INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Dave B

Re: Films

#221 Post by Dave B » June 10th, 2012, 5:09 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

The garphics were amazing.
Really, getreal - and how were the graphics? :D

[I should not criticise, my fingers seem to have a life of their own these days, often hitting the key next to or above the one I want - good thing I have the spell checker enabled in Firefox . . .]
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#222 Post by Compassionist » June 10th, 2012, 5:24 pm

getreal wrote:I went to see it last night, Comp. The garphics were amazing. The 3D unnecessary (it just detracted from the stunning camera work). The plot was rubbish. It was totally disjointed with caracters behaving in a completely irrational manner. I mean, even Captain Kirk insists on doing a bit of recce before the crew decide to go on to the surface of a hostile planet. And why did some of the crew act like screaming schoolgirls?? Surely, if you have signed up for a journey like this, you will know that there will be abit of the unexpected, expected? The caracters were totally one dimentional, too. The android was the only believeable caracter ( yes, I am aware that sounds wierd, but unless you have seen it...).

All in all, appart from the awesome opening scene, a big disappointment. It didn't help that the cinema is a 35 mile round trip and it the ticket cost for 2 of us was £23.
I agree that the plot was rubbish and the characters were irrational and absurd given the context. I found the injection of Christianity (e.g. "The year of our Lord..." by Dr Elizabeth Shaw and her crucifix and her preacher Dad who died from Ebola) into the plot most absurd given the revelation that aliens created humans. David the android was the only character who was interesting. David's owner said that David didn't have a soul. People and other living things don't have a soul either. The Soul Hypothesis has never been proven. I liked the special effects e.g. the space ships.

Dave B

#223 Post by Dave B » June 10th, 2012, 5:31 pm

I am wary about watching science-fiction/fantasy films these days, too many seem to be just an excuse for showing of the maker's skills with computer graphics. CG should enhance a good story that is well acted, not be the main star of the picture.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#224 Post by Compassionist » June 10th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Dave B wrote:I am wary about watching science-fiction/fantasy films these days, too many seem to be just an excuse for showing of the maker's skills with computer graphics. CG should enhance a good story that is well acted, not be the main star of the picture.
Sadly there have been some science fiction films which are CGI rich and plot poor e.g. 'Prometheus'. I was disappointed. I came up with a far better prequel to the 'Alien series' but didn't have the resources to turn it into a movie. :sad:

Dave B

#225 Post by Dave B » June 10th, 2012, 6:00 pm

I watched the final Harry Potter film on Friday. In that case the CGI was mostly appropriate to the story - even if the story was a bit predictable - so it can be done.

"Independence Day" was a bit on the edge - but it was mainly Messrs Smith and Goldblum that made the movie for me. But then, that is going back a few years and "Men in Black" was of a similar good balance about the same time.

Then I think about "2001 - A Space Odyssey", "Stars Wars" etc and I start getting quite nostalgic! :laughter:
Me, 2015

getreal

#226 Post by getreal » June 10th, 2012, 10:02 pm

The garphics were, indeed, wonderful, Dave. But, as I have said, the caracters were unbelievable. :wink:

I don't think the special effects are even called graphics now. How do you describe computer generated "illustrations"?

Why is "caracter" so difficult to spell?
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Alan H

#227 Post by Alan H » June 10th, 2012, 11:39 pm

getreal wrote:I don't think the special effects are even called graphics now. How do you describe computer generated "illustrations"?
Ermmm...the correct term is Computer-Generated Imagery/Images (CGI).
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

getreal

#228 Post by getreal » June 11th, 2012, 7:46 pm

Doh! Of course it is. Some of the stuff they produce is absolutly amazing. Where do they get the imagination? The scenes of the "forest" in Avatar were breathtaking. How can someone imagine stuff like that? I can't even imagine how a room will look after I paint it another shade of beige :laughter:
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#229 Post by Maria Mac » December 1st, 2012, 6:14 pm

A rare visit to the cinema this afternoon to see Silver Linings Playbook. Very believable - to me at least - portrayal of a man with bipolar disorder and still manages to be funny at times. Robert de Niro is great as a man with OCD. As it's a Hollywood film it of course has a happy, schmaltzy ending but don't let that put you off. Recommended. :)

Alan H

#230 Post by Alan H » December 1st, 2012, 6:37 pm

Ditto. It started out a bit black, but was very enjoyable.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

stevenw888

#231 Post by stevenw888 » January 16th, 2013, 2:55 pm

saw "Quartet" at the cinema last night (Half-price Tuesday, only £2.95 each!)
Great film - an especially moving part played by Pauline Collins.
This was the directorial debut of Dustin Hoffman - he is definitely an Anglophile as the film is so very, very English. Well done, Dustin! Lets have more like this!

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots." - From the film "Top Gun"

Nick

#232 Post by Nick » January 18th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Haven't been to the flicks for ages. May go and see Quartet. Seems interesting.

Maria Mac
Site Admin

#233 Post by Maria Mac » February 9th, 2013, 12:02 pm

We enjoyed seeing 'Lincoln' the other day. I've only recently become interested in that period of American History and discovered that the Radical Republicans were the heroes re the abolition of slavery and the Democrats were mostly the bad guys. Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln was fantastic, though I agree with this review that the man was portrayed as a bit too ethereal and saintly.