INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Atheist Bus Campaign - is it a good use of money?

Any topics that are primarily about humanism or other non-religious life stances fit in here.
Nick

Re: The Atheist Bus Campaign - is it a good use of money?

#201 Post by Nick » February 18th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

How about a slogan for our arty-farty grauniad readers.....

Lifelinking

#202 Post by Lifelinking » February 18th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Are Gairduan readers arty farty then?
"Who thinks the law has anything to do with justice? It's what we have because we can't have justice."
William McIlvanney

Alan C.

#203 Post by Alan C. » February 18th, 2009, 7:50 pm

Lifelinking wrote:Are Gairduan readers arty farty then?
Well I'm not! Although I don't read the paper as such, just the comment section, where I occasionally share my reasoned and well thought out veiws on the topics of the day. :innocence:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Alan C.

#204 Post by Alan C. » March 12th, 2009, 7:40 pm

The fourth most complained about ad since records began, (and the number is still rising) :laughter:
Christian party advert draws more than 1,000 complaints.

Edit.
Posted this literally one minute before seeing the media scan :innocence:

Alan H

#205 Post by Alan H » March 12th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Alan C. wrote:Posted this literally one minute before seeing the media scan :innocence:
I believe you!
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan C.

#206 Post by Alan C. » March 12th, 2009, 8:42 pm

Not that I think you're being sarcastic Alan, but check the post times :smile:
My post.
Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:40 pm

The media scan posted
Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:41 pm
Clocks don't lie :yahbooh:

Alan H

#207 Post by Alan H » March 12th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Hmmm...

I could try to flummox you with something about the time depending on your PC time (and yours could be a few minutes slow), but I suspect it's controlled by the server time and you are, therefore, correct!

:smile:
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#208 Post by Alan H » April 15th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Atheist Bus Campaign shortlisted for prestigious award:
The BHA has welcomed news that the Atheist Bus Campaign has been shortlisted for a prestigious Institute of Fundraising award. The campaign has been shortlisted in the category of ‘most innovative fundraising campaign’.

The awards are an annual event which bring together some of the most experienced and respected people in the fundraising field. The panel of judges includes the Chief Executive of the Institute of Fundraising and the Director of Fundraising for Comic Relief.

Hanne Stinson, BHA Chief Executive explained, ‘The Bus Campaign was nominated because it used a number of different online fundraising tools in such an innovative way – the Just Giving website had never seen donations come in so fast. The campaign’s amazing success has proved that there are thousands of people who felt that their voice has been ignored and has massively increased awareness of the BHA’s work. Being shortlisted for this award is a very welcome bonus.”

The winner will be announced on 6 July at a ceremony in central London.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#209 Post by Alan C. » April 15th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Brilliant!
the Just Giving website had never seen donations come in so fast.
I love it. :smile:

Gurdur

#210 Post by Gurdur » April 19th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Nick wrote:How about a slogan for our arty-farty grauniad readers.....

I found this very funny. But then, I am a loyal Guardianista. I even have an anorak somewhere or other,

Gurdur

#211 Post by Gurdur » April 19th, 2009, 1:11 pm

Lifelinking wrote:Are Gairduan readers arty farty then?

Not really, but I try to bluff at it.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#212 Post by Maria Mac » June 8th, 2009, 12:26 pm

The pic is too large to post but you can see it here: Next stop for the atheist bus: Chicago

'In the beginning: man created God'
The new slogan chosen for a Chicago was entirely paid for by a private donor to the organization. All other donations received up to this point have gone towards ads in South Bend with the original slogan “You can be good without God.”

Alan H

#213 Post by Alan H » June 22nd, 2009, 12:05 pm

Just got this from David Pollock, President of the European Humanist Federation:
Jussi Niemela of the Finnish Freethinkers group Vapaa-ajattelijain liitto ry (which became a member of the EHF at our GA earlier this month) tells me that they are running an "atheist bus" advertising campaign.

He wrote a week ago:

"According to a newspaper journalist Muslim bus drivers in Helsinki plan to sabotage or boycott the atheist bus campaign . . . They plan . . . to block out part of our campaign slogan "There's probably no God etc.", so that in Finnish it'll say "There's a God so stop worrying etc.". In the Finnish version this is easy by putting a white sticker on part of the text.

"This is probably the first case internationally where Muslims have reacted this way to the atheist bus campaign. Moreover, no longer the Muslims get insulted only from "defaming Islam" or Muhammad - now they seem to get insulted by a god-neutral campaign slogan.

"I told the reporter that if I were the executive director of the Helsinki public transportation council, I would offer Muslim bus drivers a chance to drive buses that are halal, since we the Finnish Freethinkers & Humanists think it's very important to respect the liberty of conscience of all. I added that I hope the Muslim bus drivers would understand that they have to respect our liberty of conscience and freedom of speech too and not to vandalise our campaign - we pay for it, and if they wish, they can pay for their own campaign we wouldn't sabotage under any circumstances."

The campaign has attracted much publicity and television coverage even before the official launch at the bus station today.

Jussi wrote to me on Friday:-

The official launch is on Monday, then we shoot videos with the buses. They put the stickers on the buses on Sunday. We're also making a 20 minute special report for the National Broadcasting Company of Finland. I think it's out on Friday. I'll keep you updated, these clips are teasers for the campaign. The Muslim driver boycott plans are something never experienced before. I've heard rumours about stoning the buses and such. This would make the company pull our ads. Let's see how it turns out, on Monday we'll start rockin!

Today he writes:-

Yesterday we were on the National Broadcasting Company News, I was interviewed. In three hours I'll be on the morning TV debate with a Reverend from the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.

On YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/uskomatonbussit you'll find clips in Finnish, one labelled “Sticker Jijad?” is about the sabotage we noticed yesterday at the bus pit area. The guy who put the ads on the buses told that a couple of stickers had been torn off and on our clip you'll see one someone had tried to remove from the bus.

- David Pollock

President
Alan Henness

Alan H

#214 Post by Alan H » July 3rd, 2009, 12:22 pm

Atheist bus ads around the world.
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#215 Post by Alan C. » December 3rd, 2010, 1:58 pm

This has got to be the best bus ad so far :smile: And it's in Canada Marian.

Full story here.

Dave B

#216 Post by Dave B » December 3rd, 2010, 2:11 pm

I liked this response to the item, Alan:
michaelstack

11:00 PM on December 2, 2010

This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore michaelstack. Show DetailsHide Details

Good ad!

There is, within the human condtion, room for faith (optimism) and wonder (gratitude & humility), without resorting to superstition. Even Einstein, Sagan, Hawking acknowledge the possibility of something higher out there without any hyprocrisy...What they don't do is claim specific things exist for which there is no evidence or, more concerningly, clear evidence to the contrary. This demeans humanity.

Fact is though, that the major religions have stuck around more because of the socio-political influence they have over groups of people, and people's tendency to believe that they need to be quiet because everyone else in their peer group believes in something. Lemmings experience a similar phenomenon.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#217 Post by Marian » December 8th, 2010, 1:41 pm

Alan C. wrote:This has got to be the best bus ad so far :smile: And it's in Canada Marian.
Only in Canada, you say. Pity. Yep. Not just in Canada but in my very own city, Toronto. It's a TTC bus which stands for: Take the car or Toronto Transit Commission- take your pick :) Very proud of that ad!
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#218 Post by Alan H » October 8th, 2011, 11:42 pm

An utterly stupid xtian bus campaign:
Christians’ bus challenge to atheist

CHRISTIANS have taken their battle with prominent atheist Richard Dawkins on to the city’s buses.

In 2009, atheists in London paid for 200 adverts on the city’s buses, declaring: “There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.”

Now Premier Christian Radio has paid for its own version on Oxford buses, after the distinguished evolutionary biologist turned down the chance to debate with Christian philosopher William Lane Craig when he visits the city later in the month.

The new advert reads: “There’s probably no Dawkins. Now stop worrying and enjoy Oct 25th at the Sheldonian Theatre.”

Prof Lane Craig is touring the UK on his Reasonable Faith tour debating with other academic atheists in London, Cambridge, Birmingham and Manchester.

An open invitation has been sent to Prof Dawkins, formerly Oxford University’s Professor for the Public Understanding of Science, to debate the existence of God at the event.

In the past Prof Dawkins has said he will not debate with “people whose only claim to fame is that they are professional debators.”

The adverts will appear on 30 Stagecoach vehicles from Monday for two weeks.

Prof Craig said the poster campaign “leaves a shred of hope that he may turn up”.
Alan Henness

Skyfrog

#219 Post by Skyfrog » October 9th, 2011, 12:04 pm

I write as a Deist rather than an atheist, but I don't think the Atheist Bus Campaign was such a bad idea. It provoked debate, getting people to talk and think. Usually it is religious groups speaking in public about this kind of subject, so it was something different for atheists to be doing it. On the other hand, this kind of project is probably best as a "one-off". IMO, the group which ran this advert would do well to wait a few years or more before considering running it again.

Alan H

#220 Post by Alan H » October 9th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Skyfrog wrote:I write as a Deist rather than an atheist, but I don't think the Atheist Bus Campaign was such a bad idea. It provoked debate, getting people to talk and think. Usually it is religious groups speaking in public about this kind of subject, so it was something different for atheists to be doing it. On the other hand, this kind of project is probably best as a "one-off". IMO, the group which ran this advert would do well to wait a few years or more before considering running it again.
No doubt they will wait a while before repeating it.

I hope everyone noticed the article quoted the phrase "There’s probably no Dawkins", next to a picture of, emmm... Richard Dawkins. I see it as a very silly - if not stupid - attempt to goad Dawkins to debate or at least to try to publicly humiliate him for refusing to debate Craig (although I'm not 100% certain Dawkins has done any such thing, although if he has refused), then 1. he is perfectly entitled to do so, and 2. I don't blame him for not wanting to debate Craig (particularly if this is the level to which he is capable of stooping).
Alan Henness

Alan C.

#221 Post by Alan C. » October 9th, 2011, 4:59 pm

I'm pretty sure he said on his own forum that he wouldn't debate Craig as it would seem to give him (Craig) credibility.