View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 16th September 1977 

34 years ago, on this very day, a couple were driving home in a purple Mini after a night out together. The driver was Gloria Jones and the front seat passenger was Mark Feld. They hit a tree at speed on the journey home and the passenger was killed. The passenger was, of course, Marc Bolan, lead singer with the band T. Rex and the founder of the Glam-Rock generation. Marc was my first ever real-life hero (all my heroes before him had been of the super-hero variety). I owned all of his records, including all of his early material as Tyrannosaurus Rex. I’d seen him live, staging a brilliant concert, at the Odeon Birmingham back in 1974. He could do no wrong in my eyes.

I was on holiday in Torquay with my girlfriend when the news came through and I was desolate for the rest of the holiday.

If you get a moment, during today, spare a thought for Roland Bolan, Marc’s illegitimate son, who has yet to benefit from his father’s £22 million legacy. The money is still tied up in trust as Marc, not expecting to die at the tender age of 29, had not made a will, and was still legally married to his ex-wife, June Child. If nothing else, take time out to make sure that you don’t die intestate, and that you’ve made it clear who will benefit from any legacy you may expect to leave.

Attachments:
MARCBOLAN201971.jpg
MARCBOLAN201971.jpg [ 16.69 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]

September 16th, 2011, 11:06 am
Profile WWW

Saw Tyrannasaurus Rex live on Liverpool Philharmonic.
Dug & redug, redug!

September 16th, 2011, 11:32 am

A moving post Steve - thanks - and 'don't die intestate' is bloody good advice.

September 16th, 2011, 11:55 am

Just to be really awkward, actually Marc Bolan didn't die intestate. He'd signed a will in October 1973. And apparently he left £10,000 to Gloria Jones. As I understand it, if Bolan had died intestate, the laws of intestacy would have meant that Rolan Bolan would have inherited a share of his father's estate (illegitimate children had been able to inherit from their fathers since 1969).

All the same, "write a will and update it as circumstances change" is still bloody good advice. Must do that. :D

Emma

September 16th, 2011, 12:42 pm

jaywhat wrote:
A moving post Steve - thanks - and 'don't die intestate' is bloody good advice.

'Don't die' is good advice too.

September 16th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Good advice, Nick, but unfortunately, impossible to follow. One thing I've learned with the one life we have, is that we have to give in to the inevitable.

September 16th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Profile WWW

I remember listening to marc bolan and t rex sat in my mates front room with a group of other sweaty teenagers drinking from party 7 cans of beer on Saturday nights thinking we were gods gift to the local girls. What the local girls thought of us we never did find out.Oh happy days.

September 16th, 2011, 6:09 pm

I read an interview with Rowland and his mother. They were talking about how hard it had been when people around assumed that were part of the rock family and supposedly had all the wealth that came with it, when in reality they were as skint as anyone else on low income. They talked about how one of Bolans friends, a certain David Bowie paid for Rolands education and supported him financially throughout his childhood.

Theres no reason to feel sorry for these people. If youre doing that you might as well feel sorry for anyone on low income, which is pretty pointless. However Marc was a real star. I was and I suppose still am a huge Bowie fan and Bolan was just off my radar but I remember his comeback TV show in 1977 when Bowie sang Heroes and Bolan looked like he was really getting hs act together again. He died during the making of the series. It would have been interesting to see if he'd have made a succesful comeback.

September 16th, 2011, 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]