View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 25th, 2014, 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Equinox 

Perhaps before it evaporated.
Not being a scientist I assume that there is (or could be) some salt in fresh water, but not very much. But not perhaps as it falls as rain - but a bit later when its flowed a bit.

March 22nd, 2012, 7:18 am

Alan C. wrote:
Nick wrote:
..seaweed....?
Err.....Sea (weed) Would suggest salt water, the stuff that falls on us seems to be of the freshwater variety. (disclaimer, it probably was sea water at some point) :)

Just extend your veggie patch a few hundred yards west, Alan. Should solve the problem.... :D

March 22nd, 2012, 9:29 pm

Quote:
Nick
Just extend your veggie patch a few hundred yards west North, Alan. Should solve the problem.... :D
:)

March 22nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

North? West? Depends how you want to solve the problem...! :D

March 22nd, 2012, 11:25 pm

Oh its the the 22nd Sep this year - so happy equinox to all and sundry.

September 22nd, 2012, 6:45 am

And the same to you, jaywhat, on this fine and shiny equinoctial morning here in Gloucester!

September 22nd, 2012, 9:15 am
Profile WWW

Happy equinox to you all; shining at 12:00 CET time (Como-Lugano area) but coming cloudy with passing hours.

September 22nd, 2012, 11:11 am

Wishing you all a good equinox day as well!

Anyone hear the "Thought for the Day" muppet on BBC R4 this morning? It was Brian Draper from the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity. He asserted that this equinox is "one of four symmetrically spread days along with its counterpart in the spring and the solstices". Symmetrically?

Summer Solstice-Autumn Equinox: 93.65 days
Autumn Equinox-Winter Solstice: 89.85 days
Winter Solstice-Vernal Equinox: 88.99 days
Vernal Equinox-Summer Solstice: 92.75 days

Exactly how does "Contemporary Christianity" contrive to represent that as "symmetrical"?

Yet the BBC is content to let that sort of religious drivel go out in "Thought for the Day", but refuses to allow a humanist perspective there.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

September 22nd, 2012, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW

:pointlaugh:

It was the 'Contemporary Christianity' that got me!

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

September 22nd, 2012, 1:25 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, me too! :D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. (Richard Feynman)

September 22nd, 2012, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

Tetenterre wrote:
Wishing you all a good equinox day as well!

Anyone hear the "Thought for the Day" muppet on BBC R4 this morning? It was Brian Draper from the London Institute for Contemporary Christianity. He asserted that this equinox is "one of four symmetrically spread days along with its counterpart in the spring and the solstices". Symmetrically?

Summer Solstice-Autumn Equinox: 93.65 days
Autumn Equinox-Winter Solstice: 89.85 days
Winter Solstice-Vernal Equinox: 88.99 days
Vernal Equinox-Summer Solstice: 92.75 days
:laughter:

Quote:
Exactly how does "Contemporary Christianity" contrive to represent that as "symmetrical"?
Maybe the same way they treat pi as 3... :D

Quote:
Yet the BBC is content to let that sort of religious drivel go out in "Thought for the Day", but refuses to allow a humanist perspective there.

Worth a complaint to the Beeb, I reckon... :wink:

September 23rd, 2012, 2:42 pm

Nick wrote:
Did that yesterday :wink:

September 23rd, 2012, 3:47 pm
Profile WWW

Tetenterre wrote:
Nick wrote:
Did that yesterday :wink:
:smile:

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

September 23rd, 2012, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW

I also fired off a blast at the LICC on Saturday. Today I received a reply from their "Head of Theology":

"Thanks for drawing our attention to this; we will forward your feedback to Brian himself for his information. Apologies if the scientific infelicity in this case distracted from the major point that Brian was making in the broadcast."

#1. I've just looked up "infelicity" to check that it means what I think it does. It does. :wink:
#2. The "major point" was one of those incredibly trite ones that religious people believe are profound! :laughter:

September 25th, 2012, 3:17 pm
Profile WWW

Well done, Steve! I've just looked at their web-site. One of the "Values" is "Simplicity -communicating from a depth of understanding" , which Brian seems not not have.

But if you don't like those values, they have others... "Creativity"
Wot? Like making it all up...?

September 25th, 2012, 3:49 pm

@Mods@ I wonder if this "sidethread" could be shifted to, e.g. the TFTD Campaign thread or something?

Hear back from Auntie today, with a "holding letter":
Quote:
Dear Mr Tonkin

Your Reference {REDACTED -- mainly becasue I've wanted an excuse to use that word :wink: }

Thanks for recently contacting the BBC. We aim to reply to complaints within 10 working days (around 2 weeks) and do for most of them but cannot for all. The time taken depends on the nature of the complaint, how many others we are dealing with and can also be affected by practical issues, such as whether a production team is available or away on location.

This is to let you know that we think it may take us longer but that we will respond as soon as we can. We would therefore ask you not to contact us further in the meantime. This is an automatic email sent from an account which is not monitored so you cannot reply to this address. If it does prove necessary however, please use our webform quoting any case number we provided.

We issue public responses to issues which have prompted large numbers of significant complaints on our website at www.bbc.co.uk/complaints along with full details of our complaints procedure and how we consider the issues raised in complaints.

In the meantime we’d like to thank you for contacting us with your concerns. We appreciate your patience in awaiting a response.

Kind regards

BBC Complaints
:

October 1st, 2012, 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

Hah, got a reply today:

Quote:
Dear Mr Tonkin

Reference {REDACTED}

Thanks for contacting us regarding ‘Thought for the Day’ from 22 September on BBC Radio 4.

I understand you were unhappy with the contributor on this occasion as you believed he inaccurately described the equinox.

We certainly appreciate the wording during this edition of ‘Thought for the Day’ could’ve been more accurate and it perhaps would’ve been better to say “This equinox is one of four approximately evenly spread days”.

Thank you very much for taking the time to bring this to our attention and I’d like to assure you I've registered your complaint on our audience log. This is an internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily and is available for viewing by all our staff. This includes all programme makers and commissioning executives, along with our senior management. It ensures that your points, along with all other comments we receive, are considered across the BBC.

Thanks once again contacting us with your concerns.

Kind Regards

Philip Boyce

BBC Complaints

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

NB This is sent from an outgoing account only which is not monitored. You cannot reply to this email address but if necessary please contact us via our webform quoting any case number we provided.

I think a reply is in order.... (yeah, I know worse things happen at sea, but...)

Edit: I must be feeling particularly picky today. :wink:

Quote:
Philip Boyce responded:"I understand you were unhappy with the contributor on this occasion as you believed he inaccurately described the equinox."

There was no "believed" about it: it is a simple demonstrable fact that the contributor *did* misrepresent the truth. Please do not try to pass off facts as mere "belief"; they are not equivalent, regardless of what your religious contributors may believe.

Philip Boyce continued: "We certainly appreciate the wording during this edition of ‘Thought for the Day’ could’ve been more accurate "

Yes. it certainly could have been. However, the BBC Charter states, "All programs and services should (...) show a respect for truth…" I suggest that the action that Philip Boyce said had been taken ("I've registered your complaint on our audience log.") is entirely inadequate for ensuring that you meet your obligations under your charter where this programme is concerned. Please let me know *specifically* what steps you are taking to ensure that respect for the truth is enforced on this particular programme (Thought for the Day).

Thank you.

October 4th, 2012, 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

:laughter: Nice one, Steve! :thumbsup:

October 4th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Yes, bring them to book - the BBC should demonstrate the epitome of accuracy in the use of language and fact but they have become steadily become more sloppy over the years.

October 4th, 2012, 4:47 pm
Profile WWW

a very happy equinox to one and all even if you happen to live in a place where it is still snowing and very wintry and miserable-making

March 20th, 2013, 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next