INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Book of The New Sun

Enter here to talk about books, art, literature, film, TV and anything else to do with popular culture.
The Conciliator

The Book of The New Sun

#1 Post by The Conciliator » November 17th, 2016, 3:57 am

I know that a majority of the users on this site hail from Britain, but I was wondering if any of you have heard of the science fiction masterpiece, The Book of the New Sun, by Gene Wolfe. It is by far the most complex and beautifully written science fiction book I have read, even surpassing Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos in my opinion (Though I agree with Dan's philosophy more). If anyone has read it, I would love to discuss it. I actually still have to read the fourth part, but I am still curious as to what anyone's thoughts on this marvelous book are.

animist

Re: The Book of The New Sun

#2 Post by animist » November 17th, 2016, 11:08 am

thanks for this, I will look out for it. Britain has many SF fans in fact, including our own Dave B! I had heard of Gene Wolfe and must get back into this genre. Have you read the Helliconia trilogy by Brian Aldiss? My own favourite

The Conciliator

#3 Post by The Conciliator » November 18th, 2016, 12:48 am

animist wrote:thanks for this, I will look out for it. Britain has many SF fans in fact, including our own Dave B! I had heard of Gene Wolfe and must get back into this genre. Have you read the Helliconia trilogy by Brian Aldiss? My own favourite

No, I have not, but I will certainly look into it. I'm always looking for new SF or Fantasy books to read!

animist

#4 Post by animist » November 24th, 2016, 11:19 am

I have now got "The Torturer's Apprentice" (ugh - not very humanistic :D ) from my local library. I wish you many more enjoyable books, and I will let you how I get on with this on :smile: