INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

A good memory

...on serious topics that don't fit anywhere else at present.
Dave B

A good memory

#1 Post by Dave B » December 25th, 2011, 11:14 am

Nostalgia is something I normally avoid like the plague, but there are always good memories and, though I never married, Lewist's new grandchild did evoke a few memories.

One was of the daughter of a neighbour. I think she was destined to become a word person anyway, but as a lover of words myself I was bound to encourage her a little.

At that age where she could understand more of the spoken word than she could offer back Leanne dragged the Argos catalogue over to me and make clear that I was to pick it up. Then she climbed into my lap and opened the book, going to the toys page and pointing at the first picture, a little girl with three teddies.

I found myself making up a story, on the fly, fitting the pictures in as Leanne pointed at them. This surprised me and held the young lady's rapt attention. Surprised me in that I never knew that I could do that! Several times after that I acted as audience/prompter/definer when she read stories out loud.

Later Leanne, used to write brilliant little stories for her younger sister and left school the top of her class in English Language, with great exam results. She went to uni and scored high there as well. She now teaches English in Holland.

I like to think that I had a bit of a hand in her success.
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

jaywhat

Re: A good memory

#2 Post by jaywhat » December 25th, 2011, 11:38 am

Lovely memory. Lovely story.

Fia

#3 Post by Fia » December 25th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Ahh :) I popped in this thread thinking it would be advice on keeping the grey matter working properly. Instead I was heart-warmed :nod:

lewist

#4 Post by lewist » December 26th, 2011, 8:45 am

That's a fantastic memory, Dave!

My children loved being read to, but the last event of each day, after several bedtime stories, was to do a review of their days. My daughter is the one I remember best, she being the first. 'Do Joanne, Daddy, Do Joanne!' she said if she thought I might forget. And we would discuss what had happened that day, some by me, some by her. She loved it.

What gives me huge pleasure now is the fact that she clearly remembers how much she loved that part of her day, and it is now a firm favourite with Katie, and will probably also be so with little Mairi.

I also remember the slight difficulty of getting three children on my knee for bedtime stories, because they all wanted to join in each other's books. It seemed as if that time would go on for ever. Now it's grandchildren.
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

getreal

#5 Post by getreal » December 27th, 2011, 2:43 am

What a lovely thread (though I, like Fia, thought it was some hints to keep the memory sharp!)

When my daughter was very young, each Christmas eve, when I would be reading her bedtime story, my husband would creep outside her bedroom window with a set of "jingly" bells and shake them so that she could hear santa's sleigh pass over. This year we had the pleasure of doing the same thing for our grandaughter (though I don't remember it ever raining so hard before. Husband was soaked through!). Probably the first and last time we will be able to do this.

:sad:
"It's hard to put a leash on a dog once you've put a crown on his head"-Tyrion Lannister.

lewist

#6 Post by lewist » December 27th, 2011, 9:48 am

Getreal! That's wonderful. I'll remember that one and if I ever get the chance,... :smile:
Carpe diem. Savour every moment.

Marian

#7 Post by Marian » December 30th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Won't have grandchildren but it's wonderful to read your stories. My best memory of Curtis is a mother's day card I received which read: Thank you, mom, for helping with my life. Made me cry.
What I like the best about Curtis is that his compliments are without guile. He really means it.
I remember the first time he told me he loved me. He was 5 years old.
Transformative fire...

Alan H

#8 Post by Alan H » December 30th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Marian wrote:Won't have grandchildren but it's wonderful to read your stories. My best memory of Curtis is a mother's day card I received which read: Thank you, mom, for helping with my life. Made me cry.
What I like the best about Curtis is that his compliments are without guile. He really means it.
I remember the first time he told me he loved me. He was 5 years old.
:happyclappy:
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#9 Post by Dave B » December 31st, 2011, 9:31 am

"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Fia

#10 Post by Fia » December 31st, 2011, 8:12 pm

ditto, that's lovely, Marian :kiss:

15 years ago today when my youngest was a few months old we stayed over with friends. I mostly carried youngest about in a big strong scarf wrapped around us both - leaving my hands free to get on with stuff. Usually she slept between feeding, but would instantly wake and moan if you 'put her down'. I detest that expression :sick:
There was too much interesting stuff going on for her to sleep: music, food, many other children, eclectic adults, lights, laughter and love. She was passed round the party having an absolute ball. By 12.30am I needed sleep. She was dancing in the arms of our host: ginormous grin, huge happy shining eyes, arms and legs pumping with the music. My friend told me to go to bed and she'd bring her to me when she tired.

I believe it was around 3am when a nappy changed, tired but unwhinging child was brought to me. She snuggled up for a wee sook and we both slept until mid morning. Her first new year and she out partied me :)

There are 2 things I love about this family story. Firstly that she so fully entered into the experience and secondly that I have been lucky enough to have great friends in whom I can trust, even when partying, to take care of my precious child.

Someone once said it takes a whole village to raise a child. At this new year I raise my glass to all of us who are part of any child's village :thumbsup:

Dave B

#11 Post by Dave B » December 31st, 2011, 8:49 pm

Someone once said it takes a whole village to raise a child.
I have heard that as well, there are far too few villages.
Me, 2015

Marian

#12 Post by Marian » December 31st, 2011, 11:44 pm

Dave B wrote:
Someone once said it takes a whole village to raise a child.
I have heard that as well, there are far too few villages.
Very, very true! And sadly, the more issues your child has, it seems the fewer hands willing to help. I'm grateful to Scott for his ongoing, 5+ year commitment to Curtis. I remember how Scott got involved with us. He worked at the school Curtis used to go to. One day, he pretended he was skateboarding off a metal cabinet. Ran right up the side of it. Curtis loved this so I hired him. He's been with us ever since.
Transformative fire...

Val

#13 Post by Val » January 4th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I loved hearing about how you hired Scott. I knew he was something special and so admired his way with Curtis. He is an asset to any family in need of care or even just in need of love.