View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Merged threads by our beloved David Mabus 
Banned

Randi lost CONTROL over his own challenge, the deluded fool

See the URL below to see how we stopped the CHALLENGE as the little fraud would obviously not pay up:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/forums/ ... d/3283/P0/

http://www.thinkhumanism.com/

http://thinkhumanist.blogspot.com/

January 22nd, 2008, 5:30 am
Site Admin

Hello drmabusa

You posted this in Club Soda. If this is some kind of game, it needs more explanation. If it isn't then it would be appreciated if you could make at least some attempt to post in the correct part of this forum. I've moved it to Miscellaneous Discussions for the time being as I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The link to the CFI thread is not helpful; I see nothing there that follows from your chosen topic title.

Thanks for publicising the Dawkins, 'You are wrong' clip. Good one. :thumbsup:

January 22nd, 2008, 11:50 am
Profile WWW

Sorry, Maria, it's still in the wrong place. The OP is so hilarious it should be relegated to the Comedy Club.

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

January 22nd, 2008, 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

Dr S'abuse has been making a nuisance of himself elsewhere:
http://www.skeptics.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2011

January 22nd, 2008, 6:17 pm

LMoG

Your link doesn't work for me (I can see other posts), but it may be because I've just joined (although I thought I had joined before). Does the link work for anyone?

January 22nd, 2008, 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Quote:
Alan H
Does the link work for anyone?
I had to register to get access, but when I try to log in it says incorrect username or password, even though I know they are correct.
He/she has also made the same post here. some good comments follow.
As he or she is not returning to any of the forums where it's posted, I think we can safely assume it's just a troll.

January 22nd, 2008, 9:55 pm

If anyone wants the real story, rather than the guff in the OP, here is the real story from JREF:
Quote:
********************************************************************************
James Randi Educational Foundation - SWIFT January 4, 2008
http://www.randi.org/joom/content/view/144/1/#i4
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE JREF MILLION-DOLLAR CHALLENGE

All this brings us to the Subject of the Week here on SWIFT.

It was March 6th, 1998, when the JREF Million-Dollar Challenge first came into existence. That’s almost ten years ago. It’s always been a simple, direct, matter: do what you claim you can do of a paranormal nature, and walk away with the prize. Our expectations at first were that we’d attract major personalities by this means, but they’ve avoided having to take the test by simply not applying; those who have actually applied are generally honestly self-deluded persons who have difficulty stating what they can do, which can be understood if they really don’t know what they’re experiencing; we at JREF have gone through involved procedures to help them recognize their problems. Usually, they have indicated that they don’t know what real scientific rules are, when it comes down to their actually being properly tested.

All this is obvious to anyone who has followed the action over the last decade. Now, while the JREF earns a certain income from having the prize money very conservatively invested, that sum could certainly be used more productively if it were made freely available to us.

As of March 6th, 2010 – twelve years after the challenge was first offered – it will be.

The James Randi Educational Foundation Million-Dollar Challenge will be discontinued 24 months from this coming March 6th, and those prize funds will then be available to generally add to our flexibility. This move will free us to do many more projects, which will be announced at that time.

This means that all those wishing to be claimants are required to get their applications in before the deadline, properly filled out and notarized as described in the published rules.

Now, we’re sure that there will be those who will offer all kinds of objections to this decision – though they could have simply applied and won the prize. There will be accusations that the JREF is concerned about the safety of the prize money – which was never any sort of concern, I can assure you – and there will be more claims that the money was never there in the first place. I can see the professionals out there sighing in relief that they no longer have to answer questions about why they won’t take the prize, and they’ll just wait out the remaining period that the prize is available. All that’s to be expected.

Ten years is long enough to wait. The hundreds of poorly-constructed applications, and the endless hours of phone, e-mail, and in-person discussions we’ve had to suffer through, will be things of the past, for us at the JREF.

Those who believe they have mystic powers now have two full years to apply… Let’s see what happens.

[Captured: 22 January 2008 21:01:59]

###################

January 22nd, 2008, 10:04 pm
Profile WWW

Lord Muck oGentry wrote:
Dr S'abuse has been making a nuisance of himself elsewhere:
http://www.skeptics.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=2011
I see several friends over there...looks like a nice place. :) (I obviously managed to register and log in OK.)

January 22nd, 2008, 10:07 pm
Profile WWW

I would urge anybody who hasn't seen these videos (from JREF), to watch them when you have time, this woman is literally trying to take the piss.
I think the first one is about 7 minutes but you could skip that one, the next three are only about 4 minutes.
Quote:
Rosemary Hunter Preliminary Test 1/4

part one. You'll see 2,3, and 4 to the right of the screen.
Just why god would want to give somebody this "power" escapes me, anybody?

January 22nd, 2008, 10:55 pm

Alan C

I can see you on the members' list on UK Skeptics. Can you log in now? There seems to be quite a few of us who registered there today!

January 22nd, 2008, 11:23 pm
Profile WWW

No I still get this
Quote:
You have entered an invalid username or password. Please press the back button, enter the correct details and try again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

You have used 1 out of 5 login attempts. After all 5 have been used, you will be unable to login for 15 minutes.
I am definitely entering the correct username and password :shrug: I have emailed the admin, hang on I've just got this reply.
Quote:
Dear Alan C.,

Your account on UK-Skeptics Forum has been locked because someone has tried to log into the account with the wrong password more than 5 times. You will be able to attempt to log in again in another 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: <deleted>
:puzzled: I don't know my IP address, so now I'm totally lost.

January 22nd, 2008, 11:47 pm

Alan

There are two possibilities:

1. That the software has forgotten the username and password you typed in when you registered.
2. That you have forgotten (or mis-typed)... :grin:

I strongly suspect that you've simply forgotten or mis-typed one of them. Ah! Just checked their member list. Did you remember the full stop you put at the end of your user name when you registered???? :laughter:

I deleted your IP address in your last post, because there's no point in telling the whole world!

Not that you need to, but there are several ways to find your own IP address. One web tool is http://www.ip-adress.com — watch out, I've spelled it correctly, with one 'd' in address! I have no idea why!

January 23rd, 2008, 12:05 am
Profile WWW

Alan C. wrote:
I would urge anybody who hasn't seen these videos (from JREF), to watch them when you have time, this woman is literally trying to take the piss.
I think the first one is about 7 minutes but you could skip that one, the next three are only about 4 minutes.
Quote:
Rosemary Hunter Preliminary Test 1/4

part one. You'll see 2,3, and 4 to the right of the screen.
Just why god would want to give somebody this "power" escapes me, anybody?
I remember seeing this a few months ago! If you've never read through the forum where they publish the correspondence with prospective winners of the prize, you're missing something! It is sometimes hilarious, sometimes sad.

January 23rd, 2008, 12:23 am
Profile WWW

A
Quote:
lan H
Did you remember the full stop you put at the end of your user name when you registered???? :laughter:
Alan puuuuuurlese credit me with a smidgen of inteligence, I'm not the sharpest knife in the box but................................I use the same name (my name) on lots of forums (or fora, same as on this forum) and I'm quite sure I have not made a mistake

I can only think.............It must be the god guy "moving in mysterious ways"

January 23rd, 2008, 12:33 am

Alan C. wrote:
A
Quote:
lan H
Did you remember the full stop you put at the end of your user name when you registered???? :laughter:
Alan puuuuuurlese credit me with a smidgen of inteligence, I'm not the sharpest knife in the box but................................I use the same name (my name) on lots of forums (or fora, same as on this forum) and I'm quite sure I have not made a mistake

I can only think.............It must be the god guy "moving in mysterious ways"
Sorry Alan. No offence meant. :)

January 23rd, 2008, 1:12 am
Profile WWW

Quote:
Sorry Alan. No offence meant.
Non taken, it was just me feeling a bit stroppy :)

January 23rd, 2008, 11:38 am

Alan H wrote:
Not that you need to, but there are several ways to find your own IP address. One web tool is http://www.ip-adress.com — watch out, I've spelled it correctly, with one 'd' in address! I have no idea why!

That's interesting Alan, thanks. However, They are telling me that I'm a stone's throw from Waterloo Station, which they claim is in the City of London, neither of which is true. :shrug:
How is the location of an IP address decided? Is it possible that it occurs at original registration or some such? You can probably tell from this question that I haven't a clue about this sort of thing :grin:

January 23rd, 2008, 12:11 pm
Site Admin

The location of your IP address isn't always your real life location. It depends on the ISP. People in the UK who use AOL all appear to live somewhere in the north of England even if they in St Ives or John o' Groats! Sometimes it shows where you are, sometimes it shows the nearest location of your ISP.

January 23rd, 2008, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Maria! That explains it!
Maria wrote:
People in the UK who use AOL all appear to live somewhere in the north of England even if they in St Ives or John o' Groats! Sometimes it shows where you are, sometimes it shows the nearest location of your ISP.
How useful!

January 23rd, 2008, 12:49 pm

I should think that's about the only useful thing that can be said about AOL.

January 23rd, 2008, 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next