 2011, 5:26 pm

I also have to agree with you there, Fia! Seeing any sign on a pub that has any indication sport was on view is a turn off for me. OK, given heavy snogging or a mass of sweaty sports fans the snoggers win! But given a choice I would rather have neither.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#11 Post by Tetenterre » April 15th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Fia wrote: and certainly the Neanderthal behaviour
[-X

Whilst I accept that this is a Humanist site, I really don't think you should be stereotyping Neanderthals, especially after the way they met their demise!

:D
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Nick

#12 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Dave B wrote:....employing bouncers to enforce it!
In nearby Rochester, which, by day, is a living tribute to Charles Dickens, (all the establishments are named after Dickens characters. Even the curry house, which is called A Taste of Two Cities..) every pub has a couple of bouncers outside. The genteel, antique buying, book-loving day-shoppers give way to Chav Central. And the next-door town of Chatham is also know locally as Chavham-it's even worse! I wonder how a couple of canoodling gays would get on around here....? We have a way to go in bringing sophistication to the Medway towns....

Dave B

#13 Post by Dave B » April 15th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Isn't Chatham full of matelots any more? Have to admit the last time I was there was about 1952 and my sister's BF was a sailor on a sub at the Open Day. Probably a few Hairy Marys around in those days!
Me, 2015

Fia

#14 Post by Fia » April 15th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Tetenterre wrote: Whilst I accept that this is a Humanist site, I really don't think you should be stereotyping Neanderthals, especially after the way they met their demise!

:D
Athough it's a way some Neanderthals may have met their deaths, I apologise Tetenterre for using improper shorthand, and will endeavour to not use genome (?) sub-species (goodness that sounds even worse) stereotyping. Interestingly, a link on from that suggested many Europeans have around 3% of Neanderthal genes. So some pleasures may have been mutual :wink:

What should we use for shorthand instead of Neanderthal then? Essex men? :exit:

Nick

#15 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2011, 9:44 pm

Scottish...? :exit:

thundril

#16 Post by thundril » April 15th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Yep! Totally.

getreal

#17 Post by getreal » April 15th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Nick wrote:Scottish...? :exit:
Wasn't it suggested that may be where the red hair gene comes from?

Though I may be confusing that with something else.
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Nick

#18 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Yeah, probably, getreal. I think it's their hairy palms.... :exit:

Nick

#19 Post by Nick » April 15th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Dave B wrote:Isn't Chatham full of matelots any more? Have to admit the last time I was there was about 1952 and my sister's BF was a sailor on a sub at the Open Day. Probably a few Hairy Marys around in those days!
Sadly not, if one has a desire to be amongst matelots. The dockyards closed as a working naval base over a decade ago, causing over 10,000 redundancies in the town. The impressive dockyards are still there as a museum though, and well worth a visit. Let me know if you're interested. I say that because, if you haven't been since 1952, you'll excuse me if I don't wait up for you.... :wink:

jaywhat

#20 Post by jaywhat » April 16th, 2011, 7:26 am

Yes. I like Neanderthals especially as we do have some DNA connection.
I agree with Fia that finding a word for violent slobs and pissheads is difficult. Perhaps we should call them just that.