INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Mayor of Bridport

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Nick

The Mayor of Bridport

#1 Post by Nick » December 8th, 2011, 3:01 pm

The Mayor of Bridport, Dave Rickard, is one half (the guitar-playing, string, half) of String Whistle, who played a very nice set at my local watering hole The Man of Kent Ale House. On several numbers, they were augmented by Dave's wife (Mayoress of Bridport) who provided some really nice harmonies. You shouldn't really stereotype anyone, but you don't generally expect a mayor and mayoress to be gigging on the side! And he doesn't come across as the sort of guy who would want to climb greasy poles- too nice for that!

Anyway, the point is, that Dave Rickard was recently in the news for banning prayers from Council meetings. :D Caused a bit of rumpus! Well done Dave!

Further details here.

thundril

Re: The Mayor of Bridport

#2 Post by thundril » December 8th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Fair play to him!
I lived in Bridport for a while. Didn't strike me a a hub of political radicalism, but there y'go!

jaywhat

#3 Post by jaywhat » December 10th, 2011, 7:34 am

Sounds like the sort of guy who would strike a chord with humanists.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » December 10th, 2011, 10:38 am

jaywhat wrote:Sounds like the sort of guy who would strike a chord with humanists.
Yup:
Twanggggg.Image
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

stevenw888

#5 Post by stevenw888 » December 12th, 2011, 11:44 am

I loved the comments following the article that Nick linked to. One of them summed up my thoughts...
I was very surprised and disturbed to learn that prayers (or other religious practices) are carried out during town council meetings. What has religion got to do with (local) politics? I call for a distinct separation of the two. Has a thought been given to non Christians in the community?
I am also surprised to hear that prayers are carried out at town council meetings. Does this happen in other parts of Britain? If prayers are read out in local town councils, does the same thing happen in courts of law, and other publicly funded places? I will be writing to my own local council to ask if this occurs here in Birmingham.
"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"