View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 1:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Humanist neckless 

Hi all,

Why ins't there a well design humanist symbol neckless that I can buy?

July 27th, 2009, 5:28 pm

I thnk you may mean "necklace".

The title intrigued me, I thought they had started hanging humanists!

Phew!

July 27th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Quote:
I thnk you may mean "necklace".

Sorry Getreal, you are right. How embarrassing. :redface:

July 28th, 2009, 5:07 pm

My spilling lets me down too!

July 28th, 2009, 5:12 pm

It's typographical errors, folks, not spelling! :wink:

Why not try this site, Coffee? Of course, it may not be to your taste.

July 28th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Oo! What wondirful fishy earrings!

in my case, lewist, I think it is a sppeling problim.

ETA. and brilliant skiing fish, too!!

I am very easily entertained. :D

July 28th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Thank you Lewist, I like the Happy Humanist Necklace at the site you gave, but I have no experience order it over the web outside the Uk and would they accept my debit card number as I don't have credit card. also if I want to phone them, what would their phone number be (including the prefix number), and it in US dollar which I don't know how currency be converted. Is there anything I should know about?

July 29th, 2009, 5:17 pm

Coffee - they might take your debit card, but will charge far more p&p to UK and you may have to pay customs duty (voice of experience :sad: ).

I'd take the logo to a silversmith who would make one for you if I were you. Check out the cool dudes at your local art college, I'm sure you'd find someone to make exactly what you'd like, a one-off, with far more mutual enjoyment and less hassle...

July 29th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Fia wrote:
Coffee - they might take your debit card, but will charge far more p&p to UK and you may have to pay customs duty (voice of experience :sad: ).

I'd take the logo to a silversmith who would make one for you if I were you. Check out the cool dudes at your local art college, I'm sure you'd find someone to make exactly what you'd like, a one-off, with far more mutual enjoyment and less hassle...

What a good idea, Fia! It had never occured to me to ask art students to make something (I am a bit slow, though).

Shall ask my very nice niece, who is at art school, if she can do me fishy earings.

July 30th, 2009, 8:21 pm

coffee wrote:
Thank you Lewist, I like the Happy Humanist Necklace at the site you gave, but I have no experience order it over the web outside the Uk and would they accept my debit card number as I don't have credit card. also if I want to phone them, what would their phone number be (including the prefix number), and it in US dollar which I don't know how currency be converted. Is there anything I should know about?
There are several good bits of advice there, Coffee. The idea of an art student making it is good. They do deliver to the UK and it seems reasonable if they have the charge right.

Fia is right about customs duty but it is a bit of a lottery whether you pay it or not. Personally I never have but there is always a first time.

I don't know about phoning American 1-800 numbers (the equivalent of our 0800 freephone numbers) from the UK. You could try adding a couple of zeros and see what happens but I don't know what the cost would be if you did get through. Email and ask for a normal number.

Here is a good currency converter. As a guide, $10 is presently about £6 or possibly a little less. Looking at the stainless Happy Human on beaded chain as an example it seems it would cost about $15 delivered which is around £10 plus any customs duty. That's if their carriage charge is correct.

They seem only to accept a limited range of cards but Paypal might be a possibility if you are willing to open an account. Alternatively, what about asking a friend who has a credit card to order it for you and just give them the cash?

If you decide to pursue ordering from the USA I suggest an email to clarify things. I have always had prompt and helpful responses to emails about prospective purchases. Americans are generally good to deal with.

July 30th, 2009, 10:50 pm

lewist wrote:
Here is a good currency converter.
Did you know you can use Google search? Type in '50 usd in gbp' into the Google search box and it'll convert it for you! Probably works for most currencies and OK for approximate prices.

In fact, Google can do a lot more than that: Search Features or Explore Google Search.

"We're all in this together, but some are more in it than others."
— Me, with apologies to Napoleon

July 30th, 2009, 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Can anyone tell me a bit about the symbol that appears as part of the "Think Humanism" logo? I've seen it around in a few different places. Where did it originate, and is it copyrighted or anything?

July 31st, 2009, 1:58 am

The 'happy human', in various shapes and sizes is used by humanist organisations such as the BHA who fairly recently changed it from an upright staight sided figure to a floppy spreadeagled thing which you can see on their website - www.humanism.org.uk
It was invented by someone whose name escapes me but someone will tell us. I think the BHA one is copyrighted.

July 31st, 2009, 6:29 am

Ron Webb wrote:
Can anyone tell me a bit about the symbol that appears as part of the "Think Humanism" logo? I've seen it around in a few different places. Where did it originate, and is it copyrighted or anything?
The history of the Happy Human is documented on the IHEU website.

July 31st, 2009, 9:33 am

There's also a wikipedia page on it.

July 31st, 2009, 9:59 am
Profile WWW

The Happy Humanist is, in fact, neckless :D

July 31st, 2009, 10:03 am

Thank you all for yours suggestions, I will check them all out. :thumbsup:

July 31st, 2009, 11:08 am

I've saw some really good earrings at an AHA convention last year. In addition to traveling around to Humanist and Atheist conventions, they also have a web site. http://www.evolvefish.com/fish/jewelry.html . Earrings, necklaces, pins, ... all that stuff
Unfortunately their web site images are really NASTY..!!

March 2nd, 2014, 12:40 am

Hi Meriment!

Have you seen Surly-ramics pendants, earrings, etc?

March 2nd, 2014, 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]