View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2014, 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Recipes 

Alan C. wrote:
Sorry lewis, I think we are at cross purposes now (my fault) Do you mean by "stovies" tattie scones/ cakes? cooked on a griddle?.
No, Alan, Stovies are quite different. The potatoes are cooked by simmering in stock but reduced so they don't need to be poured. The result has a consistency a bit like lumpy porridge but is really good.
Alan C. wrote:
Do you have bannocks down there in the south of Scotland? (yes you are in the south) Or are they just a Shetland thing? they're a bit like Irish soda bread cut in triangles, but equally as good filled with either bacon or jam, or anything really.
I once holidayed on Sanday and also lived for two years in Sutherland so I know about the relative geography of Scotland and the islands, which is more than most do. I remember the bakery on Sanday sold both oatcakes and bere meal bannocks, neither quite like anything you get on the mainland. However, your bannocks sound more like girdle scones, circular but divided in four triangles (each with one curved edge). As you say, as good with bacon or jam! :)

September 26th, 2007, 9:09 am

Let me share this rather tasty way of doing green beans that I've discovered. Sorry I don't have precise measurements or anything.

Green beans
Garlic
Soy sauce
Olive oil
Paprika (optional)

Heat some olive oil in a saucepan. Add the beans then add some crushed garlic and some soy sauce and a little ground paprika if desired.

They're yummy!

October 4th, 2007, 2:25 pm

The best roast chicken I know comes (I think) from Elizabeth David years ago....

Mash lots of garlic into butter, add pepper, salt and tarragon. Smear all over your chicken (prick it first) and then put it in roasting dish upside down. Trussed chickens are triangular: divide the cooking time by three, and turn it every half hour or so, spooning juices over.

It never dries out this way, the skin crisps wonderfully and if there's any left over the sandwiches are to die for.

October 4th, 2007, 3:53 pm

I tried out your stovies recipe last night. A bit of a wing and a prayer, as I discovered, just too late to stop, that you hadn't put quantities in your recipe, and I'm not a good enough cook to 'wing it' with confiidence. It turned out very well, though. :thumbsup: We even had enough for a fry-up this morning for breakfast. Yum yum. we had toad in the hole made from a friend's free ranging 'happy pigs'. I cheated woth the batter and used Morrisons mix, but it does make briiliant batter, with no lumps, so easily.

October 5th, 2007, 9:52 am

Hi Lewis!

I tried out your stovies recipe last night. A bit of a wing and a prayer, as I discovered, just too late to stop, that you hadn't put quantities in your recipe, and I'm not a good enough cook to 'wing it' with confiidence. It turned out very well, though. :thumbsup: We even had enough for a fry-up this morning for breakfast. Yum yum. we had toad in the hole made from a friend's free ranging 'happy pigs'. I cheated woth the batter and used Morrisons mix, but it does make briiliant batter, with no lumps, so easily.
That's great, Nick! I'm glad they turned out well. I guess the main quantity is something along the lines of 'two thirds of a pot of potatoes' and the rest follows. If you make more than you can eat in a sitting, by all means have them for breakfast, or they freeze quite well.

I haven' made toad in the hole for ages. I'm sure there are veggie sausages in the freezer. Perhaps tomorrow for tea?

October 5th, 2007, 10:21 pm

I haven' made toad in the hole for ages. I'm sure there are veggie sausages in the freezer. Perhaps tomorrow for tea?
Now that's a good idea! I used to love it when I was a kid. Now where's the shopping list for tomorrow...

October 5th, 2007, 11:39 pm
Profile WWW

Some people would use a tin of corned beef but I have always felt that to be very downmarket and slightly unpleasant.
You snob! When I was a kid, it was always corned beef!

October 5th, 2007, 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't made this for years, but I used to make it for the Red Cross and then sell the recipe for a 50p donation to funds!

Alan's Moist Carrot And Walnut Cake

Makes one 18 cm (7 inch) round cake

225 g (8 oz) light soft brown sugar
175 ml (6 fl oz) vegetable oil
2 eggs
100 g (4 oz) plain wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
150 g (5 oz) coarsely grated carrots
50 g (2 oz) chopped walnuts

Topping:
2 tablespoons apricot jam
1 tablespoon lemon juice
50 g (2 oz) chopped walnuts

Preparation time 25 minutes, plus cooling
Cooking time 1 hour 10 minutes
Oven 180ºC , 350ºF, Gas Mark 4

An exceptionally soft, moist cake which will keep well for up to a week. Quick to make and good even without a topping if time is short.

1. Line an 18 cm (7 inch) round cake tin with non-stick silicone paper or greased greaseproof paper. Use a fixed-base tin as the mixture is almost a pouring consistency.
2. Put the sugar into a mixing bowl and, using an electric whisk, gradually whisk in the oil, then whisk in the eggs one at a time.
3. Mix together the flour, cinnamon, ground cardamom seeds and sodium bicarbonate and stir into the egg mixture, then add the carrots and walnuts.
4. Beat all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon then pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
5. Place in the centre of a pre-heated oven and bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes until the cake has risen and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven, leave to stand in the tin for 3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire tray, peel off the paper and leave to cool.
6. To make the topping, boil the jam and lemon juice together in a small pan for 2 to 3 minutes. Brush the mixture generously over the top of the cooled cake and immediately sprinkle with the walnuts. The glaze will set very quickly.

Variation:
For a traditional finish to the cake, spread the top with 50 g (2 oz) of cream cheese beaten with icing sugar to taste.

October 5th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Profile WWW

(from Linda McCartney On Tour)

To make 20 fritters

1lb tinned or frozen (but thawed) sweetcorn, drained
4oz sifted plain flour
2tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
1 chopped clove of garlic
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp soy sauce to taste
2 eggs

My experience? 12 oz of sweetcorn was enough

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Heat some veggie oil in a large frying pan, so that the batter sizzles when dropped in the oil.

1 tablespoon of the mixture = 1 fritter when squished

Keep separate in the pan, fry until golden brown on both sides

Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven until the required number are done.

Serve with "Blue Dragon Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce" or similar

Suggest 3 fritters make an ideal starter

Yum Yum!

:thumbsup:

October 8th, 2007, 1:28 pm

I've made this veggie stew a few times, having got the recipe off the internet but I can't remember where.

Bean and veggie stew – serves 6-8

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 2 large carrots, chopped
* 2 celery stalks, sliced
* 2 small red potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 1 small yellow pepper, chopped
* 1 cup sliced mushrooms
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tbsp chili powder
* 1 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or broth
* 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
* 1 15-ounce can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 courgette, sliced

PREPARATION:
In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over a medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, carrots, celery, potato cubes and yellow pepper until onion has softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, cumin and chili powder.

Add stock and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in beans and sliced courgette. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.

Serve over rice or with some crusty whole grain bread

October 26th, 2007, 10:44 am
Site Admin

I just got this email from a relative of mine:

Quote:
1. {email address}
2. {email address}

Lots of you probably don't usually do this kind of thing and neither do I but there's nothing sinister in this one so do give it a go. It's a recipe exchange.

Just send a recipe to the person whose name is listed in position 1 above. Make it something quick and easy and without rare ingredients. The best are those that you know in your head and can type out and send right now. Then copy this letter into a new email and move my name to the number 1 position and put your name in the number 2 position. Only your name and mine should appear in this list when you send out your emails. This is the hardest bit - send this list to 6 people.

If you don’t want to do this within 5 days please let me know so it will be fair to those participating. You should receive 36 recipes and it'll be fun to see where they come from! The turn around is fast because only 2 names are on the list.

Please make sure you bcc other people’s addresses.

Which seems a nice idea for people who have lots of friends who - unlike me - like cooking! Anyway I thought I'd share the recipe I sent because I've just written it down for the first time ever and it seems a shame to only share it with one.

This is delicious – sorry I don’t know about quantities but you can’t really go wrong with it.

Sweet Lentil Soup

Serves two.

Ingredients:
Oil (I use olive)
Stock (chicken or vegetable, in which case the soup will be suitable for vegetarians and vegans)
Split red lentils
1 medium onion
1 large carrot (or 2 smaller ones)
Black treacle
Cheddar cheese (or whatever hard gratable cheese you like)

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan and add a chopped onion. Fry gently for a couple of minutes to soften. Add a large carrot, cut into chunks. Add red split lentils – I’m guessing 125 grams would be plenty for two but add them slowly, stirring so they are coated in oil and stop adding them when the oil is used up.

Now add a generous spoonful of black treacle. I don’t use a measuring spoon – I just take one from the kitchen drawer, using the size I’d use to eat cereal or a pudding with.

Stir.

Add a pint of stock.

Stir and bring almost to boil then simmer for an hour or so. Keep an eye on it and add more liquid if necessary. Plain water will do.

Serve with plenty of grated cheese on it. You can also add croutons.

January 28th, 2008, 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I've just had a thought - I hope people don't mind if I forward the email on to them so they can send a recipe to my relative. I do not want to receive a bunch of recipes myself so there will be no need for you to forward my name to 6 more people.

Anyway, I'll send the email out to some of those who've contributed to this thread - just send her the recipe you've posted here, I'm sure that will be fine - plus a few others.

Just ignore it if you don't want to do it.

January 28th, 2008, 2:32 pm
Profile WWW

What i'm eating tonight:

Take:
Red onnion
Courgette
Aubergine
Red Pepper
2 Tomatos
some smoked bacon
(and anything else you fancy. mushrooms would be good, eh?)

chop up and put in a roasting dish

add:
a splash of olive oil
about a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
half a teaspoon of honey
good splash of balsamic vinegar
some black pepper
mixed herbs

mix together

roast untill the veggies soften to your liking

serve with rice or pasta or cous cous.

January 28th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Sounds delicious (with mushrooms!). Is there a smiley for licking lips?

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

January 29th, 2008, 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

Baisen Omelettes

These vegetarian omelettes are made with chickpea (baisen) flour and can be eaten as a quick snack. Easy to make and quick to prepare, they are ideal for unexpected friends or late night guests.

PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
MAKES: 12

275 g (10 oz) sieved baisen flour
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1–2 green chillies, chopped (optional)
2 sprigs fresh green coriander, chopped (I use ground cumin)
2 tomatoes, seeded and diced (I use a tin of tomatoes, in which case you probably don't need to add the water)
50 g (2 oz) shelled peas (and/or sweetcorn, etc)
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt (if you really have to!)
Pinch chilli powder
Olive oil

Mix the baisen flour with the onion, chillies, coriander, tomatoes and peas. Add sufficient water to made a thick batter, about 450 ml (3/4 pint). Season with salt and chilli powder, Mix well and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Heat a solid based frying pan or griddle pan and brush with oil. Ladle in sufficient batter to cover the base of the pan. Cover and cook over a low heat for 4–5 minutes. Turn the omelette over and cook for 3–4 minutes. Both sides should be browned evenly. Make the rest of the omelettes in the same way. Serve hot with tomato sauce.

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

June 24th, 2008, 11:59 pm
Profile WWW

Very easy, very tasty, very convenient bread.

Put two cups of lukewarm water in a large bowl, add one sachet of dried yeast and half a teaspoon of salt and stir, now add half a cup of wholemeal bread flour and two and three quarter cups of white bread flower, stir well with a wooden spoon till you get a sticky mix with no dry flour left, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise (I left it a couple of hours) now put it in the fridge.

It's now ready to use as and when you want it, with floured hands (it will be sticky) just pull off a piece of the dough and shape it into a loaf or rolls, cover and let it prove (around 45 minutes) then bake.
It can be left in the fridge and used for up to ten days.

It takes less than 10 minutes to make the initial mix, I made it on Saturday, then on Sunday I made 4 rolls (scrummy) I made 4 more yesterday and will make more today, it takes no time at all and you get fresh bread every day with no waste.

August 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

You accidentally pressed the submit button too early, Shetlander. You missed the bit about making slices out of it and sticking a big fat tuna in between two of them.

August 13th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Well you try to be nice.........................You know what I mean Penguin,
And what do you get?

First off fishbreath, I am not a Shetlander, I just choose to live here :yahbooh:
And here's what I'd do with penguins.
Ingredients
2 Rnd. Tsp. Salt
2/3 Rnd. Tsp. Pepper
1 Rnd. Tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tsp. Celery Salt
1 Tsp. Onion Powder
1/8 Tsp. Sage
small sprinkle Ground Thyme
2 Cups Flour
Oil
2 Penguins (stripped and cut into pieces)
Soak Penguins in cold salt water for 20 minutes.
Mix all dry ingredients in a plastic bag.
Put oil in skillet 3/4 tp 1 inch deep.
Heat oil to 375 degrees,
Coat each piece of Penguin with the flour mixture.
Add Penguin strips to the skillet.
Fry each side 4 minutes. Turn 3 times for strips, 4 times for pieces.
Serve on a bed of safron rice, scrummy (if a bit fishy tasting).

August 13th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Another quick and easy (no kneading) bread recipe.

In a large bowl, mix 1lb of wholemeal bread flour with 2 teaspoons of salt,
sprinkle 3 & a 1/2 teaspoons of dried yeast into a jug containing 14 fl ounces of tepid water and leave for 10 mins, then add a teaspoon of treacle or molasses to the jug, stir and leave to go frothy, now make a well in the flour and add the yeasted liquid, then get your hands in there and give it a good mix, it will be quite wet and sticky, but that's how it should be.
Put into a greased 1lb loaf tin and leave to rise, (when risen it should be about an inch above the rim of your tin) now bake at gas mark 7 for 30 minutes.

August 19th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Bump. Just for Dave. :D

October 27th, 2011, 10:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next