INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

What is New Humanism

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Randy

What is New Humanism

#1 Post by Randy » August 16th, 2012, 9:29 pm

I would like to ask what is New Humanism? I have heard about but my research hasn't found any definitions or descriptions. Also is it different and if so how to Humanism?

Dave B

Re: What is New Humanism

#2 Post by Dave B » August 16th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Welcome to our forum, Randy.

Good questions - I don't know either, it's a new one on me but I am sure someone(s) here will find out.

Later: with a very quick Google it does not look much different from "old" Humanism - same issues but perhaps deeper reading may find differences in approach. Though I would have thought just about every approach that can still be called "Humanism" has been tried by now.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan C.

#3 Post by Alan C. » August 16th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I would like to ask what is New Humanism?
Dunno, never heard of it :shrug:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy » August 16th, 2012, 10:10 pm

I've found it also goes under the name universal humanism if that helps

Alan C.

#5 Post by Alan C. » August 16th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Randy wrote:I've found it also goes under the name universal humanism if that helps
Nope!
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Ken H

#6 Post by Ken H » August 16th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Perhaps the name applies to contemporary Humanism differentiated from Renaissance Humanism?

The Catholic Encyclopedia only describes the Humanism movement of the 14th to 16th centuries and ignores the modern Humanist.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07538b.htm
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » August 17th, 2012, 12:02 am

Randy wrote:I would like to ask what is New Humanism? I have heard about but my research hasn't found any definitions or descriptions. Also is it different and if so how to Humanism?
Hi Randy.

Where did you come across 'New Humanism'?
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

animist

#8 Post by animist » August 17th, 2012, 7:45 am

Ken H wrote:Perhaps the name applies to contemporary Humanism differentiated from Renaissance Humanism?

The Catholic Encyclopedia only describes the Humanism movement of the 14th to 16th centuries and ignores the modern Humanist.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07538b.htm
yes, I had discovered this - in fact the Encyclopedia is a century old, so probably predates the humanist movement in the modern meaning of the word, which is quite recent:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » August 17th, 2012, 9:25 am

Apart from various people adopting the word "New" to attract attention there certainly does not seem to be any radically new philosophy.

Perhaps "The New Humanism" publication has some excuse since it advocates things like Humanist "chaplaincy", something which more "traditional" humanists seem uncomfortable with.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#10 Post by Dave B » August 17th, 2012, 10:10 am

Randy, from your posts you have evidently seen some sort of reference to these supposed new brands of humanism - can you give us any links or citations to those sources please?
Me, 2015