INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Doctors and their beliefs.

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
jaywhat

Doctors and their beliefs.

#1 Post by jaywhat » August 31st, 2010, 6:11 am

from BHA newsletter about the attitude of doctors depending on beliefs -
http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2010/0 ... 4.abstract

Quashing the atheist bogeyman

New research has shown that the beliefs of doctors significantly influence their actions in end of life care. Religious doctors are less likely to talk to their patients about their options concerning pain and death, and less likely to take courses of action intended to relieve suffering but which may not prolong life.
However, as this story broke, some newspaper headlines were quick to pin down a bogeyman. "Atheist doctors 'more likely to hasten death'" is how one early headline captured the story.
Whatever your views on palliative care and assisted dying it is clear that there was some scope for misreporting on this story; to paint non-religious doctors as too quick to end life. But as the research made clear the difference in behaviour by medical practitioners was as much about whether doctors were likely to consult and involve patients in these decisions as it was about the palliative actions that they were likely to take. In its comments, the BHA stressed the neutral, scientific angle of the research – that doctors' beliefs were found to be "relevant" to trends in practice – and went on to point out that many religious doctors were in effect putting their own beliefs before the autonomy and welfare of their patients. The Associated Press carried a version of our press release, and from there a potentially distorted story was reported with greater clarity.
As BHA Vice President Dr Evan Harris wrote in a later Guardian article, 'On the basis of what the study actually revealed, a more appropriate headline for the story would have been "Religious doctors less likely to ask your opinion on treatment option when you're terminally ill". What now needs to happen is an additional effort by the medical profession and their regulators to ensure that doctors adequately consult with patients about their wishes and views and do not allow, even subconsciously, their own religious – or political, for that matter – views to distort their medical practice.'

Dave B

Re: Doctors and their beliefs.

#2 Post by Dave B » August 31st, 2010, 2:27 pm

Reading the conclusions in the abstract seems to ask more questions than it answers.

Do these "non-religious" doctors offer continuous sedation to all old people in their final days or "as appropriate", feeling that the awareness of suffering, at the last moment, is not necessary. Do the "religious" doctors maybe feel that one should be aware of the moment of death, providing pain was managed?

Without qualification I would be suspicious of any broad description - but then the media like to grab the most controversial part and flag it at the top of the mast.

That's why I don't buy newspapers and listen and read all news with extreme scepticism.

In cultural terms I can, perhaps, understand certain ethnic groups tending towards the care of the elderly. On the few times that I have tripped (or fallen on ice) in public it has been either Chinese, Asians or central Europeans that have been first to offer help. I do think that this is cultural rather than religious.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#3 Post by jaywhat » August 31st, 2010, 5:48 pm

Dave B wrote: On the few times that I have tripped (or fallen on ice) in public it has been either Chinese, Asians or central Europeans that have been first to offer help. I do think that this is cultural rather than religious.
Surely it also depends where you are.

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » August 31st, 2010, 6:04 pm

jaywhat wrote:
Dave B wrote: On the few times that I have tripped (or fallen on ice) in public it has been either Chinese, Asians or central Europeans that have been first to offer help. I do think that this is cultural rather than religious.
Surely it also depends where you are.
Gloucester
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#5 Post by Dave B » September 1st, 2010, 10:26 am

Reinforcing what I said above: on Head to Head (Radio4) today they were talking about the American civil rights movements. On guest mentioned that difference between the Christian and Muslim takes - she said that the Muslims could not understand a deity that expected people to suffer now for a better afterlife (paraphrased).

This is what I was alluding to, the Christian doctor may have the idea of earthly suffering in his mind when he tries to maintain awareness until the last minute because it will cease when the patient is "taken to the bosom of Christ". The "atheist" doctor (rightly in my mind) may consider that the final days or hours of suffering are simply an unnecessary physical and mental burden that can be alleviated with heavy sedation.

As one who walks around with a potentially fatal heart condition (some describe life as such anyway!) and having suffered considerable physical and emotional/mental pain because of it - I will go for the latter option. I have no interest in lying in pain and being fully away of it, knowing that my hours (or even minutes) are numbered, pass me the zonk juice!
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#6 Post by jaywhat » September 1st, 2010, 11:30 am

I know it's Gloucester, Dave. I should have written 'it depends where one is'. You are not so likely to be helped by a Chinese and Asian or a central European if you live in, say, Timbuctoo or number 10 Downing Street - or Tierra del Fuego. OK - I am talking bollocks and I will now stop..............