INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

Google speech recog search engine

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Dave B

Google speech recog search engine

#1 Post by Dave B » April 18th, 2016, 6:49 am

Don't think I have mentioned this but . . .

Google's speech recognition search engine can do hard sums. "1 gram times c squared" was easy for it. So I tried something stupid off the top of my head, "1.555 squared times the cube root of 99.7 divided by Avogadros constant". It gave an answer, no idea if it was correct but . . .

I have to declare myself impressed.

PS Will Google become the real "US Robotics" (rather than the current USRobotics who only make modems etc) of Assimov's books I wonder?
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

Re: Google speech recog search engine

#2 Post by Alan H » April 18th, 2016, 10:10 am

Dave B wrote:PS Will Google become the real "US Robotics" (rather than the current USRobotics who only make modems etc) of Assimov's books I wonder?
Too late. They already are. Google own Boston Dynamics. Watch their robots on their youtube channel.
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#3 Post by Dave B » April 18th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Alan H wrote:
Dave B wrote:PS Will Google become the real "US Robotics" (rather than the current USRobotics who only make modems etc) of Assimov's books I wonder?
Too late. They already are. Google own Boston Dynamics. Watch their robots on their youtube channel.
Nah, that's old stuff. I am talking fully autonomous jobs with something close to full AI! Even if the latter is via an uplink. Mind you, in terms of terrain handling autonomy has come a long way recently.

Might be a while before there is a really useful robot, with a decent work:charge ratio so it is not about 75% batteries by weight or bulk though!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » April 18th, 2016, 8:41 pm

[--][/--]It seems that technology is catching up with sc-fi faster and faster.

Speech recognition is a common factor in home and office systems, as is face recognition - at the level of being able to identify an individual by voice and appearance, essential to entrance control on many stories. And coming, soon, to a home near you no doubt.

You can now control most domestic systems via your smart phone, by tapping or by voice, if you have the dosh to fork out for such things. But the technology seems to get both better and cheaper almost by the month, soon every new home may have some sort of remote/robotic management system . Be built in with the plumbing!

So the age of robotics, if not quite Assimov's version yet, could be said to be comming almost common-place in certain ways.

The other side is when your partner "de-permissions" you from being allowed in the house because of some transgression, "Sorry, Dave," says the door-bot, "she has banned you to the dog-house, go get some flowers and wine, it might help." In the books they are usually either very butlerish or quite casual, even cheeky.
Me, 2015

Alan H

#5 Post by Alan H » April 18th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Dave B wrote:The other side is when your partner "de-permissions" you from being allowed in the house because of some transgression, "Sorry, Dave," says the door-bot, "she has banned you to the dog-house, go get some flowers and wine, it might help." In the books they are usually either very butlerish or quite casual, even cheeky.
Like these doors?
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#6 Post by Dave B » April 18th, 2016, 9:53 pm

Or, in that case, insincerely, simperingly commercial! As for the drinks machine . . .

[Must get THHGTTG up on the laptop so I can watch it on the big monitor.]
Me, 2015

Alan H

#7 Post by Alan H » November 16th, 2017, 11:11 pm

Alan Henness