INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

In 2017, UK water companies still rely on “magic”

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

#1 Post by Alan H » November 21st, 2017, 6:41 pm

If you had to work out where to dig so that you didn’t cut off the water supply to an entire town, would you rely on a Ouija board for your answer? Probably not, but that is in effect what at least two UK water companies (now ten out of the twelve UK companies, see update below) openly admit to doing in 2017. Except instead of asking a Ouija board, they are asking divining (or dowsing) rods.

My parents were trying to install a new water pipe from the mains, which required knowing where the existing mains water pipes were underground. After calling out a technician from Severn Trent, the water company that services the whole of the Midlands, my parents couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw the man from Severn Trent slowly walking around holding two “bent tent pegs” to locate the pipe.
UK water firms admit using divining rods to find leaks and pipes
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Compassionist

Re: In 2017, UK water companies still rely on “magic”

#2 Post by Compassionist » December 31st, 2017, 8:08 pm

I can't believe this happens! I am too shocked for any more words.

VINDICATOR

#3 Post by VINDICATOR » January 1st, 2018, 7:45 am

Dear Compassionist,
Why should that little bit of magic shock you out of words? More than half the people in the UK believe in magic, such as walking on water, turning water into wine, etc. That fellow named Moses could turn the red sea on and off just as easily as you turn on the water faucet!

Compassionist

#4 Post by Compassionist » January 5th, 2018, 12:23 pm

VINDICATOR wrote:Dear Compassionist,
Why should that little bit of magic shock you out of words? More than half the people in the UK believe in magic, such as walking on water, turning water into wine, etc. That fellow named Moses could turn the red sea on and off just as easily as you turn on the water faucet!
I think they believe in God or Gods rather than magic.

VINDICATOR

#5 Post by VINDICATOR » January 6th, 2018, 9:57 am

Dear Compassionate,
If you were by the sea and saw someone walking on the water, wouldn't you call that magic? Magic is the breaking of the Laws of nature. Modern man believes that the Laws of Nature are immutable, ie. can't be broken. The "magic" we see at magic shows are just illusions and tricks. I once saw a magic show where the magician changed a girl into a tiger! No one believed that it was true. Everyone knew it was only a trick. Is there any difference between walking on water and using a divining rod? There are hundreds of instances of magic (They prefer to call it "miracles") in the Bible. Are they true, or are they just illusions? A devout believer believes that all that magic in the Bible is real. How about you? :)

Compassionist

#6 Post by Compassionist » January 10th, 2018, 10:00 pm

VINDICATOR wrote:Dear Compassionate,
If you were by the sea and saw someone walking on the water, wouldn't you call that magic? Magic is the breaking of the Laws of nature. Modern man believes that the Laws of Nature are immutable, ie. can't be broken. The "magic" we see at magic shows are just illusions and tricks. I once saw a magic show where the magician changed a girl into a tiger! No one believed that it was true. Everyone knew it was only a trick. Is there any difference between walking on water and using a divining rod? There are hundreds of instances of magic (They prefer to call it "miracles") in the Bible. Are they true, or are they just illusions? A devout believer believes that all that magic in the Bible is real. How about you? :)
The truth remains true, regardless of what anyone believes. The Christians punished Galileo for saying that the Earth orbits the Sun when the Christians believed that the Sun orbits the Earth. Despite what the Christians believed, the fact is that the Earth orbits the Sun. I found http://skepticsannotatedbible.com very valuable when it comes to assessing the reliability of the Bible. I am a secular humanist. I want to know the whole truth about all of reality. Currently I am agnostic regarding the existence and nature of all gods. How about you? What is your view of the Bible?