View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 De-baptism 

How do you rate this move?
Overtly Confrontational 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Acceptable 47%  47%  [ 7 ]
Desirable 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Appreciated 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

De-baptism 

UAAR, the Italian Atheist Association, has named the day of 25 October as the “De-baptizing day”
Anyone wishing to part from religion will concurrently apply to their church asking to delete their name from the register. The move is aimed at rising awareness among people about the foible attitude of baptising just-born babies unable to express their wish and attitude.
Other reasons are attached to the inclusion of an individual in the “baptism registry” that rely on statistics; among these: economic support from the Italian State (mostly to the Catholic), levy exemption, support to faith schools, etc.

October 19th, 2008, 2:20 pm

I don't care enough about debaptism - it seems to be putting too much importance on a daft ritual. No doubt Jaywhat will tell you all about his struggle - again! :yawn:

October 19th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Quote:
peneasy
Anyone wishing to part from religion will concurrently apply to their church asking to delete their name from the register.
Sorry peneasy, many people have tried and failed already.
Quote:
Other reasons are attached to the inclusion of an individual in the “baptism registry” that rely on statistics; among these: economic support from the Italian State (mostly to the Catholic), levy exemption, support to faith schools, etc.
That's the reason the Churches won't remove names from the register.

October 19th, 2008, 4:33 pm

I think we have it easier in Britain as in many countries in Europe you are assumed to be part of the local church unless you deliberately opt out. If you live in German villages you are likely to pay a church tax unless you find out how to de-register. Encouraging people to de-register and giving them the means to do so is important in such communities. As regards a "ritual" de-baptism (what would you do, dunk yourself in water again??) - what nonsense - but it would be good PR.

October 19th, 2008, 8:54 pm

I'm saying nowt - but making a fuss is good.

October 20th, 2008, 10:44 am

Quote:
As regards a "ritual" de-baptism (what would you do, dunk yourself in water again??) - what nonsense - but it would be good PR.

tubataxdriver,
There will be no-ritual, the move consists in just sending applications to the Church altogether on the same day.
The Church is required to confirm that "the name was deleted from the register"

October 20th, 2008, 11:09 am
Site Admin

As this is a discussion rather than just an announcement, I'll move it.

October 20th, 2008, 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I sort of agree with everyone on this thread. I can see a reason to apply in order to make a point but I also don't think it's worth making a prolonged fuss about because it inevitably leads to frustration.

October 20th, 2008, 8:06 pm
Profile WWW

:clap: 25 October 2008 - de-baptism day:1032 individuals in Italy have sent their post-registered application on this day to impart the deletion of their name from the Christian Church's register.
A prelate in Rome commented "this is an act of satanism and UAAR should be banned by law".

p.s.:uaar is the Italian atheist association.

October 28th, 2008, 10:21 am

Fantastic! Did the RC idiot really say that?

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

October 28th, 2008, 10:48 am
Profile WWW

Yes Alan he did! It is proof of the Catholic fanaticism pervading this Church. On the other hand their anger is understandable, given the total grip they had on this Country until not long ago.
In many social events where bishops are present, aside from their pompous clothes, they tend to hold center stage ...and kiss on the hand is an appalling reality. :notworthy:
I was at a British Consulate gathering recently where an Anglican minister was present and I must say, however, that the picture was somewhat the same.
Can you imagine if the British bus campaign was held in Italy what the Church uttering would be! :sick:

October 28th, 2008, 12:17 pm

peneasy wrote:
Can you imagine if the British bus campaign was held in Italy what the Church uttering would be! :sick:
As I said elsewhere, just imagine what the reaction would be if it said 'There is probably no Allah...'! :shock:

October 28th, 2008, 1:00 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Alan H
As I said elsewhere, just imagine what the reaction would be if it said 'There is probably no Allah...'!
Quite a lot of folk are saying that, I keep pointing out to them that as the God in the ad is capitalized, it refers to the Abrahamic God whom the Muslims happen to call "Allah"
Having said that, you're right of course, it would have caused all kinds of trouble if they had used the word Allah.

October 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Let's come to a compromise: what about "a superior extraterrestrial entity"? :cross: :twisted:
...in this way anyone could think of "somebody else"

October 28th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Bumping this thread to highlight how one American chose to come out as an atheist: Atheists Choose 'De-Baptism' to Renounce Childhood Faith - News

July 21st, 2009, 11:16 am
Profile WWW

Maybe I might feel differently if I had suffered at the hands of religion, but I am inclined to agree that baptism is a matter of record, and cannot therefore be undone. It can, however, be renounced, and I have no problem if people want to do that. For most, I think it would be something to joke about: they could to hang their de-baptism certificate in the loo. For some, it may be necessary to receive an acknowledgment for the church that they have noted on the baptism record that they have left the church, but for me, I am more exercised by current census returns, and convincing people that they should not lend succour to superstition by ticking 'C of E' on forms when they do not believe.

July 21st, 2009, 6:38 pm

I was hoping to be able to use the line "you need to go to de church", but to no avail. Ho hum.

July 21st, 2009, 7:22 pm
Profile WWW

Lifelinking wrote:
I was hoping to be able to use the line "you need to go to de church", but to no avail. Ho hum.

I undertook "believers' baptism" when I was fourteen. I also, in a temporary fit of insanity (i.e. a strange "re-awakening of faith" ), got confirmed aged about 32.

I am now often in dispair despair when I think about religion.
[Edit: oh dearie me, my spelling angel has deserted me. My chakras must need rebalancing.]

July 21st, 2009, 8:25 pm

we all make mince steaks now and then

July 21st, 2009, 8:28 pm
Profile WWW

I'll just say "tartare for now"!

July 21st, 2009, 8:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next