INFORMATION

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are essential to make our site work and others help us to improve by giving us some insight into how the site is being used.

For further information, see our Privacy Policy.

Continuing to use this website is acceptance of these cookies.

We are not accepting any new registrations.

The Internet

Any topic related to science can be discussed here.
Alan H

The Internet

#1 Post by Alan H » March 9th, 2014, 11:23 am

25 things you might not know about the web on its 25th birthday
It sprang from the brain of one man, Tim Berners-Lee, and is the fastest-growing communication medium of all time. A quarter-century on, we examine how the web has transformed our lives
Alan Henness

There are three fundamental questions for anyone advocating Brexit:

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

Re: The Internet

#2 Post by Dave B » March 9th, 2014, 11:41 am

Interesting that, the whole picture seems far too complex now for any one person to understand, the article inevitably posed as many questions as it answered.

I am quite interested, in a casual way, with machines understanding the nuances and context of language. I get the feeling that there are lots of small developments in this area, any interaction with message "recognition" systems at Amazon and other places indicates this. You no longer get a person selecting the appropriate, "We are sorry you have had a bad experience with . . ." reply from a selection on a screen as an answer, a compute does this now! And gets it equally as wrong . . .

Voice recognition on my tablet is still primitive, but a lot better than it was ten years ago. After going through a computer led vocal questionnaire when phoning the tax man I lost my temper when it got it wrong three times in a row. I half expected it to tell me, "You are a very rude person and I can't do things like that anyway"!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Alan H

#3 Post by Alan H » December 20th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Missed this at the time, but you can now browse the first web pages on the WWW: The birth of the web
Alan Henness

1. What, precisely, are the significant and tangible benefits of leaving the EU?
2. What damage to the UK and its citizens is an acceptable price to pay for those benefits?
3. Which ruling of the ECJ is most persuasive of the need to leave its jurisdiction?

Dave B

#4 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Facinating with just a quick look, interesting to see just how much TBL worked out even then!

Nice to see that even he made bloopers though:
HTTP enhancements
Format conversion, authorization, better logging information for statistics.
Mail manager
A hypertext view of a mail archive with lists of messages by author, topic, with links between messages. A friendly face on a mail archive would be a great project management tool.
HTTP enhancements
Format conversion, authorization, better logging information for statistics.
Must have really wanted those enhancements!
"Look forward; yesterday was a lesson, if you did not learn from it you wasted it."
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#5 Post by Tetenterre » December 20th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hah! Anyone else remember using Lynx?
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.

Alan H

#6 Post by Alan H » December 20th, 2015, 3:34 pm

Tetenterre wrote:Hah! Anyone else remember using Lynx?
Lynx? No, I use Right Gua... Oh. No.
Alan Henness

Dave B

#7 Post by Dave B » December 20th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I seem to remember "bulletin boards", in DOS, used by a university tutor friend in about 1990ish

Wikki says:
A bulletin board system, or BBS, is a computer server running custom software that allows users to connect to the system using a terminal program. Once logged in, the user can perform functions such as uploading and downloading software and data, reading news and bulletins, and exchanging messages with other users through email, public message boards, and sometimes via direct chatting. Many BBSes also offer on-line games, in which users can compete with each other, and BBSes with multiple phone lines often provide chat rooms, allowing users to interact with each other. Bulletin board systems were in many ways a precursor to the modern form of the World Wide Web, social networks and other aspects of the Internet. Low-cost, high-performance modems drove online use through the early 1990s, both online services and BBSes. Infoworld estimated there were 60,000 BBS systems serving 17 million users in the US alone in 1994, a collective market much larger than the major online services like CompuServe.
Me, 2015

Tetenterre

#8 Post by Tetenterre » December 20th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Yup, Starbase One was the UK astronomy BBS in the 1990s. Y-modem, Z-modem ... thinking 2400 baud was great because it was so much faster than 300 ... getting my 386 Tosh and being excited because it had a hard disk - a whole 10MB!

Lynx, BTW, was a DOS (& probably other OSs) browser - text only, of course, from the same era.
Steve

Quantum Theory: The branch of science with which people who know absolutely sod all about quantum theory can explain anything.