INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Catholic reaction to Kansas child abuse crisis

For topics that are more about faith, religion and religious organisations than anything else.
Sandra Price

Re: Catholic reaction to Kansas child abuse crisis

#21 Post by Sandra Price » October 19th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Very good! Maybe I should return to my family roots in Scotland.
Not for Prophet

Trickle

#22 Post by Trickle » October 19th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Sandra Price wrote:Very good! Maybe I should return to my family roots in Scotland.
As I understand it Scotland is the base for fundamentalist Christians in the UK, or at least those pushing for Biblical creationism to be taught in school as a factual account of the origins of the universe and human race.
I am currently reading...The Hedgehog, The Fox and The Magisters Pox by Stephen Jay Gould

Alan C.

#23 Post by Alan C. » October 19th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Eh! :puzzled:
Abstinence Makes the Church Grow Fondlers.

Paul Braterman

#24 Post by Paul Braterman » October 19th, 2011, 8:13 pm

No, Twinkle. Evolution is firmly in the syllabus in Scotland. The Scottish Education Secretary may, however, have been disingenuous when he refused to issue specific guidance condemning creationism (as there is in England) on the grounds that there isn't a problem. But I don't think we have more than our share of them, and our Religious, Moral, and Philosophical Education (RMPE) is meant to be education and discussion rather than indoctrination, my fiercely atheistic daughter described it as one of her best school classes, and the convener of the Glasgow Brights is a highly regarded RMPE teacher.

What Twinkle may have in mind is the Centre for Intelligent Design, a thinly disguised franchise of the Discovery Institute, from which it borrows speakers, materials, and ideas. Of the three people who run this, one is an out and out biblical literalist, one is certainly a creationist in the strict sense of rejecting evolution, and one keeps his views on creationism private, but his writings show a clear sympathy for young earth creationism. Officially, however, they maintain that Intelligent Design has nothing to do with creationism, let alone religion.

We do not think that they are making much progress.

Trickle

#25 Post by Trickle » October 19th, 2011, 8:41 pm

That's what I was refering too. I just couldn't remember the details
I am currently reading...The Hedgehog, The Fox and The Magisters Pox by Stephen Jay Gould

Alan H

#26 Post by Alan H » March 13th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#27 Post by Dave B » March 13th, 2012, 3:31 pm

But William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, a church advocacy group in New York, said targeting the network was justified because “SNAP is a menace to the Catholic Church.”
That quote (assuming it was accurate) made me almost nauseous with anger. It is indicative of the wholly arrogant attitude of the Rat Catchers that they must be in the right even when they have caused so much pain and anguish over the centuries.

Might look to see if there is any way of contributing a few quid to a fund for that group. And any others on this side of the Pond.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015