INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Films

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
Maria Mac
Site Admin

Re: Films

#161 Post by Maria Mac » January 23rd, 2011, 2:57 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Saw The King's Speech yesterday and highly recommend it. Great cast! I don't often cry at the movies but this one had me blubbing all the way through out of empathy for the future George VI cos of his impediment.

adrianbkelly

#162 Post by adrianbkelly » February 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm

Has anyone seen "Never Let Me Go"? I saw it yesterday and found it moving and thought provoking. It was beautiful to look at and superbly acted, although some people have complained about Carey Mulligan's "flatness". I thought her portrayal added to the subtly chilling atmosphere of the film. I have been thinking about the film several times since yesterday, which is always a sign of a good film!

I have also heard good things about the book and am looking forward to reading it soon.

Ade
A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. – Mark Twain

Dave B

#163 Post by Dave B » July 11th, 2011, 9:08 pm

I am about halfway through watching "Avatar" for the first time, it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. (There is a glitch on the disc about an hour in that causes problems.) Frankly I enjoyed watching "Star Wars" for the fourth time more!

Not sure what it is, probably my age, but the more technical and exotic science fiction films get the worse they seem to become in some way. "Robocop" and the "Terminator" series along with "Judge Dredd", "The Fifth Element" and a few others were better, at least they were tongue in cheek. Mostly the films now seem to be vehicles for clever CGI and badly rehashed plots - or am I just being grumpy?

Sure I have missed other good ones, but not in the last ten or fifteen years from memory.

It's a bit like the rules on the condition of sci-fi books in Oxfam shops. The rules are normally that you dump books with creased spines or torn, dog-eared covers - except sci-fi books, put them out regardless of condition. The sci-fi readers will buy them for the content and not worry what they look like.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#164 Post by Marian » July 13th, 2011, 12:49 pm

No, Dave, not just being grumpy at least not on my grump-o-meter scale. :) Perhaps, it's more nostalgia? ;) Everything looks better on someone else's plate...lol

I agree that it's all about CGI but even that could have a good story line if the producers wanted that. That's the point. Are they really interested in quality or making the bottom line? I'm not sure that the majority of watchers are all that interested in clever plots but maybe I'm just being grumpy now :)

It's all a matter of taste too. I'm quite picky about what sci-fi I read. Never could understand why everyone was so excited about Douglas Adams stuff but he was/is wildly popular. Just not my cup o tea. But if you give me a Legend of Drizzt series, you won't see me for the next 1/2 century. There's just no accounting for some people's taste :)
Transformative fire...

Marian

#165 Post by Marian » December 23rd, 2011, 1:22 am

Has anyone seen Liam Neeson's "Kingdom of Heaven"? Just my kind of actor and man. Loved the role he plays in this as well as the interaction between the actors. My, he does look good in that kilt! What did you think of this movie?
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#166 Post by Alan H » December 23rd, 2011, 10:29 am

Marian wrote:Has anyone seen Liam Neeson's "Kingdom of Heaven"? Just my kind of actor and man. Loved the role he plays in this as well as the interaction between the actors. My, he does look good in that kilt! What did you think of this movie?
Nope, not seen it. But a film with people in kilts sounds...dreadful! :D
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Marian

#167 Post by Marian » December 23rd, 2011, 12:23 pm

Alan H wrote:Nope, not seen it. But a film with people in kilts sounds...dreadful! :D
LOL! Yeah, just awful. As I went to bed last night, I realized, oh crap, I put the wrong film title. It was actually Rob Roy. Doh.
I believe it was all filmed in Scotland...which is a good thing since it was about the Scottish legend. :)
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#168 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2011, 12:33 pm

I enjoyed Rob Roy (ignoring any conflict between it and the real story) but never took much notice of the knees, not my thing y'know. :)

Used to have a little write-up about the connection between the kilt, the sporran and haggis hunting - must look in the archive. Hang-on, that might have been back in the dim and distant days of the Amstrad PCW.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Marian

#169 Post by Marian » December 23rd, 2011, 1:16 pm

Dave B wrote:I enjoyed Rob Roy (ignoring any conflict between it and the real story) but never took much notice of the knees, not my thing y'know. :)

Used to have a little write-up about the connection between the kilt, the sporran and haggis hunting - must look in the archive. Hang-on, that might have been back in the dim and distant days of the Amstrad PCW.
Considering I don't know the real story; this was just fine. The kilt is a very handy thing for all sorts of access and activities. I found the love scenes to be so much better than the Hollywood crap I'm used to. There was a natural flow and chemistry with Jessica Lange and Liam Neeson. I'm like, damn, move over Jessica!! LOL!

What is Amstrad PCW and what does it have to do with kilts and haggis etc?

I actually purchased an entire collection of Neeson films. That's how much i like him. Which one shall I watch today? Hmm?
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#170 Post by Dave B » December 23rd, 2011, 2:56 pm

:offtopic: The Amstrad PCW was a home computer that came out not long before the PC became of a price that ordinary people could afford. It was slow, had a "green screen" only, had some fairly good (for those days) software applications for text and graphics and one or two floppy disk drives - no hard drive. You had to load the application every time before starting work!!!

You could get plug in accessories, like mice. It came bundled with a little printer. Used to take about over an hour to print out the 38 pages of our village magazine!

It was s----l----o----w !

This was the machine I had when I wrote the kilt/sporran/haggis hunting thing - could not transfer files to the PC easily.
Me, 2015

Marian

#171 Post by Marian » December 29th, 2011, 7:15 pm

About to watch "Kingdom of Heaven". Got a few hours to myself (a rare treasure on this holiday). Making popcorn. Orville Redenbocker's extra buttery. Yummy. Yeah, Liam Neeson.
Transformative fire...

Marian

#172 Post by Marian » January 18th, 2012, 7:14 pm

Just finished watching Liam Neeson in "Taken". Freakin' awesome. Lots of action, revenge, and ultimate satisfaction. I'm lovin' it. Sometimes, I wish real life were like films. Neeson's character rocks!
Transformative fire...

Marian

#173 Post by Marian » February 3rd, 2012, 3:39 pm

Geez, I've been watching quite a few movies recently. I've become a serial poster in this thread :D

Last night I watched 'Triage' with Colin Farrell. He's not too hard on the eyes :) The movie was about why people chose to do what they do under extremely difficult circumstances. The war scenes are quite unpleasant but are not gratuitous. The scenes are suited to the message and the plight of the main character. Worth watching if you can handle the war stuff.
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#174 Post by Dave B » February 3rd, 2012, 8:13 pm

Just to lighten it a little . . .

Watched the movie of Terry Pratcetts "Hogfather" last night. Not sure if I really enjoyed it - having the "voice over" of the narration in the book, the descriptions and side stories with all TP's plays on words, gives the book a dimension that you can't get from the film.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#175 Post by Alan H » February 3rd, 2012, 11:42 pm

Watched The Big Country last weekend. That makes the second time in about six months!
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Ken H

#176 Post by Ken H » February 4th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Alan H wrote:Watched The Big Country last weekend. That makes the second time in about six months!
Got a hankerin' to go west, pardner?

I was just contemplating the movies I've watched the most times (at least three):

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Party
Psycho
Duck Soup
A Night at the Opera
Where Eagles Dare
The Great Gatsby (Redford ver.)
Spaceballs
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Maltese Falcon
Time of Your Life (Cagney)
Casablanca
Fantasia
Barefoot in the Park
Harvey
Goldfinger

That's all that I can think of at the moment, I'm sure there are more. A strange mix, eh? :smile:
This is one of the great social functions of science - to free people of superstition. - Steven Weinberg

Dave B

#177 Post by Dave B » February 4th, 2012, 5:31 pm

Not much of a film buff, until I really think about it.

Life of Brian
Seven Samurai
Dune (David Lean ver.)
Lawrence of Arabia
Zulu
Things to come (first real sci-fi movie)
The Fifth Element
Henry V (Brannagh)
Merchant of Venice (Pacino)
The whole Star Wars saga
Me, 2015

Compassionist

#178 Post by Compassionist » February 10th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Has anyone seen the 3D Star Wars Episode 1 which is out today? Is it worth paying again to see it in 3D?

Marian

#179 Post by Marian » February 10th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Compassionist wrote:Has anyone seen the 3D Star Wars Episode 1 which is out today? Is it worth paying again to see it in 3D?
Well, yeah!!! It's got Liam Neeson in it; any movie with him in it is worth paying full price.
Transformative fire...

Dave B

#180 Post by Dave B » February 10th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Marian wrote:
Compassionist wrote:Has anyone seen the 3D Star Wars Episode 1 which is out today? Is it worth paying again to see it in 3D?
Well, yeah!!! It's got Liam Neeson in it; any movie with him in it is worth paying full price.
OMG! Marian has a really bad case of fan-crush I fear.

:D
Me, 2015

Alan H

#181 Post by Alan H » February 10th, 2012, 11:23 pm

Dave B wrote:OMG! Marian has a really bad case of fan-crush I fear.
Good grief. Where have you been? :laughter:
Alan Henness