INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Serious atheist survey

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

Serious atheist survey

#1 Post by Maria Mac » December 20th, 2012, 10:20 am

There are about 45 questions with multi choice answers and option to elaborate. On the whole it felt very American but they do want atheists from around the world to participate. I found the first few questions the hardest because they seemed simplistic but on the whole it was a painless task and took about twenty minutes including thinking time.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... um=twitter

Dave B

Re: Serious atheist survey

#2 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2012, 10:45 am

Completed.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#3 Post by Tetenterre » December 20th, 2012, 11:32 am

Quite a few "begging the question" questions (e.g. most of the 3rd section). Didn't answer those and said why in the reply space for one of them.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

stevenw888

#4 Post by stevenw888 » December 20th, 2012, 11:33 am

Also completed.

Sorry to grab Athena's thread but if you get chance could you also go to this website http://www.atheistcensus.com/ and register your atheism? It isn't a survey, it's just a worldwide poll, but the poll results (which you get to see when you've finished) are very interesting - especially the age one. Far more young people than old embrace atheism - which is a very good sign for the future.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Quite a few "begging the question" questions (e.g. most of the 3rd section). Didn't answer those and said why in the reply space for one of them.
Although I answered them I agree with you, Steve. I am rarely happy with the design of surveys and this one was no exception. There seemed to be more questions there that could better have been answered in marks out of ten or needed a larger selection of answers.

But then, one does know what is in the mind of the designer.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#6 Post by Tetenterre » December 20th, 2012, 12:12 pm

stevenw888 wrote: but the poll results (which you get to see when you've finished) are very interesting - especially the age one. Far more young people than old embrace atheism -
I don't see how you can draw that conclusion. It may reflect, for example, that fewer people of my age use t'internet.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Sel

#7 Post by Sel » December 20th, 2012, 12:40 pm

answered
Sorry to grab Athena's thread but if you get chance could you also go to this website http://www.atheistcensus.com/ and register your atheism?
Did that a couple of days ago
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Yes, there is no "fractional" results there, how many in which age bracket responded in total? It will possibly look little different from the published results but would give me more confidence in them.

As the statistician said, "I know how the data reads, what do you want it to say?"
Me, 2015

Lifelinking

#9 Post by Lifelinking » December 21st, 2012, 12:10 pm

I couldn't get through it, seriously.
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Nick

#10 Post by Nick » December 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Done.

stevenw888

#11 Post by stevenw888 » April 13th, 2015, 10:29 am

Survey published in The Guardian today.
Sixth - there's hope for the UK yet!
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... are_btn_gp
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"