INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Britain Is A 'Christian Nation', apparently

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Dave B

Re: Britain Is A 'Christian Nation', apparently

#21 Post by Dave B » June 18th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

And, of those Christians, I wonder how many are regular churchgoers and practice the precepts of their faith in their daily life?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#22 Post by Alan H » July 8th, 2014, 12:34 pm

As the CofE declares that traditional assembly should be replaced with non-denominational “spiritual reflection” or silence, the Torygraph wades in. It starts: Thoughts for the day
There can be few things in life less harmful than the gentle Christian values learnt by children during school assemblies.
Ah. I see their problem...
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#23 Post by Dave B » July 8th, 2014, 1:21 pm

School assemblies offer a chance for children to learn that the British values of which we hear so much have their root in the teachings of the Bible
And the most important of which almost certainly predate the bible and certainly xtianity in their basic forms.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#24 Post by Alan H » September 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm

Eric Pickles: The fight against intolerance begins at home
The common theme is the politics of division and hate: attitudes and mantras that seek to divide rather than unite. Aggressive secularists would advocate the suppression of religion in the public sphere. Yet this would only perpetuate the message of intolerance towards others. Religion is the not the problem – political and religious extremism is.
If Pickles had a brain, he'd be dangerous.
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Alan H

#25 Post by Alan H » September 7th, 2014, 12:48 am

Well said, Nick Cohen: The phantom menace of militant atheism
But I know this, too, and so does everyone else: if a bomb explodes, no one will think that a "militant atheist" has attacked his or her country. No one will mutter: "I wonder if someone has taken this god delusion argument too far." Or: "Atheists should have known that violent words lead to violent deeds."

The police don't send undercover agents into sceptic societies and parliament doesn't pass emergency laws to combat atheist violence. Fanatics threaten European Muslims if they abandon their faith but no atheist will attack them if they keep it. No one thinks that atheists threaten the lives of their fellow citizens anywhere in the west.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#26 Post by Alan H » December 18th, 2014, 1:48 pm

New Government backed council prayers bill will 'undermine religious freedom'
The Local Government (Religious etc. Observances) Bill, proposed by Jake Berry MP but prepared by the Department for Communities and Local Government, is in response to a High Court case where the National Secular Society and a local councillor successfully argued that council meetings should be conducted in a manner equally welcoming to all councillors, regardless of their religious beliefs, or lack of belief.
Alan Henness

Altfish

#27 Post by Altfish » December 18th, 2014, 3:24 pm

It beggars belief!!!

Why, oh why can't they meet 5-minutes early and talk to their imaginary friend then?

Alan H

#28 Post by Alan H » December 18th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Altfish wrote:It beggars belief!!!

Why, oh why can't they meet 5-minutes early and talk to their imaginary friend then?
Because this nanny Government knows best and believes that religion is good for everyone. Opium of the masses and all that.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#29 Post by Dave B » December 18th, 2014, 4:23 pm

Is it the case that the members have to be present at a certain time for the meeting or be "not there" and then they start the preying praying? Seem to remember that.

I wonder if it would be allowed for non religious members to simply stand up and turn their backs on the person conducting the payers? That is, effectively, what non-Anglican members of the armed forces do during parade prayers (except they fall out of line and stand at the rear with their backs turned).

This is definitely an insult to the freedom of the individual.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#30 Post by Alan H » December 18th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Dave B wrote:This is definitely an insult to the freedom of the individual.
Of course it is, but why should that be relevant to this Government?
Alan Henness

Altfish

#31 Post by Altfish » December 18th, 2014, 10:02 pm

Certainly an element of 'civil disobedience' would seem appropriate; perhaps all non-believers should wear colanders on their heads. Or just talk as loud as the prayers.

Dave B

#32 Post by Dave B » December 18th, 2014, 10:07 pm

Altfish wrote:Certainly an element of 'civil disobedience' would seem appropriate; perhaps all non-believers should wear colanders on their heads. Or just talk as loud as the prayers.
Or sit there with their iPhones plugged into their ears* and playing games on their tablets and feet up on the desk?

* Listening to a talking book of "The God Delusion" of course!
Me, 2015

jaywhat

#33 Post by jaywhat » December 19th, 2014, 9:06 am

I recently did the local police questionnaire (West Yorkshire) and sent them a message regarding a question about religion in which they asked, 'What religion do you belong to?' - or words to that effect.
I said;
Regarding the question about religion in the ‘Information about Yourself’.
I feel this is a biased question and will result in the number of people with religion being seen as far higher than it really is.
I think a fairer question would be something like, ‘Do you have a particular religion or faith.’
The majority of people do not and should not be encouraged to say that they do.

They replied thus:
Thank you for your email. Your comments are noted and will be considered when we look at revising the questions in the survey.

Why did I expect more?

Alan H

#34 Post by Alan H » December 19th, 2014, 10:22 am

jaywhat wrote:I recently did the local police questionnaire (West Yorkshire) and sent them a message regarding a question about religion in which they asked, 'What religion do you belong to?' - or words to that effect.
I said;
Regarding the question about religion in the ‘Information about Yourself’.
I feel this is a biased question and will result in the number of people with religion being seen as far higher than it really is.
I think a fairer question would be something like, ‘Do you have a particular religion or faith.’
The majority of people do not and should not be encouraged to say that they do.

They replied thus:
Thank you for your email. Your comments are noted and will be considered when we look at revising the questions in the survey.

Why did I expect more?
Hmmm...There are 'standard' questions for equality questionnaires (if that what this was?) that they should probably be using.
Alan Henness

Alan H

#35 Post by Alan H » January 10th, 2015, 10:58 am

Write to your MP to oppose the Tory MP Jake Berry's Private Member’s Bill: The Local Government (Religious etc. Observances) Bill
The Local Government (Religious etc. Observances) Bill seeks to make provision for the inclusion of prayers or “other religious observance" or "observance connected with a religious or philosophical belief” at local authority meetings.
Another Tory attempt to take us back to the Dark Ages.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#36 Post by Dave B » January 10th, 2015, 11:48 am

Alan H wrote:Write to your MP to oppose the Tory MP Jake Berry's Private Member’s Bill: The Local Government (Religious etc. Observances) Bill
The Local Government (Religious etc. Observances) Bill seeks to make provision for the inclusion of prayers or “other religious observance" or "observance connected with a religious or philosophical belief” at local authority meetings.
Another Tory attempt to take us back to the Dark Ages.
Email sent.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#37 Post by Alan H » January 16th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Read this and weep: LOCAL GOVERNMENT (RELIGIOUS ETC. OBSERVANCES) BILL
Mr David Nuttall (Bury North) (Con):

I do not know if it was sent to all Committee members, but the National Secular Society sent me its briefing on the Bill. Rather strangely, it seems to suggest that the Bill might in some way be seen as divisive. The society seems to be complaining that the majority would be imposing their will on the minority, as if somehow the reverse—the minority imposing their will on the majority—would be perfectly alright. It does not seem very pleased about the fact that the majority of councillors may do this if they so wish.
Alan Henness

thundril

#38 Post by thundril » January 16th, 2015, 2:43 pm

I personally feel no need to call on the state to forbid or demand open declarations of any philosophical position held by a group. Those councillors that want to pray, meditate, practice yoga, sing Irish rebel songs or recite en masse humorous ditties that cast doubt on the sanity of god-botherers, should be free to do so, as long as the right to dissent is respected.
Je suis Charlie.

Dave B

#39 Post by Dave B » January 20th, 2015, 9:31 am

On "Democracy Day" I was in two minds where to post this but decided this was more appropriate.

After 750 years of democracy (?) in this 1st world, powerful, rich Christian country:

* we still have parents going hungry in order that their kids can eat

* those that have access have to rely on food donated by others to keep healthy

* we have people diagnosed physically and mentally unable to work having their benefits cut "for their own good" to force them to look for work in competition with the hundreds of thousands of perfectly fit people

There are probably more examples of our society that make TH members sick, these just occurred to me last night. It is the politicians' claim that this is a Christian country that is actually giving Christianity a worse name, as a source of social good, than it deserves.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#40 Post by Tetenterre » January 21st, 2015, 3:15 pm

Oh FFS! Can these "good Christians" not abide by their own guide-book?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Dave B

#41 Post by Dave B » January 21st, 2015, 3:29 pm

Tetenterre wrote:
Oh FFS! Can these "good Christians" not abide by their own guide-book?
Thanks for that, TT.

Think I will print a few out, laminate them and offer them to the street preachers in Gloucester when they pray for us sinners at the tops of their voices!
Me, 2015