INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

MUSIC

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
DavidF

MUSIC

#1 Post by DavidF » February 7th, 2011, 2:42 pm

Hello I have just joined so please forgive me if these two question have already been covered:-

I note in a number of posts a recognition of the positive value of music in our lives. Religion has inspired lots of great music:-

1. Can anyone point me towards any music that has been inspired by Humanism

or

2. Can anyone recommend any music that would help me in my journey into Humanism.

Thanks and regards to all

DavidF

Sel

Re: MUSIC

#2 Post by Sel » February 7th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Hi David
Without trying to sound too simplistic, I would have to say that any music that makes you feel at peace with the world or that has lyrics supporting the value and strength of human beings and their relationships to each other and the world in general would help set your Humanist experience.

John Lennon's Imagine is a great example. If you Google Humanist music or Atheist Music you shouldy find lots more. The latter however will inlude a lot of God-bashing stuff. Not entirely uplifting!

Good luck on your quest.
"The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge." Bertrand Russell

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » February 7th, 2011, 3:26 pm

DavidF wrote:I note in a number of posts a recognition of the positive value of music in our lives. Religion has inspired lots of great music:-
I think it might be more difficult to separate out music inspired from religion from music written for the church, whilst in the pay of the church...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

DavidF

#4 Post by DavidF » February 7th, 2011, 8:14 pm

Thank you Sel for your post and lead - a quick 'Google' reveals some results that look useful.

Alan H - thank you also for your thoughts.

Regards

DavidF