INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

electric sun theory

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
animist

electric sun theory

#1 Post by animist » March 9th, 2017, 10:35 am

http://electric-cosmos.org/sun.htm

does anyone know much/opine much about this?

Tetenterre

Re: electric sun theory

#2 Post by Tetenterre » March 11th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Velikovski-inspired bullshit. ISTR there are pages on it on Bad Astronomy and Rational Wiki.

But thanks for the reminder of its existence; fodder for what may become Part 3 of my "Pseudoastronomy" talks. :smile:
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

tom in napa

#3 Post by tom in napa » April 27th, 2019, 6:42 am

I don’t agree with Tetenterre.

Back when astronomers were saying Earth and Venus are much alike, Velikovski had predicted that Venus is very much hotter than Earth. Astronomers now know that Velikovski was right.

Tetenterre also appears to have missed the irony in what Rational Wiki has.

tom in napa

#4 Post by tom in napa » April 27th, 2019, 6:59 am

To animist:

Take the “/sun.htm” off that URL and what remains will take you to the website of a Dr. Scott who taught electrical engineering for many years at, I think, the University of Massachusetts.

I started college in electrical engineering, and though I finished in mathematics and economics and did graduate work in physics and more mathematics, you can safely bet that Dr. Scott has empirical evidence for what he says.

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » April 29th, 2019, 1:26 pm

tom in napa wrote:I don’t agree with Tetenterre.
:hilarity:
Back when astronomers were saying Earth and Venus are much alike
So when do you think that was, then? (Clue: At least 20 years before Velikovsky wrote Worlds in Collision, it was known - from radiometric studies - that Venus and Earth are not "very much alike".)
Velikovski had predicted that Venus is very much hotter than Earth. Astronomers now know that Velikovski was right.
cherry_picking.jpg
cherry_picking.jpg (84.38 KiB) Viewed 3931 times
#1. In his scattergun production of bullshit, Velikovsky made so many unevidenced assertions that a few lucky guesses are probably inevitable.
#2. His mechanism for the heating of Venus was, to put it as politely as I can manage, implausible complete, unadulterated batshit insanity. A passing acquaintance with orbital mechanics should show you that - as you "did graduate work in physics and more mathematics", the maths should easily be within your capabilities.
you can safely bet that Dr. Scott has empirical evidence for what he says.
Great. Be sure to let us know when it appears on arXiv.

Oh, and Shank's Law.

Second "oh, and": Brian Dunning addressed the Electric Universe BS on Skeptoid a few months back: https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4651 As he says, it's not wrong because it's "alternative science" (that would be ad-hominem); it's wrong because it's wrong.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.